expense

Bibaloo

Hello all!

Today i have realised that if i dont cut costs doing this, i simply cant continue. Last year when i was successful i had a smaller mortgage and because im trying to keep variety so i dont get bored, its just too expensive. Im constantly topping up on meat and eggs. Ive tried buying things on offer and cheaper cuts (basic ends of smoked salmon etc) but frankly its not very nice!!
Any suggestions?
Its getting sillt how much of my wage is going to tesco!

Its worth getting yourself to Lidl or Aldi, the meat, in my opinion, is much nicer and alot cheaper. Or even Iceland! I get a lot of my steak in the co-op coz its always being reduced, i just freeze it and it's fine!

I too find Dukan a ta expencive especially if both my partner are doing it, I have ti ask him to help me with the bill coz im on quite a strict budget.

Farm food places (or whatever its called) isnt an option for me coz there isnt one! Also I get really stuck with lunch time meals so I end up going out and buying pre-cooked chickens etc!

I wish I could help but as a terrible cook and a reluctant shopper I have nothing.....I realised I would have to spend more on food than usual for at least three months, a small price to pay really as I have lost weight quickly and feel great. I'll be looking to make some savings at conso and stabilisation, and I won't be throwing as much out without these alternating pp pv days. Also worth remembering is that I used to spend a lot on decent wine, which I haven't missed, so I guess it balances out.

I found Dukan cheaper than my previous shop, when I remembered to include the snacks, meals and drinks out I was no longer having, and the rubbish I used to buy on the side regularly! Now that I'm healthy eating, I'm finding it far dearer than Dukan actually, as I'm still eating the lean meat etc (ok smaller quantities) but also fruit, more veg, etc, and eat out more often!

Agree about Lidl and Aldi. So far this is costing more as there are 2 of us doing it and we cant fill up on cheap carbs. Spending a fortune on eggs and meat but saving money on eating out and take aways. Farmfoods is cheap for rhubarb and prawns. I also find Morrisons quite reasonable for meat and its decent quality.Morrisona also sell wheat bran and its cheaper than Holland and Barrett.

Yes, it is expensive. I thought that with no wine, (normally about 3 bottles a week) far less eating out, carrying my own lunch etc that it would even out, but no the budget is stretched. Also instead of online shopping I'm going into supermarkets and shops looking for variety so there is a time factor too. I have put a ban on ALL clothes until there is nothing in the cupboard that fits, but want to save that all up for a big splurge.

I guess the expense is the things things we never would have bought, but it is partially balanced by the stuff we are not buying. We use less bread a week, no sweets, biscuits and crisps and less fruit in teh house. I used to spend 10-15 on fruit and veg every week.

Aldi mince is £2.49 for large pack, reduced fat cheaper than Asda
Aldi skimmed milk powder £1.49 and sweetner is 95p All cheaper than Asda.
Goji berries are cheaper at Asda than anywhere else.
Oatbran is bought from H&B when its on offer (2nd bag is half price at the moment)
Asda SP salmon trimmings is 90p a pack which makes it cheaper, esp if I use it for two meals.
farm Foods Rhubarb and crabsticks are cheaper
Morrisons do bags of frozen mussels for £1 (cheaper than FF)
Morrisons Quark is cheaper than asda
Asda Smart price frozen prawns are £1.50 for a smaller bag and when buying two bags it still works out cheaper than a normal bag from Farmfoods or Youngs.
Asda SF Jellies 4 for £1 instead of 33p each for hartleys

I do shop around LOL, and make a list of the things I want, with a limited weekly budget and try to make it all work. Occaisionally it doesn't like anything, but I try.

It also helps sometimes to do an online shop and that way you can get only the things you need without the extras that always end up in the trolley.

sorry I kind of took over there, but a bargains a bargain and we all need them eh?

DF.......will you do my shopping this week please xxx

sididd said:
DF.......will you do my shopping this week please xxx

... And get someone to cook it all as well whilst you're at it :D

I guess the expense is the things things we never would have bought, but it is partially balanced by the stuff we are not buying. We use less bread a week, no sweets, biscuits and crisps and less fruit in teh house. I used to spend 10-15 on fruit and veg every week.

Aldi mince is £2.49 for large pack, reduced fat cheaper than Asda
Aldi skimmed milk powder £1.49 and sweetner is 95p All cheaper than Asda.
Goji berries are cheaper at Asda than anywhere else.
Oatbran is bought from H&B when its on offer (2nd bag is half price at the moment)
Asda SP salmon trimmings is 90p a pack which makes it cheaper, esp if I use it for two meals.
farm Foods Rhubarb and crabsticks are cheaper
Morrisons do bags of frozen mussels for £1 (cheaper than FF)
Morrisons Quark is cheaper than asda
Asda Smart price frozen prawns are £1.50 for a smaller bag and when buying two bags it still works out cheaper than a normal bag from Farmfoods or Youngs.
Asda SF Jellies 4 for £1 instead of 33p each for hartleys

I do shop around LOL, and make a list of the things I want, with a limited weekly budget and try to make it all work. Occaisionally it doesn't like anything, but I try.

It also helps sometimes to do an online shop and that way you can get only the things you need without the extras that always end up in the trolley.

sorry I kind of took over there, but a bargains a bargain and we all need them eh?

I think you won champion shopper there.

Alaso some safer versions in store have less cat and sugar than the low calories range and are cheaoer. e.g Morrison cottage cheese is only 79p per carton in saver range and has less fat/sugar

LOL, I hate shopping but I hate spending money more, so I do like to shop about.

I also found that Asda smart price cottage cheese has less fat and carbs than their other 'own' brand of cottage cheese.

I bought some jelly moulds the other day so that I can get a proper four portions of jelly out of a packet instead of three. A bit annoyed cos they aren't 100% non leak.

Trial and error with most things these days.

LOL, I hate shopping but I hate spending money more, so I do like to shop about.

I also found that Asda smart price cottage cheese has less fat and carbs than their other 'own' brand of cottage cheese.

I bought some jelly moulds the other day so that I can get a proper four portions of jelly out of a packet instead of three. A bit annoyed cos they aren't 100% non leak.

Trial and error with most things these days.

empty greek yoghurt cartons are a godsend for portioning jelly etc ... i keep them & the lids

I kept loads of old WW frozen pudding pots for my jelly, or just buy 4 of the SF hartleys one and keep them for when you make your own

I do hope you lot watch "Superscrimpers"! ;)

I love it but where does the hostess get her dress "sense" from?!

P x

Ok so I have saved my 4 pots and portioned my jelly, how many can / should I have a day? I seem to just eat them really, make them in 1 pot and just go for the whole thing sometimes! :D

Thanks Zoe

I cant see that extra portion making such a massive difference though

Paulinegin said:
I do hope you lot watch "Superscrimpers"! ;)

I love it but where does the hostess get her dress "sense" from?!

P x

Watching it now :D

Back