Extra Lean Mince - no longer lean!!

aliscrapper

Hi

I just came across this on the Slimmning World website. Sorry if it has been posted elsewhere but I didn't want anyone else to be "caught out" thinking their mince was syn free on a red or extra easy day.

I had Sainsburys Be Good to Yourself British Pork Mince this weekend thinking it was syn free and have just found out it is 1.5 syns per 100g!!:cry:

"Recent research has shown that extra lean lamb, pork and turkey mince is no longer readily available in supermarkets.
If you come across a Food Optimising recipe that uses one of these extra lean minces and you’re unable to get hold of it, we recommend that you ask your butcher to mince very lean meat for you (with no skin if it’s poultry) or you mince your own at home. This way you can guarantee it’s Free!
Our database currently shows that there are no packs of extra lean lamb mince available in UK or Irish supermarkets and only the following turkey and pork mince:
  • Tesco Healthy Living Pork Mince, chilled, 500g pack
  • Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Free Range Turkey Mince, chilled, 500g pack
Fortunately extra lean beef mince is still readily available in all the major retailers."

We've know that it was really difficult to get extra lean mince other than the beef so it's good to see it in black in white.

We've know that it was really difficult to get extra lean mince other than the beef so it's good to see it in black in white.

Hopefully Slimming World will release some kind of list which details what is available in the supermarkets with the syn values.:)

so the be good to yourself pork mince isn't extra lean then? It's just lean? x

Unfortunately it looks that way.:cry: I had it at the weekend and I thought it was a little more greasy than I would expect from extra lean mince.:cry:

Just always check the fat content per 100g on the back. It needs to be 5g or less per 100g to be extra lean and 15g or less per 100g to be lean.

Just always check the fat content per 100g on the back. It needs to be 5g or less per 100g to be extra lean and 15g or less per 100g to be lean.

Oh wow - that's so helpful - thank you!:D I only do 1 day red out of 7 and have only recently started doing red days so am still getting my head round it.

Never knew this. Just tried to rep you and hit return before I'd finished writing. I was trying to say thank you!!

I've never been able to buy extra lean lamb mince for years, but I thought turkey mince would be lean anyway? Maybe not.

Time to buy a mincer perhaps!!

Never knew this. Just tried to rep you and hit return before I'd finished writing. I was trying to say thank you!!

I've never been able to buy extra lean lamb mince for years, but I thought turkey mince would be lean anyway? Maybe not.

Time to buy a mincer perhaps!!

Your very welcome. Didn't want anyone else to be caught out having extra syns without knowing.:cry:As I only have 1 red day a week; I think I'm going to wait until Slimming World bring out a list we can check and go back to having 7 green days which I find easier anyhow.:D

Thank you for rep me - I've only been using this forum for about a month and never realised you could do this & there is so many great comments and tips on this forum; I find it an invaluable source of information and support!:D

Tesco cubed lamb is less than 5% fat so I whizz that in the food processor for kebab or burgers.

Tescos healthy eating extra lean beef mince is free!
(both frozen AND chilled)

It has to have less then 5% fat

Those that go to groups if your C hasn't already there is a sheet they can print from the C webpage with the syns of all the minces

I think the extra lean tescos mince was the only free on there

It has to have less then 5% fat

Those that go to groups if your C hasn't already there is a sheet they can print from the C webpage with the syns of all the minces

I think the extra lean tescos mince was the only free on there

Thanks - will ask my Consultant tomorrow.:D

Ohh I did not realise the frozen was free! I didn't buy it last week because I couldn't see that it said extra lean anywhere. Now I know that it's free that is brill!

yeah it was on the list my C had which was a releif as i buy it lol i also only buy the healthy eating chilled too lol

another thing my C said was you can ask a butcher to mince meat for you say you buy x amount of lamb chops you can ask them to trim fat and mince it

Does anyone know if you can put it in food processor? Does it come out like mince?! X

Not like mince, smoother. But sticks together well for the kebab meat recipe and burgers.

Back