Fantastic diet-friendly products that you've discovered!

Jaycey

Post-Menopausal Maniac!
Have you discovered any new and amazing products that we could all use, and which won't add any calories (well, not too many anyway!)? :)

These are my main two faves of the moment:

• Salad Light (one-calorie balsamic salad dressing spray - made from balsamic vinegar, olive oil, mustard & garlic - I also use it instead of oil in my dry-fry pan)

• Tesco Fragrant Thai Blend (a blended puree of Thai herbs such as lemon grass - a tiny bit spread on a piece of chicken makes it taste like Thai Green Curry)
Both these things have hardly any calories, and I'm using them more and more, as they both taste great.

Has anyone else found any fab products out there? (I'll post more if I find them.) Or have you discovered any interesting new uses for ordinary herbs and spices? (I always put ground ginger in my black coffee, for instance.)
Do tell! :)

plain old curry powder with some veg and fish and some veg soup mix makes a kind of curried fish stew thing!

did you see the thread on psyllium husks?

Jacey, where do you get your salad light from sounds yum in my tum?
I got mine in Asda, but I've seen it in Tesco too. It can be found alongside its sister product Fry Light (which I've used for years) in the cooking oils area. There's nothing wrong with Fry Light, but Salad Light has a great flavour and seems a very handy item to have around (you can spray it on veg or fish as well as just salad). :)

(As I said, I use mine in my dry-fry pan, but it might not be 'oily' enough to fry in an ordinary one?)

Give it a go, Lin18! :)

did you see the thread on psyllium husks?
I saw it but didn't read it - I thought they were only for constipation! :D (Which I'm thankfully not suffering from at the moment!)

I've heard about people adding them to porridge but not to anything else? :confused: :eek:

Just thought I'd post another product here - I didn't buy it for the diet, it was on my shelves anyway, but I've rediscovered it!

Basically it's concentrated liquid stock - I've got the Oxo chicken one but there are other makes (and flavours). I find that just a couple of drops transforms a bland soup and makes it really tasty.

It's 173 calories per 100ml, but the whole bottle is 160ml, and I really am talking about 2-3 drops! So it can't make that much difference.

The booklet does say that you can have "a little stock" on your meal, but I haven't tried using this on a chicken dish yet (it's great in normal cooking - gives a lovely flavour).

for me, cottage cheese. never used to have it but LOVE IT now.

i am going to try that thai paste, thai green curry is my favourite!

I have never been able to find that balsamic spray.... i did look in Asda... I dont want it right now.. but must look again!! they do the other ranges.

x

Does anyone shop at M&S and know what sort of "sprays" they do there? Like the salad light?

My dad does the weekly shopping at Tesco but he won't get that stuff for me, and all the supermarkets are a good 30 minute drive for me... and I don't drive! lol

Ohh the joys of having a hubby who runs a supermarket! I am sooo going to get him to order me some salad light in for when I eventually hit my 810 week, it sounds delicious!

for me, cottage cheese. never used to have it but LOVE IT now.

i am going to try that thai paste, thai green curry is my favourite!
Check out this recipe for cottage cheese:-

Herbed Cottage Cheese - All Recipes ......It really livens it up!

Regarding the Tesco herb and spice blends, my fave is the Thai one, but they also do a chilli one which is great (I mixed a bit with my cottage cheese tonight, before stuffing a chicken fillet with it) and other flavours too, like garlic etc. - well worth trying, as you only need a tiny bit! :)

PS. I didn't realise Salad Light was so hard to get hold of! I'll look in other supermarkets as and when I go in them, to see who stocks it. (Don't know about M&S tho' - I rarely buy food in there and don't really know what they've got?)

Last edited:
I've just been to Sainsburys and hunted down the balsamic spray dressing and lo and behold they had a ceasar salad one there as well :D
Will report back on the taste tomorrow.

Annie x

I've got another product I use that people might be interested in - it's called BacOs Chips, and they are bacon flavour soya chips. They are SO yummy and taste completely of bacon - I sprinkle a few in my soups before blending, and you end up with lots of little bacony flakes that give a fantastic flavour. You can also mix them into sauces or put them on salad (also OK for veggies).

A 7g serving contains 30 calories and 1.8g of carbs, but 7g is a LOT and there's no way I would use anywhere near that much, it's just not necessary. (I just measured it to see how much that was.) I got them from some supermarket, most likely Asda or Tesco as those are the ones I use the most. Hope you can find them! :)
I've just been to Sainsburys and hunted down the balsamic spray dressing and lo and behold they had a ceasar salad one there as well :D
Will report back on the taste tomorrow.

Annie x
Wow, I love Caesar salad! Will await your testing with interest...:D

Last edited:
Jacey, I am happy to report that the Ceasar style spray dressing is yummy :D

Annie x
Great thanks - that's DEFO one for the shopping list!! :D:D

I'll be looking out for that ceasar dressing spray too.....I love chicken ceasar salad (minus the croutons and parmesan of course!). I have a herby italian rub recipe which is lush on chciken breast or your white fish.....1 tspn each of dried oregano, thyme, basil and mustard powder. Grind together, spray your chicken or fish with frylight and rub the stuff on. Grill or bake. I'ts lush! xxx

Back