Fasting & SW!

Hi 10st10 - how's the fasting going? I look forward to your bulletins. Eid must be near now is it? Let us know how you're getting on, ZX

Why do you have to do all that? I'd be a crap Muslim cos I couldn't be arsed doing that every time I went to pray :p:D

Cleanliness is a HUGE thing! If you're on your period for example, you can't even touch the Quran. Infact, you can't touch it without having done wudu (the wash)... It becomes nature after a while, I was so tired yesterday after breaking my fast, I had literally just woken up, and I was doing it all with closed eyes and then I laughed at myself, in that delirious state and putting my feet in the sink! x

Hey guyz.

I've reading and following this thread every other day, just havn't had enough time to post everytime.
Today we are doing iftari at my sis-in-laws house so i have free time on hand, no cooking!

We are half way through fasting now but i think i'm finding it harder now. I'm missing water more than food. I'm having headaches now due to lack of fluid :(. I try to drink alot after breaking fast but it's not enough and still no water during the day doesn't help!

Anyway nice reading everyones posts.
Everyone is doing soooo well.
All support on here is brill :)

Thank you for starting this thread 10st10lb :)

Hey Subah! I feel I should call you Baji aswell :eek: Hope you had a lovely iftari at your sister-in-law's place, I have one at my aunty's place tonight and really hoping there is some SW friendly stuff there. I wouldn't feel comfortable picking an apple up out of her fruit basket like I do at others - feels like it may offend her that I'm not eating her cooking but that's just not the case!

Roze do seem to be getting easier, I was trying to work out in Taraweeh yesterday (so bad, I should have been concentrating on the talawat) how many are left because this year I don't think it's affected me much - thank god for that! Lack of water, yes, is one thing that is getting to me, but I am glad I don't have to keep rushing to the toilet every five minutes!

Not long left now! Hope you're keeping busy, not too busy to tire you out but no too un-busy to drive you insane :) xxx

Ali - thank you for such a brilliant thread, so educational and gives me a whole new admiration for muslims, good luck for the rest of ramadam, lots of love, donna x

Donna - thanks for reading! I wish I could get to prayer on time these days to share things with you guys that the Imam tells us but for one reason or another we keep getting late! Yesterday, I was ready to go 15 minutes before everyone else, but they all decided to faff around, watch TV, eat cookies, blah blah blah! I'll have to look up some other stories I can share with you, there was a really nice one I heard the ending of but I need to get the beginning right to have the full effect :) xxx

This is what I love about Minimins!! You get to learn about lots of different cultures and lifestyles and it really proves how different and unique we all are in our beliefs and preferences! From mushy pea fetishes (myself) to Donna's pickled onion penchant to whole religious festivals and rituals! Life is interesting that's for sure!x

Donna's pickled onions! I was so confused the first time I looked at her diary! :8855: Mushy peas for you hey? I can't stand peas :( Let alone mushy peas! xxx

it sounds like you are a charming and determined person to do this and i wish you the best! :)

since it seems that you are more worried about what you can eat when you are invited elsewhere, then i have a couple of suggestions.

1. i am going to assume you are friendly with those who invite you, so why not ask in advance if they would prepare a particuliar dish, or something. say that you have been doing well on your diet so far but would appreciate any support you can get during this time. and that if it's too much of a hassle perhaps you could come over and help? i find that being straightforward with people makes a lot of things easier and they are more willing to help me if i explain.

2. if 1 goes to pot, stuff yourself before the party or sneak some fruit/veg in your pockets and munch every now and then. :D

Taaaa v much chazzdiver :D Charming, determined, me?! ;)

Been alright so far going over to other people's houses, got one invite today and there is no way I could go there and help out beforehand - I think it would offend my aunty, which is sad because she knows I'm doing SW and she did it herself years ago. No one knows what she's going to cook so I tried to have a syn free meal to close my fast this morning, but the Chocolate Weetabix was infront of me so I gave in ;) Spent 2 syns there, 2.5 will go on the date that I will break my fast with, so I have 10.5 for the rest of the evening... I giggled at your number two suggestion, we can't actually stuff ourselves before the party because the party is at the time when we're allowed to eat! :p But nice thinking ;) I may load up my handbag with a pear, banana, maybe some melon in a tub to keep in the car on the way from my aunty's place to the mosque for prayer!

xxx

Chazzdiver- I'm going to steal your suggestions if that's ok :p

So Ali,

gym went well apart from the paranoia of thinking everyone was staring :rolleyes: i signed up for a 10k in Heaton Park in October so the determination on the treadmill came first!

We're over the halfway mark now,i'm so used to fasting and it's going to feel strange eating "so much" food lol

Hope you're well.
:D

Oh god yeah, that paranoia is so irritating, you know everyone else is only thinking the same thing about themselves! Hope you're feeling better about the gym now, will be cyber-cheering you on for the 10k!

