Fat families is horrible!

CityGirl

Has anyone seen fat families, the Host is so insensitive. Do not get me wrong I am not saying a diet of heart clogging fat but he just promotes rude behavior you hear about (catcalling, teasing and abusive comments on others lifestyle and appearance). Just the repeated phrases of "these tinkles, fatties" annoying me to no end.

Is this the guy?

Not wishing to be rude but he isn't exactly slim is he?

I hate that school of thought where some people just think that really overweight people just need to be shocked out of it by crass and rude remarks. It's just an excuse to be mean.:sigh:

Last edited:
That is the guy but it's not a good pic of him. He's slim and knows what he's on about cos he used to be fat. I love Fat Families! There's been 3 series now I think so the families know what they're letting themselves in for - they wouldn't go on the programme unless they wanted his particular kind of help.

I love this programme also :D I think it's hilarious - and no, I'm not insensitive, I'm overweight myself! People who take part it know what the score is, if they don't want to be on it, then they shouldn't have applied IMHO. Most contestants (is that the right word?) are truly grateful for his help - it's the ones who don't listen to his advice who don't achieve anything.

My family are always saying to me "come on Mum, melt that lard" as they see me on the Wii Fit or something -I don't take offence, I find it motivational :)

We all like different things and find different things funny/offensive etc. The world would be a pretty boring place if we were all the same.

This is just my opinion tho, it's a programme where you either love it (and I know several people on here *do* love it), or you don't.

I love Fat Families too, I think Steve Miller is brilliant, lets be honest with ourselves here, most of us who are overweight know we overweight, we know the health implications! He is merely pointing them out without sugar coating it, I find him great and refreshing, he himself was overweight so he knows what its like, he just tries to motivate people thats all, sometimes the truth hurts, but why sugar coat the pill, honesty is the best policy I think!

I would love to go on FF but no-one else is fat, except the hamster maybe?:rolleyes:

I quite enjoy this programme but he is very intense, the only thing i don't like is when he says these fatties, no need for that i think :flirt2:

DROP DOWN GORGEOUS

:rolleyes:watched fat families for the first time sun 17th july, the episode wit the four ladies from london i think,... Jas,Ladonna,Sharlene,and Tracy , hard enough to admit to ur self ur over weight, but to take it in front of millions of viewers and even then manage to suceed to ur goals "wow" amazing , i dont suffer wit bad weight probs thank god, just seen what they achived in such a short time , i just had to send them my highist admiration, cant see why the guys wont be quein to ask them out now :) ide be first on the phone if i lived in any part of England. please excuse my spelling on some words.

Never seen it - what channel is it on? And when please

i love Fat Families - think its on Sky1....

Steve used to be overweight himself, so i think thats why he feels he can say the things he does. He has been in the same position as the people he is motivating to lose the LARD!

I would love him to come and have a pop at me! hehe! i would show him that us fatties can lose it!

I always wonder why some people who go on the show dont lose weight though - totally flummoxes me, especially when they get free gym and all that jazz.

Bizarre!

I love it, i think sometimes some people need to have harsh words said to them to achieve something and most of them do. Some of losses are amazing and they look so much more better more healthy. He also gives advice which is good for not only the family but also normal viewers like us. I also find it so shocking i can't believe how much some of the families were eating and almost everything which was unhealthy.

I do enjoy watching the programme, but he is a bit rude. You can be straight talking without being offensive. I like that many people have been helped but I think the rudeness is appealing to the baser instincts of his audience rather than being a good motivational tool.

I do enjoy watching the programme, but he is a bit rude. You can be straight talking without being offensive. I like that many people have been helped but I think the rudeness is appealing to the baser instincts of his audience rather than being a good motivational tool.

In what way do you find him rude?

