Fasting & SW!

Hi,

I'll be reading through all this tonight. I'm fasting too and am about to attend my first SW meeting tonight so I'll be stealing all your tips to use! ;)

Hi,

I'll be reading through all this tonight. I'm fasting too and am about to attend my first SW meeting tonight so I'll be stealing all your tips to use! ;)

Best of luck for the meeting! Whereabouts are you in the North West, if you don't mind me asking? x

I'm in Bolton. I put up another thread about being worried it's going to be full of women, but the responses made me think it doesn't matter and I'm going to give it a good go.

:)

I'm in Bolton. I put up another thread about being worried it's going to be full of women, but the responses made me think it doesn't matter and I'm going to give it a good go.

Ahh yeah I saw your thread! I wish we had men in our group, I live in Manchester btw... It's just me and lots of older ladies! I say 'older' not to cause offence, but they are! I feel a bit left out sometimes :( I'll have a peep on your thread later to check out how it was! Hope your roze are going well, and just one tip - keep a food diary, it really helps! xxx

Hi 10st10lbs,

I couldn't go in the end...I ended up having to babysit at the last minute and I had no option. A bit of a shame really.

It might be a good thing really, because I start back at uni in a few weeks (Manchester) and I don't know my timetable yet so i might not have been able to go the same group.

Once I know i'll be able to work out whether it'll be easier to go to a meeting in Manchester or the one in Bolton.

Fasting is going surprisingly ok. I've not been feeling hungry but the healthy eating has definately taken a knock! Everyone tucking into the fried food, the first few i was really good but the last couple I've just pigged out.

I'm weighing myself tomorrow so I'll know the damage then. I'm going to restart low carbing again tomorrow to hopefully kickstart me again.

I've also been looking at the Cambridge Diet but to be honest I don't think I've got the will power. And with Eid coming up I don't think I could live off shakes...maybe if i'm really struggling I'll get back on it.

I'm doing a 10k run in October too so I really need to get fit once Ramadhan is over...i promised myself i would go for a walk after tarawih prayers but i'm just too tired by then :)

Hope your Ramadhan is going well too.

P.S I can't help but laugh at how the adverts on these pages change depending on what you type.

The one I've got now is one for Muslima.com - the International Muslim Matrimonial Site...LOL

Hi 10st10lbs,

I couldn't go in the end...I ended up having to babysit at the last minute and I had no option. A bit of a shame really.

It might be a good thing really, because I start back at uni in a few weeks (Manchester) and I don't know my timetable yet so i might not have been able to go the same group.

Once I know i'll be able to work out whether it'll be easier to go to a meeting in Manchester or the one in Bolton.

Fasting is going surprisingly ok. I've not been feeling hungry but the healthy eating has definately taken a knock! Everyone tucking into the fried food, the first few i was really good but the last couple I've just pigged out.

I'm weighing myself tomorrow so I'll know the damage then. I'm going to restart low carbing again tomorrow to hopefully kickstart me again.

I've also been looking at the Cambridge Diet but to be honest I don't think I've got the will power. And with Eid coming up I don't think I could live off shakes...maybe if i'm really struggling I'll get back on it.

I'm doing a 10k run in October too so I really need to get fit once Ramadhan is over...i promised myself i would go for a walk after tarawih prayers but i'm just too tired by then :)

Hope your Ramadhan is going well too.

Call me Ali :) Babysitting sucks, especially the last minute sessions! InshaAllah when you get back to uni, you can slot SW into your timetable... there's a group near central library that is on one evening I think, I've never been to it but I might have to start going there if my Thursday mornings aren't free anymore. Do you go to UoM or MMU, if you don't mind me asking? I'm at MMU, going into second year now.

Alhamdullilah, it's nice to hear Ramadan is going well for you! I know it's hard to resist the junk, especially as it's just there and you think oh well, I haven't eaten anything all day! But willpower is what this month is trying to teach us, so we should try and make the most of it :) After all, if we set ourselves good habits in the next three weeks, they will hopefully stay with us for the rest of our lives.

Eid - fried food left right and centre, and you on shakes?! I don't think so :p I don't know what I'm going to do when Eid comes around to tell you the truth, it's gonna be Friday or Saturday or Sunday by the looks of it, and my WIs are on Thursday so I guess I could have one day off and then get back on track the next morning.. Although there is always a mountain of leftovers at our house, and then I think that, combined with being allowed to eat during daylight hours again, might just lead to a whole week off plan! Tauba, Allah na kare! :rolleyes: Let's just hope for the best!

I would LOVE to be able to go for a walk after tarawih, there's just something so peaceful about that time, even in the middle of Manchester! But it's too dangerous where I live, so I have to make do with the walk up the stairs to my bedroom :( InshaAllah you will have the strength to get yourself up and running (literally) by October! Best of luck for the run, are you doing it for anything in particular or just for yourself?

xxx

Hi Ali,

I'm going into my second year at UoM.

