Fat to fit diary

womble35

After years of struggling with my weight, I started 2016 at my heaviest ever - 118kg. I had a difficult 2015, having developed allergic reaction symptoms (hives, joint swelling, even face /lip / tongue swelling) and was in a bit of a bad place.

But I have a young son, and the last thing I wanted was for him to grow up with a mother who was too unhealthy to do stuff with him (or worst case, without a mother at all) so something clicked in me at the start of 2016 and I decided to do something about it.

In February, I started a VLCD (i.e. meal replacement giving just 600 calories a day). I'll be honest, I haven't stuck to it religiously, but I have managed to lose 20kg since the start of the year which I am incredibly proud of. I also have an underactive thyroid, which does make weight loss very difficult, as my metabolism is pretty sluggish.

At the same time, I have started getting fit again. Initially I joined a gym and did the C25K running app, and as my confidence has improved, I've started using the gym a lot and have got myself a personal trainer who I work out with at least twice a week. I used to love exercise when I was younger, and apparently I am in better shape than I thought I was. I have a very high muscle percentage in my body, which allows me to work out harder than my overall physique suggests.

Anyway, having really struggled with the VLCD for the past few months, and having hit a plateau in my weight loss journey, I've decided that I want a change. I'm no longer going to do the VLCD (I think it is damaging my metabolism, contributing to the stall in weight loss) and instead eat sensible portions of healthy food (occasionally substituting a meal for a protein shake after a hard work out, under the guidance of my PT). Basically, I want to approach eating in the same way that I have embraced exercise: it's not a diet, it's a change in lifestyle.

So, basically, I'm at 98kg right now. If I can get to 85kg by the end of the year I will be happy.

My current basic workout schedule is:
Mon: Yoga (am), 3km run (pm)
Tues: Spin class (lunchtime)
Weds: 1hr PT session (am)
Thurs: 3km run (am), zumba class (pm)
Fri: Body pump class (am), PT session (lunchtime)
Sat: rest day
Sun: Spin class (pm)

My calorie goal for each day is 1,200, focusing on lean protein, vegetables, berries, low GI carbs (e.g. quinoa and oats). I am trying to exclude sugar, alcohol, gluten, potatoes (basically, foods I know my body doesn't react well to).

I found keeping a diary on here really useful when doing the VLCD as I was brutally honest whenever I cheated and therefore fully accountable for my actions! It was also great to get support from others following the same journey, and offer support when others needed it. It seemed a bit strange to carry on my diary from before, as it's perhaps irrelevant for that forum, so I've started a new one!

Here goes...

Back