Fair, forty but not fat!

No seriously I want details!!! Or are you just going to be eating dust?!?!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Hubby went to Lidl yesterday. Portions are going to be slightly smaller, but he has managed to do me a salad for under 50p - lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber. No dressing. It'll be a smoked mackerel salad. There's an orange jelly for pud. Tonight's meal is just vegetable soup, but it's one of those filling soups with potato. I've got about 9p remaining, so I can have a digestive or two if I'm hungry later...

Not too bad for day 1. I'll miss my fruit though.

Last edited:
Halfway through today and I'm not feeling any hungrier than normal. Lunch wasn't as nice as usual - the lettuce was a bit bland with no dressing and there wasn't as much mackerel as I'd normally have had. The jelly filled the gap more than normal fruit does though.

Soup is on cooking. Veggies and blissfully cheap, so this is a pretty hearty broth. Then that's day 1 done for 91p.

4 more days to go...

Amazing!!! Think of the money you could have for pretty shoes, lol!!!

It's really making me think. I work with deprived families every day so I have some understanding, but the true reality is much worse than I ever really considered... imagine only being able to provide that for your children... awful!!!

Lentils are a good and cheap filler as are beans, peas and chickpeas if you cook them in a pressure cooker. I have lived in India and had friends who lived on such things most days along with vegetables and roti (wholemeal flour and water) only having meat or fish once or twice a week and their food was always delicious and nourishing.
Lots of people in the Western World waste so much food and now don't know how to cook "real" food.

I've got a split pea and parsnip idea for tonight. Going to have to play around when I get home from work to see what I can do with that. I can have 2 parsnips for about 7p, so it's got to be good - right?

Weighed myself this morning, and bizarrely I'm 1lb heavier than I was yesterday. Must be water retention. There's no way I could have gained weight after what I ate yesterday!

Lunch today was a rather soggy sardine salad. I had a handful of raisins too. Getting home, I've had a large cup of Scotch broth and half a Breakaway biscuit. Parsnips have been shunted onto tomorrow's menu.

I honestly don't know how people can do this all the time.

You are amazing!!!

I don't know about amazing. I'm still going, so that's something :)

Day 3 and I'm feeling ok, despite eating a fair bit less. Surprisingly, I'm only half a lb down on where I was at the start of the week, but maybe that's not so much of a surprise as I'm not watching calories. Having said that, I don't think there's been a vast amount of calories in anything I've eaten at all (bread and pasta are a no-no for me, which restricts things enormously this week)

Lunch today is jelly round 2 and half a mackerel salad - the same as Monday, but it needs to be finished off. Looking forward to roast parsnips and pease pudding tonight. Think I'll have a bit of £ left, so might get the second half of my breakaway biscuit, unless one of the gannets here has snaffled it...

The kids ate the half-a-breakway biscuit.

I have gained revenge and eaten half of one of their kit-kats. Ha!

Remainder of the £1 today was a salad with some peppered mackerel (the bit I didn't eat on Monday), a pot of strawberry jelly, roast parsnips and a pease pudding dip. I'm hungry.

I had a feeling that they might have... little scamps!!!

How many days do you have left? Xxx

Only until Saturday morning. I can do this.

Especially as the pease pud was nice and filling ;)

I looked at the web site and as soon as I saw it was Oxfam etc I would not give them a penny of my money or do any thing for them.
Too many fat cats getting rich on other peoples efforts.

I give money to families I know in India which does not go through 3rd parties like Oxfam or has money creamed off for their inflated salaries

Sorry but this is my view -

Only until Saturday morning. I can do this.

Especially as the pease pud was nice and filling ;)

If all i had to look forward to was pease pudding i would have crumbled after day 1!! Yuck!!

I can't believe how well you have done chick. Almost there now. :)

That's fair enough, systema, but Oxfam isn't the charity I'm raising money for. I've chosen a smaller charity that works with disabled children in areas of extreme poverty. It's something personal to me and I'm glad to help, just as you are through your method.

Thank you Squeezy! Hubby came up trumps tonight with end of the day veggies and some very cheap frozen chicken (not much of it, but I have been missing meat like crazy - which is odd, because I really didn't think I would) I've had 1/4 of a pot of custard and another sardine salad today. That's it :/

One day left...

Thank you :) I've just had my last meal and am feeling absolutely shattered. Glad I'm back on normal bits and pieces tomorrow.

I'll do a weigh-in in the morning, but it looks like I've lost 2 lbs in 5 days - which is a real bonus!

Well done Moog!!! Hope you're treating yourself to something expensive today!!! Xxx

Breakfast at Betty's :D

Yum, enjoy!!!

Back