I've decided to stick to low carb/atkins now and see how it goes. I think that whenever i have a bad week i just end up going on to another plan which i don't want to keep doing. And tbh, i don't trust myself to eat in moderation on SW at the moment.

I've joined the gym and will be going tonight after iftari. I'm going to have a quick snack, not too much then off to the gym.

I'm worried that Eid will mess me up. I've not decided what I'm going to do, especially at other peoples houses as Atkins doesn't really allow rice, naan, chapattis etc :)

Just thought, i'm sorry for completely hijacking your thread lol!

Hi Ali,

Thanks for the updates, I've missed reading them whilst I've been away. Glad it's all still going well for you and 0.5lb loss is better than staying the same or gaining so try not to worry about it too much. I think you are doing amazingly well all things considered and I'm looking forward to your next update! :)

Hi Ali,

I'm going into my second year at UoM.

I've decided to stick to low carb/atkins now and see how it goes. I think that whenever i have a bad week i just end up going on to another plan which i don't want to keep doing. And tbh, i don't trust myself to eat in moderation on SW at the moment.

I've joined the gym and will be going tonight after iftari. I'm going to have a quick snack, not too much then off to the gym.

I'm worried that Eid will mess me up. I've not decided what I'm going to do, especially at other peoples houses as Atkins doesn't really allow rice, naan, chapattis etc :)

Just thought, i'm sorry for completely hijacking your thread lol!

Best of luck for the gym session tonight - bet you're already there, sweating away!

Good luck on Atkins - I would never have the patience to try something like that. SW is my first real attempt at a [STRIKE]diet[/STRIKE] new lifestyle :) I never want to look back! If you have found something that you feel comfortable with, give it everything you've got and we'll all be here to support you :)

God yeah, I had a birthday party on Sunday and was dreading the pile of naans, managed to stick to the chana chaat and just had a piece of roast chicken, was so glad nobody picked up on it! Came home after taraweeh and went straight to the fridge for some free stuff! :p

It's not my thread! It's for all of us to share our thoughts and experiences on about fasting :p So don't be afraid to garble away on here, I'm sure loads of people will enjoy reading about how you're coping with Ramadan on Atkins :)

xxx

Hi Ali,

Thanks for the updates, I've missed reading them whilst I've been away. Glad it's all still going well for you and 0.5lb loss is better than staying the same or gaining so try not to worry about it too much. I think you are doing amazingly well all things considered and I'm looking forward to your next update! :)

Hey hun! Glad you're back, missed you lots! Hope you had a lovely time :) Will try to get to the mosque with time to spare today, so I can sit and listen to the speech and share my new-found knowledge when I get back.

xxx

Yeah, had an amazing time thanks. Now get to Mosque!!! :D

Yeah, had an amazing time thanks. Now get to Mosque!!! :D

LOL - last night we got late again cause my aunty needed to pee and so we had to wait another 5 mins! There's a certain routine you have to do before you pray, pic uploaded below, and it 'breaks' if you go to the toilet... or fart :p so you have to do it all over again...

WuduMiddleB&W.jpg

Why do you have to do all that? I'd be a crap Muslim cos I couldn't be arsed doing that every time I went to pray :p:D

Hey guyz.

I've reading and following this thread every other day, just havn't had enough time to post everytime.
Today we are doing iftari at my sis-in-laws house so i have free time on hand, no cooking!

We are half way through fasting now but i think i'm finding it harder now. I'm missing water more than food. I'm having headaches now due to lack of fluid :(. I try to drink alot after breaking fast but it's not enough and still no water during the day doesn't help!

Anyway nice reading everyones posts.
Everyone is doing soooo well.
All support on here is brill :)

Thank you for starting this thread 10st10lb :)

This is what I love about Minimins!! You get to learn about lots of different cultures and lifestyles and it really proves how different and unique we all are in our beliefs and preferences! From mushy pea fetishes (myself) to Donna's pickled onion penchant to whole religious festivals and rituals! Life is interesting that's for sure!x

it sounds like you are a charming and determined person to do this and i wish you the best! :)

since it seems that you are more worried about what you can eat when you are invited elsewhere, then i have a couple of suggestions.

1. i am going to assume you are friendly with those who invite you, so why not ask in advance if they would prepare a particuliar dish, or something. say that you have been doing well on your diet so far but would appreciate any support you can get during this time. and that if it's too much of a hassle perhaps you could come over and help? i find that being straightforward with people makes a lot of things easier and they are more willing to help me if i explain.

2. if 1 goes to pot, stuff yourself before the party or sneak some fruit/veg in your pockets and munch every now and then. :D

Chazzdiver- I'm going to steal your suggestions if that's ok :p

So Ali,

gym went well apart from the paranoia of thinking everyone was staring :rolleyes: i signed up for a 10k in Heaton Park in October so the determination on the treadmill came first!

We're over the halfway mark now,i'm so used to fasting and it's going to feel strange eating "so much" food lol

Hope you're well.
:D

Back