He's rude in lots of ways. His language, 'lardies', his tone which is patronising, the way he talks to the camera about them as if they weren't there. The facial expressions when he is indicating disbelief. I guess these peope are adults and possibly know what they are getting into, but excess weight often is combined with complex psychological problems, and certainly low self-esteem. Some of his tactics seem a bit too close to bullying for my liking - and by the time the families have signed up for the programme I'm not sure they are in much of a of a position to fight back.

He's rude in lots of ways. His language, 'lardies', his tone which is patronising, the way he talks to the camera about them as if they weren't there. The facial expressions when he is indicating disbelief. I guess these peope are adults and possibly know what they are getting into, but excess weight often is combined with complex psychological problems, and certainly low self-esteem. Some of his tactics seem a bit too close to bullying for my liking - and by the time the families have signed up for the programme I'm not sure they are in much of a of a position to fight back.

The thing is though, if all else has failed then maybe the tough love approach is what is needed;) I get what you are saying a little, however I do believe that with some people they are so much in denial (hands up) this is what they actually need! At the end of the day, being overweight is not only about "how we look" its about putting our health at risk and people need to be told this, I wish someone like my GP or my hubbie would have said something to me a long time ago, as much as it would have hurt me, I would have pulled my head out the sand and done something about it. My hubbie is lovely and although he has probably been fed up with my weight he has in the past just said I love you no matter how fat/thin you are, in some ways that gave me a ticket to carry on, now he is more honest and says I worry about your weight because I worry about your health, which is giving me a reason to proper lose it this time and keep it off! The truth hurts, but sometimes it just needs saying:)

I think the families involved probably know what they are letting themselves in for - so I dont think its "exploitative" in the sense that they are leaving themselves open to damage, but I do think that its exploitative in the name of entertainment. It wouldnt attract any attention (for "attention", read "ratings") at all if it was just some nice people kindly advising some overweight people delicately that it might be healthier for them to not be quite so heavy as they are, it just wouldnt make good telly.
Because this chap is blunt, it amuses the sort of people who wouldnt be brave enough to make that sort of comment themselves even if they might think it without fifteen pints down them, and the people who think its ok to shout abuse at random people they pass in the street as long as they are in a car that can get away from the "victim" fast, as it gets them brownie points with their mates...

Its much akin to the audition stage of the Xfactor, which wouldnt have been half as successful if it had just been about watching good/better than average people auditioning for a singing competition, they had to have the contrast of the "failed" auditionees to increase the interest because people like to see other people fail, it makes them feel better about themselves. It might not be a very pleasant trait, (and indeed the reason I refuse to watch the audition stages) but it appeals to people on that level.

Wheras with this programme they provide the contrast of the "fatties" who are instructed by what effectively is the grown up version of their childhood bully in a kindly way, and then the "payback" of them being successful in their losses, thus beating the "bully" and proving that if they can do it, so can we. It plays into our brains on various levels, which is why it makes it watchable.

I think he's great and even though what he says can sometimes be a bit harsh I think there is too much pussyfooting around about being overweight!
I think he's direct and straight to the point! I'm not curvacious or plumptious, or cuddly, I'm fat, a lard arse, obese. There's no sugar coating it, whatever the reasons that made me overeat I'm not pleasant to look at all rolls of wobbly lard!
My trainer at the gym said "I can tell you've lost weight, your stomach doesn't hang down as much!" Harsh? Cruel? No just truthful, I did do a blink, shock look at him but he's right it doesn't! Can very nearly see me bits again (been a very long time!)
As has been said before why they don't keep to it when he is actually very motivating and provides all the necessary bits and bobs AND they're on telly in front of everyone I don't know.
I'm of the opinion that only a person who knows what it's like to be overweight and then lost that weight has the right to tell me the truth! A size 2 has no rights at all to tell me how to eat healthily lol.
I also like Loraine Kelly doing her fat programme but that family she's working with, I want to strangle the lot of them particularly the mother!
If I was on telly I'm sure the very fact I was doing it in front of millions of people would ake me too ashamed to fail.
When I get to goal I want to be Gokked lol

Back