Fasting -BBC's horizon

I've been reading a lot about intermittent fasting, but haven't given it a go yet. I think I will wait until I hit the next plateau. I certainly know that after watching my mum have gastric bypass they instantly said that she was no longer diabetic & that made me look up and find studies for 500 calories and the relationship of low calories and insulin resistance. In my opinion (which doesn't count for much I know) if you are thinking of doing it and feel you need to then do it and see what happens.

Look forward to hearing the results x

I've not seen the program, but I have heard of this type of eating. I think even Bob Harper (of Biggest Lower) recommends 2 days a week of low calorie. IMHO, I think mainting weight loss by "dieting/fasting/eating 500 cal a day" 2 days a week surely beats being fat and dieting 7 days a week. I may incorporate it into my maintenance plan when I reach goal.

My boss is doing this and he's lost two stones so far so it's working for him. Personally I couldn't do it, I dislike being hungry and I get a bit grumpy without a good breakfast!

I watched this back when it first came on the tv. I was shocked when I watched it, what an eye-opener. I'd heard about fasting before so it kinda confirmed what i'd already heard. I think the evidence in the programme is staggering. Especially given the fact that we're all "told" to eat 6 small meals a day. Well this blows all that up into the air doesn't it.

I had a long think about it and I decided to go for daily fasting. So I started fasting for 14 hours a day, it sounded hard but wasn't at all, you can fast whenever you want (time wise) So I started my fast at 8pm and finished at 10am the next day. So it doesn't involve skipping meals, all it involves is not snacking at night and having breakfast a bit later than normal. First 3 days my stomach was aching for breakfast but after that, it was so natural, I totally got used to it. This is so so easy ladies, and i'd say fasting daily is alot easier than fasting for full days.

I did it for about 2 weeks and lost 5lbs. Oh and I forgot to say during my "non fasting times" I was eating as normal, I know this isn't the healthiest option, but I was having my usual crisps/chocolate/sandwiches, normal food basically.

Easiest diet ever. Plan to go back on it in January.

littlemiss said:
I watched this back when it first came on the tv. I was shocked when I watched it, what an eye-opener. I'd heard about fasting before so it kinda confirmed what i'd already heard. I think the evidence in the programme is staggering. Especially given the fact that we're all "told" to eat 6 small meals a day. Well this blows all that up into the air doesn't it.

I had a long think about it and I decided to go for daily fasting. So I started fasting for 14 hours a day, it sounded hard but wasn't at all, you can fast whenever you want (time wise) So I started my fast at 8pm and finished at 10am the next day. So it doesn't involve skipping meals, all it involves is not snacking at night and having breakfast a bit later than normal. First 3 days my stomach was aching for breakfast but after that, it was so natural, I totally got used to it. This is so so easy ladies, and i'd say fasting daily is alot easier than fasting for full days.

I did it for about 2 weeks and lost 5lbs. Oh and I forgot to say during my "non fasting times" I was eating as normal, I know this isn't the healthiest option, but I was having my usual crisps/chocolate/sandwiches, normal food basically.

I do this too, don't eat from 10pm to noon every day, but I'm not sure it counts as fasting, does it?! :) xx

Think I agree with you Tracy. This can't be true fasting as we do that anyway

I do agree it was a fascinating programme and is definately worth researching more.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

This is what I'm doing except I fast for 19 hours daily and have a five hour eating window. I'm only starting so don't know what it'll be like yet. I've done 2 days so far, and I have noticed one thing I like to break my fast with something healthy like fruit, yogurt and nuts as if I feel my body deserves some decent nutrition. After that it goes a bit pear shaped but I'm hoping that will improve as time goes by.

toofatkat said:
Think I agree with you Tracy. This can't be true fasting as we do that anyway

I do agree it was a fascinating programme and is definately worth researching more.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Yes, I think it needs to be for at least 16 hours a day, according to the research that was done, and I can't quite manage that, lol. As you say, most people "fast" for 12 hours anyway, I've just extended mine a bit because I've found it works well for me. :) xx

littlemiss said:
They said it on the Horizon programme - I think I also have a link that says it, i'll see what I can dig out.

I've found it, thanks. It seems to work for me, i eat around 1400 cals over the course of the other 10 hours. xx

Yes, exactly.

This is what I love so much about the whole fasting thing. Alot of people naturally fast without even realising it. Infact as mentioned in the programme, alot of people who fast and eat normally at other times (not cal counting) actually lost the same amount of weight (if not more) as those who cal count and dont fast. lool its a lot to take in.

That being said, not sure i'd be able to fast and also only eat 1000 cals a day (as we discussed in the other thread) i'd need to consume more if I was going so long without food.

:)

littlemiss said:
Yes, exactly.

This is what I love so much about the whole fasting thing. Alot of people naturally fast without even realising it. Infact as mentioned in the programme, alot of people who fast and eat normally at other times (not cal counting) actually lost the same amount of weight (if not more) as those who cal count and dont fast. lool its a lot to take in.

That being said, not sure i'd be able to fast and also only eat 1000 cals a day (as we discussed in the other thread) i'd need to consume more if I was going so long without food.

:)

Yes, I find it quite a good method, though I arrived at it quite instinctively rather than by design - maybe that means it is a natural way to do things?? :) xx

Back