Fat To Fab in 2014

Heatherenzed

Hi everyone,

This is 'Day 1' of my last ever diet (although I really don't think of the SW plan as being like a diet!). I have tried just about every diet going, and have chopped and changed between WW and SW, but have never followed either of them 100%. I am finally in a very positive frame of mind and I want to lose weight more than I want to eat a jumbo pack of Maltesers.:D I'm doing SW on my own, but I really don't feel like I'm on my own with all the lovely and supportive people on here.

I enjoy cooking, so I will be trying out lots of the recipes, especially Kay003's fabulous Indian recipes. I'm not all that keen on meat, so I will primarily be following the Green eating plan.

Today's food has been:

Skimmed milk for tea and coffee (Hex A)

Breakfast: Ran out of time

Early Lunch: Massive bowl of pasta, sweetcorn and fat free plain yogurt; I needed a carb boost today!:)

Snack: Fresh strawberries - delish.

I will probably have some more fruit later - I generally don't eat much at dinner time (I prefer to eat my main meal at lunch time!). Before starting the plan I would usually enjoy a glass (or two....or three) of vino, but I was almost certainly drinking way too much. I am not going to cut out the wine completely because I want to make this way of eating a plan for life, but I will not have a drink every night like I used to. My Mother In Law lost a stone and a half last year simply by cutting out alcohol, so I know it will do me good in more ways than one!:eek:

I've been a bit inactive today, but to be honest that is not unusual because I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (diagnosed about 2 years ago). I plan to use my Fithoop for at least a few minutes a day to help trim the tummy and get my energy levels up. It's the first and only exercise I've ever found to be fun and - dare I say it - enjoyable!!

Hope everyone's having a great day today.

H xx

Day two, and despite feeling fantastic yesterday I feel down in the dumps today. Why? Because I made the stupid stupid mistake of stepping on the scales first thing this morning and finding that I'm two pounds heavier than I was yesterday.:eek: I'm a 'serial weigher' and I'm my own worst enemy for doing it. My 'happiness factor' for the day is dictated by what the scales say - and I know how idiotic that is, but it's just the way I am.

My head tells me that eating the volume of food I had yesterday is bound to physically add weight, and that I need to keep going regardless and allow the plan to work its magic over the coming week. But the nagging voice in the back of my head is saying "what if you end up gaining two pounds a day eating like this? How's that going to make you feel in a week's time?".

I'm going to stick to the plan and not weigh in again until Monday. It's going to be hard and I'll probably worry myself to death wondering if I'm piling on the pounds, but I owe it to myself to at least give it a go.

H xx

Hi. Just subscribing. Don't worry about weight fluctuations as these can vary. I can go up about 4 pounds in a day! The key is to have one day set aside that you weigh in at. I have been doing this for years and so I wanted to see what my weight pattern looked like if I weigh every day and I do see lots of variation and no set pattern but I do only have one day which I hold as my Official weigh day and that is what I go by. Also make sure you are having all your HEXs when you are doing green or red - that is 2x HEBs and 1-2 HEAs. Hope you get some inspiration on here. x

Hazel,

Thank you so much for those words - exactly what I needed to hear! Isn't it amazing how some positive words can change your outlook in the blink of an eye :)

I will definitely need to start including the HEBs - I have no problem using my HEAs because I like milk in my tea and coffee during the day.

I'll head on over to your food diary to subscribe.;)

H xx

A strange day food-wise for me; I've stuck to plan completely, but I have only eaten one meal (lunch). I followed the 5:2 diet briefly and when I was doing that I found that the less often I ate, the less hungry I got. Not sure really how good/healthy that formula is. Consequently I had one large meal (same as yesterday) at lunch time today, then a nectarine late afternoon. I've used my HEAs for skim milk, but haven't had my HEBs. I very rarely eat tea/dinner, so I'm basically a one-meal-a-day person. I'm thinking I'll probably have to change that pattern of eating because it could be stuffing up my metabolism (hence the excess weight) but it's hard to break the pattern having been like this for years.

