FAO runners/joggers help needed.

salsaqueen

About 12 days ago I started walking to get fitter for a 5k in sept. I walk 4 times around the outside of a local field and OH thinks that its roughly 5k. Last week I managed to walk 3 times and trot/jog slowly round the 4th lap.

This morning I went out to do it after a rest of about 4 days and although I walked ok I couldn't manage to jog a whole lap which really upset me and I felt I was going backwards fitness wise.

The only differance today was that it was quite warm weahter wise and I didnt have breakfast before I went, also felt a bit sick when I was trotting (to call it jogging is a bit of a stretch)

Is it normal to do/feel better some days than others? should I push through it or just relax and do what I can? Bit confused to know what is best.

I'm so determined to run this 5k for my dad who died of dementia and I don't want to let myself or dad down. Sorry for rambling.

Absolutely normal. Some days every fibre in your body is telling you to stop at 5k, which is so frustrating when you know you can quadruple that other days.

You know your body, if you can push through it, do it, but other times you just have to stop.
"Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice which at the end of the day says 'I will try again tomorrow' "

So, go back out at the next opportunity and you'll probably do it without any problems.

That sounds perfectly normal, and I know exactly where you are coming from. Some days when I exercise I find I can achieve much more than others. I try to exercise mostly in the morning and I can really tell when I've not had my breakfast before hand. I really struggle. Also when its too hot I find it harder or if my muscles are still a bit tired from the last time I exercised.

But it sounds like you are doing really well, definitely keep at it and you will be running the 5k in no time! Just listen to what your body is telling you and don't worry if you cant 'beat' what you did the last time you exercised as everything you do manage will be helping build your stamina/fitness. :)

Also, when you run you have the "toxic 10" where the first 10mins are the hardest as your body tries to convince you you don't need to run. If you were jogging 1.5k then most would have been in the toxic 10 so ye, push through it.

omg sooooo normal! my fitness changes daily with things like that! sometimes i can run and run and run, other times a few minutes kills me. keep it up, you will get fitter x

Thanks everyone.

Was begining to feel that I wasn't going to make the grade "running" but I so want to do this. Besides I've just booked for another 5k fun run on the 26th sept in MK raising for Parkinsons which is the other thing dad had so I have just got to do it. Failing is not an option.

Nice to know about the toxic ten mins, I'd never heard of that also keep telling myself it will get easier as that weight comes off.

One more question as to "style" when jogging. My stride is quite small as I'm only 5ft and do not have long legs, also I'm trying to go slow so I could hold a conversation (recomended on a website) but my quads really ache when jogging like that, also getting a bit of cramp in my right foot even when walking, do you think new trainers would help?

One more question as to "style" when jogging. My stride is quite small as I'm only 5ft and do not have long legs, also I'm trying to go slow so I could hold a conversation (recomended on a website) but my quads really ache when jogging like that, also getting a bit of cramp in my right foot even when walking, do you think new trainers would help?

Were you trainers fitted properly? If you are serious about getting into running I'd go to a good running shop (up and running or sweatshop) and have a gait analysis, which is free if you buy shoes from there. They will see if your feet roll inwards, outwards or are neutral, and recommend shoes with support in from there.
Although, I don't know if poor shoes tend to make quads ache, more the knees and shins. Worth it though.

Just some old nike air trainers that I've had a couple of years and my daughter nicks from time to time when she can't find hers for PE.

If you go onto the walk jog run website, you can measure your route so you know how far you're going, and rather encouragingly, if you put in your weight and pace, it works out how many calories you've burnt!

I always find that the second run is harder than the first of the week, so you're not alone

Hey hun, I would really recommend getting your trainers probably fitted at a running shop and also do you use an ipod/mp3 palyer when you exercise - you may find it useful to work out to music - The Biggest Loser soundtrack keeps me going and also using a walk to run 5km application which tells you when to run (normally 1 minute each time with a walk in between for the first few weeks and then you gradually increase) - as you know I did the RfL yesterday and had been using one of these apps in the weeks leading up to it and it really did help! All the top marathon runners are encouraged to do walk/run sessions xxx

Hey hun, I would really recommend getting your trainers probably fitted at a running shop and also do you use an ipod/mp3 palyer when you exercise - you may find it useful to work out to music - The Biggest Loser soundtrack keeps me going and also using a walk to run 5km application which tells you when to run (normally 1 minute each time with a walk in between for the first few weeks and then you gradually increase) - as you know I did the RfL yesterday and had been using one of these apps in the weeks leading up to it and it really did help! All the top marathon runners are encouraged to do walk/run sessions xxx

The 'top' marathon runners? Not to be rude, but never once have I read anything about top marathon runners doing a walk/run program. That is absurd, the entire point of elite marathon runners is an endurance event, they build endurance through long mileage, and speed through speedwork where they stop after a shorter distance, but not walk and then start again... I can't think of a better definition of 'junk mileage' expending energy without gain.

Were you trainers fitted properly? If you are serious about getting into running I'd go to a good running shop (up and running or sweatshop) and have a gait analysis, which is free if you buy shoes from there. They will see if your feet roll inwards, outwards or are neutral, and recommend shoes with support in from there.
Although, I don't know if poor shoes tend to make quads ache, more the knees and shins. Worth it though.

I totally agree with you Jemma, the most important thing when running is a good pair of trainers, and at runners world (or many other sport shops) they measure how your feet roll when running, here's a short explaination.
I know this all sounds a bit over the top but it is important to have a pair of shoes that best supports and cushions your foot when running.
Personally I used to find that running at my own pace was the best way to train, if I slowed down or sped up to run with someone else it would tire me out very quickly.
I agree in part with the theory about being able to talk while running, the idea is that you don't go too fast to be able to comfortably breathe, as this will tire you out quicker.
The walk / run training cycle is supposed to be the best for your condition, but I found it more tiring and it would cause me to have cramps so I would just stick at a constant pace and only walk at the end (to cool down), but this is personal and not a recommendation.
Some days are going to be more difficult than others so don't worry if you have to slow down or stop, if you push yourself too much you could hurt yourself, so never run at top speed or to your maximum ability whilst training.
I always found that it helps to do stretching exercises (or a short slow run) the day after training.

Unfortunately I have to be very careful with running nowadays as I have back problems but I hope when I lose a bit more weight and strengthen my back some more that I will be able to pick it up again.

congratulations on your achivements so far and keep up the training, I really hope you manage to do this run for such a good cause.

Back