fat counting

gonabslim79

Hi Guys, i have been on a blip since the new year.
i lost 3 stone last year on RC up to aug then maintanined till nov when i went on holiday, with hol and xmas i gained about 12 pounds. i need another 7 pounds to get back down to my 3 stone again and then another 3 stone to get to target.
i struggled to get back to rc and tried SW and failed.

i did enjoy counting with RC which is why i was successfulbut now i feel like the 5% fat rule is digging at me. do you guys count only calories or fat as well.

what i am trying to say is can you just count calories and still lose weight. and how do you know how many calories you are aloud to eat?

thanks

When I first started diet (about 35 years ago:eek:) I just counted calories.

At the end of the day, all systems basically work this way, because calories are energy, and energy out vs energy in is how we gain/lose weight. Most traditional diets use the volumetrics system to help get more satiety value out of the calories....well...except Barry Groves system who I think advocates 80% fat or something!

When I wanted to really crack the healthy eating thing for maintenance, I went to WLR for a while. Counted calories along with getting the balance right. Think it's about 30% fat (preferably most from healthy fats), 55% carbs, 15% protein (I think). That suited me well.

Over time I have tweaked it a little to have more protein and less carbs to keep me satisfied, but probably do about 30% fat overall. Not obsessive about it though as I don't count anything any more...just have a rough idea of what I need to eat.

Hi!

Im sorry to invade the post, but do you need to be eating the 30g fat a day to be effective? I think Im eating much less than this...

Thanks
Rayanne

Hi Rayanne, it's 30% of total calories from fat, rather that 30g of fat.

Im sorry to invade the post, but do you need to be eating the 30g fat a day to be effective?

It's depends on what you mean by effective. Effective for what? If it's weightloss alone you are are referring to, then it wont matter how many calories you have in fat as long as your calorie consumption is lower than your maintenance calories.

From a general health point of view, 30% of fats, and mainly healthy ones, is a good target to aim for :)

as a general rule, RC says you should eat anything that has a fat content of 5% or less it 5 g of fat per 100g

as a general rule, RC says you should eat anything that has a fat content of 5% or less it 5 g of fat per 100g

RC is very low fat though...very. Not necessarily good for life long choices IMO, but work with losing weight.

Back