On the other hand I'm hoping that by sticking to the foods on the plan it will work for me, regardless of how frequently/infrequently I eat. The truth will come out when I weigh in after my first full week on Monday. :hmm:

On the whole I'm feeling very positive and upbeat today, (despite my sneaky look on the scales this morning) thanks to Hazel's encouragement!!

H xx

Syns used for the week so far = 18 out of 105

Last edited:
Day 3

I've eaten the same as I did the first two days - I'm definitely having a carb addiction phase.

Woke up with horrible itching on the back of my neck; my 12-year-old daughter (currently home sick) announced that nits are going around the school at the moment, so I spent the next half hour combing my hair with a nit comb and horror of horrors I found one of the lice! The rest of the morning was spent checking through my daughter's hair, then my hubby's.....and I'll have to check the 7-year-old's hair when she gets home from school. Am now sitting here with hair covered in conditioner with a drop of tea tree oil added (I've heard that the nits/lice can't stand the smell of tea tree oil!).

:grumble: Grrrrr - I never had nits as a child, but have had them several times since having the children!

H xx

Syns used for the week so far: 36 out of 105

Last edited:
Hi H, just dropping in to sub :)

Sorry to hear about your new friends! Poor thing, I hope you're able to evict them very soon!

I'm similar to you with regards to healthy extras, except I don't use my HEXA. I don't drink tea or coffee so don't use milk for that, and on the rare occasion I do eat cheese it doesn't agree with me and I gain weight, whether I am within my allowance or not! :mad: I'm usually okay with light cheeses, it's the fatty ones I struggle with.

I used to constantly skip breakfast before SW so I've forced myself to eat in the morning. I try to eat 2 Alpen light bars, but sometimes find I only end up eating 1 :rolleyes: It is very difficult to break a habit like that, I'm still trying after a year of SW, so it will take time but you'll get there :)

Pop over to my diary when you get a minute, a new face would be lovely :)

Danielle xxx

Hey H :wavey:, hope your having a fab day hun. Popped by to sub :D !

Kay xx

Yay, Hi Kay, welcome to my place - great to see you here.:D

Woke early this morning, but feeling full of the joys of spring.....although it's autumn, he he. Hope you've had a great day too hun.

H xx

Hi H, just dropping in to sub :)

Sorry to hear about your new friends! Poor thing, I hope you're able to evict them very soon!

I'm similar to you with regards to healthy extras, except I don't use my HEXA. I don't drink tea or coffee so don't use milk for that, and on the rare occasion I do eat cheese it doesn't agree with me and I gain weight, whether I am within my allowance or not! :mad: I'm usually okay with light cheeses, it's the fatty ones I struggle with.

I used to constantly skip breakfast before SW so I've forced myself to eat in the morning. I try to eat 2 Alpen light bars, but sometimes find I only end up eating 1 :rolleyes: It is very difficult to break a habit like that, I'm still trying after a year of SW, so it will take time but you'll get there :)

Pop over to my diary when you get a minute, a new face would be lovely :)

Danielle xxx

Hi Danielle and welcome to my place :welcome2: :)

It gives me the 'warm fuzzies' when I see new minimins friends on here, and spurs me on all the more to stick to the plan.

Good job my other new 'friends' can't be spread over the internet. After treating the whole family yesterday I am reasonably confident that the little horrors have been well and truly dealt with, but I still have an itchy head and neck. I did a search on Google and apparently it's not unusual for the itchiness to stay for several weeks due to ".... an allergic reaction to the lice excrement, or a reaction to the bites". :mad: [Hope that's not TMI? Are you itching yet? ;)].

I'll definitely be subscribing to your diary.

H xx

Oh dear. That's horrid. Poor you. Hope the little beasties def have gone now.