I'm well thanks :) Just tired, will update you all on my weekend antics soon! How are you doing? xxx

i'm going to bank those ideas also, my family are great at ignoring the fact that i am not eating dessert, in fact they are fab cos they are all so supportive. But i have a few friends...thanks chazzdiver

Donna, do you reckon you would miss the food or the water more if you fasted? xxx

Hi 10st10 - how's the fasting going? I look forward to your bulletins. Eid must be near now is it? Let us know how you're getting on, ZX

Hi Zoe! Fasting is alright, tiring if anything. Eid will be around the second weekend in September, I guess time really does fly as September starts tomorrow! I will come back later on and post properly about what I've been up to recently, maybe someone can tell me off and then I won't do it again!

Ali xxx

Hey Ali,

i'm doing well thanks. First week on Atkins and I've lost 9lbs! It's going really well. I've decided that I'm not going to have a break at Eid though because my cousins will all be making rice dishes or something with naan or chappatis which are a complete no no.I'm going to tell them beforehand and I'll still go along but just won't eat.My problem is that I can't just have a bit, just one mithai, i have to have about ten!! So until I trust myself I'm going to stay away.

Funny thing is, I think my taste buds have changed since I stopped eating Indian food whilst on Atkins. I tried a bit of my favourite chicken masala dish today and the masala tasted really strange. There wasn't anything wrong with it but because I'm not used to it i couldn't finish more than one mouthful.

Gym has been going well too, went on Monday at 2pm and had a good workout. Trouble was I was so hungry and thirsty then until iftari time. Got a personal training session at 9am on Thursday, not sure whether to cancel it till evening because I don't fancy starving all day.

Can't believe Ramadhan will be over so soon, it feels like its gone so fast!

:)

Hey, Hope everyones well.

I'm not fasting now till sunday as i'm taking antibiotics for a tooth infection, have to complete the course. Will fast on Sunday & Monday, then not again on Tuesday as i have my tooth extracted.

Will fast after Ramadhan to make up for these missed fasts though.

Ali, you can call me baji :).
Oh and i'd like to tell you something (as i'm sooooo excited), Me, my hubby & me mum-in-law will be going to Hajj this year Inshallah!
Can't Wait, just need to see if we get the visa. If we do we will be going on the 6th of Nov. :)

Water - i always have a drink on the go, can't bear to be thirsty, have learnt thru SW that when i think i am hungry i am actually thirsty, how long now til eide?

Up till now it looks like Eid will be on the 9th of September but we won't know for sure till the night before x

Hey guys, hope you are all well! Just a week left of fasting now! I still manage to miss each speech :( through no fault of my own, may I add? :) There was an extra long one after prayers on Wednesday but the guy doing it got really fast and high pitched and emotional and was doing it in Punjabi - now I understand Punjabi and talk it like a clown, but this guy was on something, I'm sure of it! My aunty explained it all later though, turns out it wasn't anything that we didn't all already know... so I will find an online version and copy it out for you all :)

In the meantime, I was trying to find the one specific story that I really wanted to hear the beginning of, but I'm either searching the entirely wrong terms online or it's just not on here... will ask my aunty later tonight, she's an archive of stories! I came across this one though, while looking for the other one, and it made me smile... infact, there are a few little stories, as I'm flicking through this website, so will share a select few with you. I don't think any of them are specifically related to Islam in any way - however, they would probably even touch those with a heart of stone.

xxx

awe, that would be great hun. :D

A father came home from work late, tired and irritated, to find his 5 year old son waiting for him at the door.

Son: "Father, may I ask you a question?"
Father: "Yeah sure, what is it?"
Son: "Father, how much do you make an hour?"
Father, angrily: "That's none of your business. Why do you ask such a thing?"
Son: "I just want to know. Please tell me, how much do you make an hour?"
Father: "If you must know, I make $20 an hour."
Son: "Oh," looks down: "Father, may I please borrow $10?"
Father, furiously: "If the only reason you asked that is so you can borrow some money to buy a silly toy or some other nonsense, then you march yourself straight to your room and go to bed. Think about why you are being so selfish. I work hard everyday for such childish behavior."

The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the door. Father sat down and started to get even angrier about the little boy's questions. How dare he ask such questions only to get some money? After about an hour or so, the father had calmed down, and started to think... Maybe there was something he really needed to buy with that $10 and he really didn't ask for money very often? The father went to the door of the little boy's room and opened the door.

Father: "Are you asleep, son?"
Son: "No Father, I am awake."
Father: "I have been thinking, maybe I was too hard on you earlier. It's been a long day and I took out my aggravation on you. Here's the $10 you asked for."
Boy, smiling. "Oh, thank you Father!"

