Exercise

Joshimitsu

Beer belly busting
Hey guys and girls,

Just wondering how many of you regularly exercise with atkins (in any phase, though I'm currently induction)?

Does it make that much of a difference? Obviously any kind of exercise is going to be good for you, just wondering if anyone had much success in terms of weight loss. In my head it makes sense as it would surely burn fat quicker?

Cheers,
Josh

I started running 9 weeks ago. As far as I can tell it hasn't helped my weight loss, but I do feel better for it and my BP which was remaining stubbornly high didn't start to come down until I introduced exercise. Now my BP is great.

Ive been for a fitness test today and that included a body fat analysis. As I expected having lost so much weight, my muscle mass needs improving and my body fat percentage is still on the high side of average for a woman of my age. I'm now going to start introducing some resistance exercise and a few weights to try and even up the balance between body fat and muscle a bit.

From all the health and nutrition stuff I've read over the last few months the majority of it says exercise won't help you lose weight any quicker, but it will help your overall health and well being. So for those reasons I do it.

Yeah, I thought that was the case. I guess it is always good to exercise, I'm thinking that it will help even more with definition as the weight loss carries on. I just don't want to end up replacing fat with muscle... the aim is to be smaller not bigger!

Going for a walk every day is unlikely to build huge muscles unless you're doing it with weights strapped to you. That said, due to health issues I can't get out much and I lose fine.

Exercise has been proven not to be helpful in actual weight loss - unless you're going all out for a huge burn - simply because people eat more after it and something like a walk doesn't burn much to begin with.

However it's very worthwhile for toning and general wellbeing to do so moderate exercise when/if you can.

High Intensity Interval Training is proven to improve fat burning by up to 35%

If you don't mind trying running, following a beginners program like the couch to 5k will be a great place to start and will definitely help with weight. I lost 17lb last year in a few weeks just doing this without changing my terrible (at the time) diet.

Bascially it starts off with you walking for 90 seconds then running for 60 seconds for up to half an hour, it's really good.

Cheers all. I think I will actually start running again.. I used to regularly do 1-2mile runs and play a bit of football. I guess I'm a bit concerned that I won't have much energy without carbs.. and that I'm being a bit lazy with the "if it won't help me lose loads of weight then I'm not doing it" attitude haha...

Thanks Jayne I will have to have a look for that, is it a dvd??

No hun, not to my knowledge, just a book with really easy to follow photos and instructions :)

Back