Exercise - what do you do?

Tracey1404

Enjoyin' my journey....
Hi folks - interested to hear what exercise you do, when you started doing it (start of plan, maintenance, etc) and what difference it makes / has made. My CDC didn't really do too much different on the exercise front, but I am keen to ensure I keep my weight loss going (once it has started that is!!).:)

When I started doing Cambridge, I didn't really increase my exercise much. I was already pretty fit and continued to do what I was doing.

I left the gym stuff until I went up the plans. Continued cardio and resistance at the gym for about 2 years, then gave it up because I wasn't really enjoying it. Now I continue to walk because I love walking and just generally move more throughout the day.

Be careful not to do too much exercise during anything less that 1000. Do what you feel is comfortable and do it for health reasons. It wont make much difference to your weight on a VLCD and can make the scales a little more inpredictable with water fluctuations etc.

Not much! I'm joining the gym once my hernia op is done and I've recovered. But by then I'll have a pile more weight off and hopefully heading towards maintenance, so I'm intending for the gym to both help with the maintenance and tone me up.

I was going to start a bit of jogging at lunchtimes but with Mrs L having swine flu, the kids having chickenpox and a couple of things at work that never happened. That's all over and done now so I'll start that on Monday.

i do swimming and walking, dont know what difference its making as im in week one

before cambridge i would spend 4 hours down the gym ( cardio, resistance and swimming/aqua aerobics ) and i was hating every damn minute of it

Thanks guys - good to hear from you. Glad to hear Mrs L & the kids are better now jim. I think I will stick with walking the dogs for now, and probably consider swimming a month or so in (I have the best unused health club membership in the world!!).

Hiya

I am currently on 1000 and have been doing about 3 hours a week in the gym (two hour n half sessions) and 2 aerobic classes, although they have stopped for summer hols.

I do about 35 mins on cardio (treadmill on a gradiant, rower machine, eliptical trainer and cross trainer) then weights to tone up espcially my arms.

I can see a difference in my arms - got loads more definition and shape. My legs are also starting to tone up, really need to concentrate on the tops though as still a bit unruly!!

I actually enjoy the gym now and i thought if i can get into the habit of this when i do start eating healthly and away from CD i will be able to have the odd treat, not feel guilty and just work a little bit harder the days before!

Good luck x

i've started doing aqua running andits really good. its 45 mins in pool and is hard work but I am really toning up fast and its low impact on your joints. feel a lot more energized for it

Thanks Ruth - I think I will look to do likewise when I move to 1000 - hopefully by Jan 2010. I don't like the gym at all - but mostly (or entirely!) 'cos I feel so overwieght and awkward. Hoping I'll feel better about me when the weight comes off.

Thanks Susan - I used to do aqua fitness many years ago and loved it. I have dodgy knees (inherited problem unfortunately) so running has always been a no-no for me - but with aqua there is no weight to bear. I'll check out my local club and see if its an option.

I have just started CD this Thursday. I have been spinning regular 4-5 times a week. I went this morning and felt fine. I like to look at my hear rate monitor as the calories burned increases good motivation. I can burn up to 400plus calories. Also as I go some weekdays I'm hoping it will take my mind of food

Hi Tracey. I am now on week 14 and I started exercising about week 13. I do at least 30min of aerobics a day, usually a dvd or some cardio workouts I have found online. However I do have dvd's that are up to 1h30min long so it depends how I am feeling to which I chosse. I also walk home from work 3.4 miles at least 3 times a week (5days) and sometimes I will walk both ways in a day.

I cant say I have noticed any change on the scales but I have seen changes to my body. Its only been a short amount of time but I can notice small changes. I think as time goes on I will see bigger improvements.

Its scary though as I did one of the dvd's at my heaviest (19stone+) and its so much easier now. Also I am addicted to excercise something I thought would never happen. I think once I have lost another 2 stone I will look into joining my local council gym for group sessions.

But I agree with KD says if you cant do any excercise dont worry. Also I have spare shakes that my CDC said I can have if I have overdone it, although I havent had one yet. Do what you body will let you and remember the extra water when exercising, I can get in 6litres when I walk and excercise for 45min the same day.

Good luck :D

Last edited:
I'm sooooo jealous! My sister does spinning and I'd love to join her - dodgy knees rule it out entirely! Careful not to burn too many calories though - a 400 cal session will only leave you less than a 100 cals to live on if you are doing SS! Just make sure you keep well.

hi all

I try to go to the gym 3-4 times a week, mainly just cardio programme on the treadmill or a spot of jog/run for about 30-40 mins. I also play badminton on Fridays and planning on joining the works netball team too. When i go onto maintenance and CD becomes cheaper, im going to join a Body pump class. I need someone to shout at me and tell me to keep going.lol

So far, dont think it makes any difference to my losing weight, but i want to continue for the future and then will get loads of walking in with the kids and swimming too.

Sooooooooooo different from my pre-CD days! I did a bit of walking and convinced myself i was doing enough ;-)

anni
xxxxxxxxx

Hi Tracey

Just increasing my walking at present, but I do have a 'horse' exerciser - an IJOY rider that I have never used but plan to exercise daily once my energy levels a bit better.

I've been treadmilling from week 4 and it never makes any difference to weight loss

Just thought I'd add that :D. But. Feels good doing it x

Since starting SS+ I ditched exercise because a) I was warned not to overdo it and b) I had no energy to for the first few weeks anyway. Halfway through SS+ I took a few days off work and myself and DOH had some days out in which much walking and exploring of country parks and historic sites was done... and even all that fairly civilised walking threw a spanner into the works and I had a kind of plateau. CDC said ' take it easy - you did too much!' - and she was right. I pooped myself out completely.

Halfway through I started a second yoga class which has helped to gently tone me as I've shrunk down without affecting the losses.

I did have to give up my other exercise/sport of choice - archery. Was GUTTED about that, but when you're handling a weapon and your strength is variable, anything can happen. Today will be my first day back - it's sunny, there's no wind and I actually feel capable of drawing my bow. If it's successful, effective shoulder and chest toning will shortly follow :)

I've ditched my gym membership and invested in a book called 'The No-gym Workout' by an ex-army PT lady - and it looks like an excellent programme. I've planned that for a little further on in maintenance. Certainly cheaper than my gym membership, and more convenient. Less excuses for not doing it!

Back