Extra Oatbran - Issues?

Discussion in 'Dukan Diet' started by Brownie_Earthquake, 12 June 2011 Social URL.

1. Brownie_Earthquake

Brownie_Earthquake Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st6lb
    Current Weight:
    9st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    1st11lb(15.63%)
    Diet:
    Dukan
    Can anyone tell me if there are any negative side effects from having additional oatbran?

I know you have to be wary of vitamin intake and medicine etc. but I wondered there are any other issues from exceeding the stated amount.

I know the book states it's OK to have extra occassionally.

Thanks everyone.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. m-mouse

m-mouse Not very good at this!

Start Weight:
    15st8lb
    Current Weight:
    10st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st4lb
    Lost(%):
    4st10lb(30.28%)
    Diet:
    dukan - conso
    I'm sure I read on the latest live chat that you could have 2 extra tbspns as a tolerated item.

doctordj : two table spoon of oat bran is allowed in the cruise phase, but some desserts in the planned meals use oat bran. This plus breakfast pancake (oatbran) pushes it over the limit on some days. Is this OK, or do you prefer to refrain from either pancake or the oatbran dessert on those days.

sonja : Hi Doctor and welcome to the chat! Actually two extra table spoons of oat bran are considered as one tolerated and you are allowed to have two tolerated per day. Then if you plan to eat your whole dessert of course don't have your pan cake in the morning but if you just want to have one piece that's fine. Keep going and have a nice day!

4. Brownie_Earthquake

Start Weight:
    11st6lb
    Current Weight:
    9st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    1st11lb(15.63%)
    Diet:
    Dukan
    OK, good to know, thanks!

I didn't know if extra oatbran could cause digestive issues though? Any ideas?

5. scrumper

scrumper Gold Member

Start Weight:
    15st6.0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st6.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st8lb
    Lost(%):
    2st13.2lb(19.07%)
    Diet:
    Dukan / bodytrim
    i dont think theres too much of an issue dr d says bulimics can have up to 3 galettes a day if they have the need ...
    I think if you need it have it just dont use a whole packet xx

6. Teasey

Teasey Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st9lb
    Current Weight:
    11st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Dukan
    What you should keep in mind is that the point of the Dukan diet is that you aim for low carbs and low fat. Oatbran is a carb. It's allowed but only because it fills us up and helps with transit. But it's allowed in strictly restricted quantities

If you experience transit issues then add a tablespoon of wheatbran to your oatbran in cruise but I would avoid having too much extra oatbran, especially if you're having it every day because I'd say it would slow your weightloss right down

7. Brownie_Earthquake

Start Weight:
    11st6lb
    Current Weight:
    9st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    1st11lb(15.63%)
    Diet:
    Dukan
    I appreciate that oatbran is a carb - but as I am on no-dairy diet, I am on virtually no carbs at all.

I know that Dukan is minimal carb diet (and I have adhered to that since starting the diet over a year ago) but I often feel that I like a little extra oatbran, sometimes a couple of teaspoons sometimes tablespoons; since I lack all other carbs, relatively speaking I don't think it's the worst addition to make, although I guess it may explain why I am stalling yet again.

However I did wonder overall what the effect of additional oatbran is on the digestive system.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

8. Topaz63

Topaz63 Gone a bit quiet

Start Weight:
    12st7lb
    Current Weight:
    10st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st9lb(13.14%)
    Diet:
    Dukan
    Take yr point about the amount of carb you are having. And you are at goal any way. I would think that it's better to have more oatbran than be pushed towards breaking the diet with something else. I have done that a couple of times when I had a 'hole in my stomach' in the evening.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.