Exercising 3-4 days a week, but scales dont move

Hi,

I started going to the gym about a week ago now, working out 50 minutes cardio and 10-20 toning.

Iv gone up to 790 on these training days, but the increase in food and exercise has done nothing to the scales or tape measure :confused::( I dont think Iv built up muscle as its too soon.

Is this normal?

Thanks

Bm2lm xx

Right, I race mountain bike cross country and I can only lose weight in the winter when im not training so hard. I lost my first 3 stone on cd up until April now the season has started i have maintained, or gone up and down 2lb or so.
I would suggest you only do very low intensity work outs while on ss no longer than an hour. Build a good aerobic base. Once thats in place and you have lost your weight then work on gaining intense fitness ie interval training etc.
I also find i need carbohydrates pre race week and during race week. I need more protein and carbs for the first few days after racing when im in recovery mode.
This is slightly different to going to the gym I know but just gives you an idea how difficult it is to get the balance right.
If you have not trained before you will be toning up and will build muscle but it does take time to filter that through. I suggest you measure yourself as you will find as I do that you are slimmer. I also have an electronic bmi machine to check my bmi.
Athletes have bmi beyond the normal ie some have bmi's of 27 and 28 yet we know they are not fat.
Cambridge have allowed me an extra stone for muscle.
Do stick with it I know its hard when the scales dont move but you will be fitter and healthier.:D

You really shouldn't be doing that level of exercise when on SS or 790 as you haven't got the sugar in your system to curn and cope with it.

I would strongly recommend a toning exercise plan and gentle walks / bike rides to help your weight loss, doing 50 minutes cardio really isn't good and I am surprised you don't feel like you have flu after you have finished it.

Talk to your counsellor but if you want to do exercise like that then look at the 1200/1500 plan as you have sugar in your system to cope with it.

M.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Im just a bit confused, does'nt take much :giggle:

If we burn more kcals than we consume, does'nt that equal a weight loss?

Why have I lost less than last week, even though Im burning more Kcals :confused:

I burn 300-400kcals at the gym and consume just over 400 kcal with my tetra' surly I should see the scales and tape measure move.

Can someone explain the science in very easy terms.

Thanks

bm2lm xx

First things first - 300 calories 3 times a week is only enough to burn quarter of a pound in a week, so you wouldn't expect to see a difference on the scales. Even 400 calories 4 days a week is less than half a pound. Are you exercising just to increase your weight loss? It's a bad idea to use this reasoning when you're on a VLCD because you don't have enough fuel to do the kind of workouts that burn so many calories they make an impact on your weekly weigh in.

You need to drink between one and two extra litres of water on days when you exercise in order to adequately rehydrate. People tend to grossly underestimate how much extra water they need. If you don't properly rehydrate you will retain water and slow down your fat metabolism (very simply, your kidneys need water, and if they don't have enough then the liver has to help them out which means it can't do its own job efficiently).

I'm guessing the reason for a slower loss this week is that you're not drinking enough water, but even if you drink plenty of water, you're not going to see a huge increase in your losses.

Exercise is a great thing and if you are keen to be active I'd recommend sticking with it and moving up to the 1000 or 1200 calorie programme as Icemoose suggests. This will give you enough fuel to work hard and burn more fat. It might sound crazy, but you'd be able to work harder at the gym, eat more, and still see similar results.

I can give you as much science as you want :D but I think this pretty much covers it.

First things first - 300 calories 3 times a week is only enough to burn quarter of a pound in a week, so you wouldn't expect to see a difference on the scales. Even 400 calories 4 days a week is less than half a pound. Are you exercising just to increase your weight loss? It's a bad idea to use this reasoning when you're on a VLCD because you don't have enough fuel to do the kind of workouts that burn so many calories they make an impact on your weekly weigh in.

You need to drink between one and two extra litres of water on days when you exercise in order to adequately rehydrate. People tend to grossly underestimate how much extra water they need. If you don't properly rehydrate you will retain water and slow down your fat metabolism (very simply, your kidneys need water, and if they don't have enough then the liver has to help them out which means it can't do its own job efficiently).

I'm guessing the reason for a slower loss this week is that you're not drinking enough water, but even if you drink plenty of water, you're not going to see a huge increase in your losses.

Exercise is a great thing and if you are keen to be active I'd recommend sticking with it and moving up to the 1000 or 1200 calorie programme as Icemoose suggests. This will give you enough fuel to work hard and burn more fat. It might sound crazy, but you'd be able to work harder at the gym, eat more, and still see similar results.

I can give you as much science as you want :D but I think this pretty much covers it.

Thaks hun :)

You've helped me to understand it :):)

You're right about the water,Im not drinking enough on the days I train, Im only drink about 2-3 lts:eek:, so its way off.

Il up the water and reduce the intensity, hopefully Il see a loss next time.

Thanks again

Bm2lm xx

Just for your interest also I cycled out to my cc 15 miles by the time i had got there I had gained 2lb when i got home i was showing the same gain. Within three hours of resting the 2lb had gone again. Fluid retention. funny old thing how it happens.:tear_drop:

Back