Then, reaching under his pillow he pulled out some crumpled up bills.
The father, seeing that the little boy already had money, started to get angry again. The little boy slowly counted out his money, and then looked up at his father.

Father: "Why do you want more money if you already have some?"
Son: "Because I didn't have enough, but now I do. Father, I have $20 now. Can I buy an hour of your time? Please come home early tomorrow. I would like to have dinner with you."

Moral of the Story: Share this story with someone you like... But even better, share $20 worth of time with someone you love. It's just a short reminder to all of you working so hard in life. We should not let time slip through our fingers without having spent some time with those who really matter to us, those close to our hearts.

If we die tomorrow, the company that we are working for could easily replace us in a matter of days. But the family and friends we leave behind will feel the loss for the rest of their lives. And come to think of it, we pour ourselves more into work than to our family. An unwise investment indeed!

So what is the moral of the story?
Don't work too hard...and you know what the full meaning of FAMILY is? FAMILY = (F)ATHER (A)ND (M)OTHER,(I)(L)OVE (Y)OU!

i remember hearing a story like that, only the mother gets involved and the child is asking her why daddy can't stay at home. the kid does little odd jobs around the house and still doesn't have enough for an hour, so he asks how long can he get for "£5.15" bless him.

i remember hearing a story like that, only the mother gets involved and the child is asking her why daddy can't stay at home. the kid does little odd jobs around the house and still doesn't have enough for an hour, so he asks how long can he get for "£5.15" bless him.

Hehe, that's a variation on it... I bet there's loads of different versions, getting tweaked here and there... Which reminds me...

That's one of the big things in Islam - the fact that the Quran has never been changed. Like with the Bible, there's new Old Testament and the New Testament... but the Quran, the words have always remained the same since they came down from the skies. Therefore, in the arguments of Muslim scholars, it's more credible than the teachings of the church. But ya know, whatever. There are lots of different schools of thought within Islam that have a lot of different opinions about the tiniest things, so at the end of the day...

Anyhoo :) My aunty is over today so I will try to ask her about the story that I have been wanting to share with you guys, but at the moment she is praying and I am damn hungry! Didn't wake up this morning, infact I haven't woken up for a lot of mornings which is really bad but I can't change it now. Had a bit of a headache pinging away at me from 12ish, thought it might get worse and then I'd have to break my fast but it seems to have disappeared while I was out having a nice long walk - which is good. Just a little while to go now, I think it opens at 7:56 today? So you can see that's already almost an hour earlier than the first fast! Today feels like the proper real first one, because my brother has gone back to school and the order of the day has gone back to 'normal'. So only a few left to go now! Let's see when Eid is, anybody already been told when? As my local mosque started a day later, I'm guessing ours will be on Saturday... xxx

Hey Ali,

There are so many similarities between Christianity and Islam, we even share a lot of the prophets. Of course where their are similarities there are also differences. But each to their own, I think a lot of people have learnt a lot about Islam from your postings so well done.

If any Miniminners are partaking in Lent I'd be really interested to hear about the different customs and beliefs- I know it's a while off yet!

Eid for us will be either Friday or Saturday. I've still not decided what to do about the eating thing yet. I hate people drawing attention to me and it'll be a big thing if i don't eat, and even if I do eat but just have a bit that will be a big thing as well. Can't win!

:)

Just read through this thread as I'm planning on making up my missed fasts next week. JazakAllah Khair for sharing the knowledge that you did and it was interesting to read your mini diary. :)

I was looking for such a thread and lovely Ali had created one last year.

Well fasting begins again at the end of this month hopefully.

I was wondering how SW would affect my weight loss, if any during the fasting month but as long as I dont gain im not fussed.

Its an amazing month and a great time to concentrate on yourself. Many people who dont understand the concept of fasting will think that it is dangerous for yourself, but it really isn't. It is a time to reflect spiritually and actually think about the bigger picture. Millions of people on this planet dont know where their next meal comes from- we do at the end of the fast at sun set.

Yes you feel tired, lathargic, hungry, grumpy but we're human- its bound to happen. Its how you use these emotions and understand them and use the knowledge of these feelings in the month after Ramadhan that is key.

Its going to be long this year- Buts its only for 1 month and we do get to eat at the end of the day.

Lets revive this thread again!

How many people are fasting this year?

Rozie.

Hi I'm Nadia and new to the forum and new to s/w only 2 mths lost 18.5 lb so far long way to go but I found this old thread as I'm Muslim and will be fasting this year also but as in new to s w dreading it a bit, wondering how you fellow slimmers got on during previous ramadans

Hi nadia. No one replied to my question last year but fasting didn't make me lose weight! I still ate good but I maintained mostly...

Well done on your loss so far, that's fantastic!

Back