Exercise

logansmum

Hi it was my first day yesterday.i did exercise that equaled448 calories.On mfp it seemed to suggest i could eat those calories i used from exercise.Is that correct??

This seems to be the ongoing argument amongst calorie counters. I use MFP too, and I follow it's rules, which included eating your exercise calories back, to keep you at the net number it worked out for you, which includes a defecit to lose at the rate you asked for in your goals.

So, unless I find I'm not losing anymore, I will be relishing eating back every single exercise calorie :DDD

Iwillsoonbeslim yet again we agree :)

logansmum.. The thinking behind it is that you need to feed your body for the work it dose, so if you don't you'll end up getting run down. Caroline g and fattak both wrote very good thread explaining the in's and out's of it... I still haven't worked out how to put a thread link on here so I'm afraid you'll have to rout around a bit..

Best to experiment an see how you go. Everyones different and not every rule works for every person!!
But I deffo advise using exercise cals for treat night etc. It's surprising how much vodka you can drink for gym session!!!

I don't advise working out everyday then eating pizza or burgers every night with the cals tho sadly!! which is a pity coz in theory it should work!!! But in practice I've found it doesn't ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Lego makes a very, very good point.

A few people end the night with, say, 500 calories left from exercise. That's quite a large number food wise, so a lot of people find themselves eating 'treat food' (pizza, burgers, chocolate, crisps and other high cal foods) to make up for this defect since they're convenient late at night after working your ass off at the gym. However these foods are VERY high in sodium (salt) and salt causes the body to hold onto water like crazy. As you probably know if you've ever had to carry a bucket of water, water weighs a lot. So when people 'reclaim' their exercise calories using these treat foods, they will soon find their weight plateauing for weeks on end. This is because of the sodium retention and sadly this means that any true weight they are losing is being canceled out by the water retention caused by the 'exercise calorie' food choices they're making. If you look at some of the calories counting diaries, the people who say "Wow! I had 600 exercise calories to eat back so I ordered a pizza" are always the same people who can go for weeks without the scales budging.

If you are going to eat your exercise calories back then please do it healthily, maybe a tuna bean black pepper salad or something equally clean. You're body (and the scales) will thank you for it :)

Last edited:
happyhealthy, you are fab.

Following 9 weeks of losses, I've STS this week. I'm not too worried, as my monthly visitor arrived early, so I'm thinking it's more that than anything. I have been increasingly dissatisfied with some of the 'big' calories I've been choosing. Although I've been losing, and loving it, I was deffo eating a much cleaner diet on SW. I've gone onto lots of ready meals, chips and pizza since starting CC, which was fun to start with, but I'm really not comfortable with the cr*p I'm putting in my body. Especially as I often have well in excess of 1000 eat-back cals to use, I DO reach for poop.
When I go shopping this week I'm going to stock up on avocadoes - I could easy eat 3/4 a day and bump up these cals in a positive way! I'm sure I'll feel even better for it, too!

Following 9 weeks of losses, I've STS this week. I'm not too worried, as my monthly visitor arrived early, so I'm thinking it's more that than anything. I have been increasingly dissatisfied with some of the 'big' calories I've been choosing. Although I've been losing, and loving it, I was deffo eating a much cleaner diet on SW. I've gone onto lots of ready meals, chips and pizza since starting CC, which was fun to start with, but I'm really not comfortable with the cr*p I'm putting in my body. Especially as I often have well in excess of 1000 eat-back cals to use, I DO reach for poop.
When I go shopping this week I'm going to stock up on avocadoes - I could easy eat 3/4 a day and bump up these cals in a positive way! I'm sure I'll feel even better for it, too!

LOL thank you. I'm no expert, just sharing what's worked for me :D Calorie counting is the best diet ever - if you do it right. Diets like SW are basically sexed up calorie counting BUT with the right foods. If you can incorporate the right foods into calorie counting then you'll be on a roll. I know my food diary isn't exactly a shining example in the first few entries (I was going away on holiday so food had to get eaten) but if you look at my latest food entry from yesterday (http://www.minimins.com/calorie-cou...dition-maintain-67lb-loss-11.html#post3823156 ), it'll give you some idea of what my usual menu is like and what I consider 'eating cleanly' :) It really does work and it makes you feel so much better than eating all the processed rubbish.

iwillsoonbeslim said:

Hi hun i still eat the same types of food i would have on sw when cc. It just makes me feel so much better in myself and i find it makes the cals strech further as im not as hungry/fuller longer.

Funky Monkey, my initial intention was to carry on eating the SW way, but CC at the same time. I quickly found it wasn't going to be that straightforward, for me at least. Whilst on SW I ate TONS of pasta and rice (99% green days, and 99% following the 3rd SF, but still mountains of pasta!). So I've had to tweak my habits quite alot. I'm hoping to find the happy medium over the next couple of weeks though :)

EDIT: Maybe I should add, I've lost over 4 stone, and although I still have a good bit to go, I feel I'm on the home straight now :)

Funky Monkey, my initial intention was to carry on eating the SW way, but CC at the same time. I quickly found it wasn't going to be that straightforward, for me at least. Whilst on SW I ate TONS of pasta and rice (99% green days, and 99% following the 3rd SF, but still mountains of pasta!). So I've had to tweak my habits quite alot. I'm hoping to find the happy medium over the next couple of weeks though :)

EDIT: Maybe I should add, I've lost over 4 stone, and although I still have a good bit to go, I feel I'm on the home straight now :)

You are definitely on the home straight lady!! I love love love pasta to. Like honestly if there was a pasta lovers convention I would be first in the doors. I have pasta almost every second day- sometimes more- at some point in my meal. I use 50g wholewheat (166 calories) and I honestly can't tell the difference between that and the white stuff. Wholewheats are good for you too :D

What I REALLY need to do is pass on all of my unopened-bought-in-bulk packets of pasta and pasta in saices, onto a pal who is still doing SW, and then ONLY have wholewheat in the house. You're right, I can't tell much of a difference either, but I still think I'd struggle with ONLY 50gms! lol

What I REALLY need to do is pass on all of my unopened-bought-in-bulk packets of pasta and pasta in saices, onto a pal who is still doing SW, and then ONLY have wholewheat in the house. You're right, I can't tell much of a difference either, but I still think I'd struggle with ONLY 50gms! lol

I usually after adding in my sauce bulk it up with veg like mushrooms, sweetcorn or pea, or mix it into my bolognese. It appears like you've got a lot more that way!

Well if you've got loads of eat back cals your wasting on crap and 50g pasta is not enough then i have to say.........have a bigger plate of pasta!! I love wholewheat pasta!!! It's really yummy.
Ive never managed to adapt to brown rice tho I do keep forcing it down!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I loooove brown rice, don't really like white rice! Did mean that Thailand wasn't much good for me, no brown rice there! Brown is all nutty and yum, white is just tasteless fluff!

Back