Well I just wanted to say that you are right about the whole metabolism thing. I did a month's fast before I started back on SW and it totally slowed down my weight loss so I have really had to just do it for the last few weeks without a massive loss but it is coming off albeit slowly. I would rec you just keep following the plan and have everything you are entitled to. Don't skip it. Your body will get used to it. It might just take a wee bit of time but stick with it. xx

Hazel, you've got a knack of saying the right things at the right time for me! Despite my resolve not to jump on the scales every day, I have to confess that I did check my weight again this morning - and I'm still 2lbs heavier than when I started on Monday. I started wavering and thinking maybe this isn't the right plan for me....started looking into the Primal/Paleo thing, but to be honest I am really not a big meat eater, and when I've tried very low carb before it's always left me feeling dreadful. At least I'm feeling really happy and positive on the SW plan, and I am going to keep going with it even if it's going to be a very slow process for me. After all, which other eating plan could we follow which allows us to eat all this yummy food and still lose weight?!! When I get over this metabolism hiccup I think I'll be fine.

H xx

Day 4

Change of food for me today - shock, horror!! Still no breakfast eaten, but at lunch time I had something completely different. My hubby picked a load of tomatoes out of the garden, so I used them to make a fresh tomato sauce which can be used as a base for things like spag bol, chilli con carne etc. I had some tinned lentils in the pantry so I took a portion of the tomato sauce and added it to the lentils and it was quite tasty! I've got a real craving right now for SW chips, but I haven't got any decent sized spuds at the moment (only new potatoes). I'm going to go shopping tomorrow and I'll stock up on some basics to make my meals more varied.

It's been a cooler day today (much more bearable than the 35 degrees we had a week or so ago :cool:) and I decided to try on my jeans which I haven't worn since October/November last year (when it started getting warm enough for shorts). I was expecting a struggle - you know how it is when you've been slopping around in shorts and t-shirts for ages and you have to go back to tighter fitting clothes? Well, they went on quite easily and have been comfortable enough to wear all day without having to undo the top button!! :happy036:

I found an old notebook today which I'd used a year or so ago to keep track of my weight, and I was kind of pleased to see that I'm no heavier now than I was a year ago, which is surprising seeing as I quit smoking about 8 months ago. I must have more willpower than I thought; if I can quit the smokes without turning to food, then I really should be able to sort my weight out too.:)

Syn total for the week so far = 53 out of 105

H xx

Hi Danielle and welcome to my place :welcome2: :)

It gives me the 'warm fuzzies' when I see new minimins friends on here, and spurs me on all the more to stick to the plan.

Good job my other new 'friends' can't be spread over the internet. After treating the whole family yesterday I am reasonably confident that the little horrors have been well and truly dealt with, but I still have an itchy head and neck. I did a search on Google and apparently it's not unusual for the itchiness to stay for several weeks due to ".... an allergic reaction to the lice excrement, or a reaction to the bites". :mad: [Hope that's not TMI? Are you itching yet? ;)].

I'll definitely be subscribing to your diary.

H xx

Haha yep any talk of lice always makes me itch :8855: glad you're all sorted now :)

Just about to pop over to my diary and reply to your message on there... See you soon! xxx

Good for you for sticking with it . It does take time - no doubt but all the plans work - that includes red/ green and EE. When I first did the plan it was always 70 syns for women and 105 for men so if you still aren't losing try cutting down to 70 a week. I find I can't go over that but everyone's different I guess.

Hi Heather - Im here to "pester" oops lol I mean subscribe.

Im a serial weigher too - every morning when I get up, and every night before bed, if I get up during the night I sometimes hop on too lol its a habit thats hard to break unfortunately

Good Luck on your SW journey were all here to support you hun x

Hello :) subbing.
Could you halve your lunch & eat the rest with the family in the evening? In the mornings most days I have fruit, could you have a couple of clementines or a banana. Give your metabolism a kick? :)

Hey H, your doing really well on the plan hun :). I hope you have another fab day tomorrow ! How is your lovely crochet coming along ? The weather must be lovely there right now :p .

Kay xx

Back