Favourite curry

I love the SW dopiaza- I think they suggest chicken but I always make it with lamb and allow some syns for the fat!
I think the recipe for the sauce is:
a couple of large onions
a couple of cloves of garlic
2 tbsp medium curry powder,
1 tbsp garam masala,
2 tsp ground cinnamon,
2 tsp gound cumin,
Salt & Pepper/Chillies to taste
1 x beef oxo cube
Some chopped tomatoes- recipe states one can but depends how thick you like it!
Then whatever meat or veg you choose (green peppers work surprisingly well)

My OH calls it 'Afghan curry' because it tastes like the curries he had over there- it's the cinnamon that gives it a really distinct, rich flavour.
I generally have those spices in for making curry/chilli/marinades for chicken too so it's dead easy to throw in the slow cooker!

Thanks for the reply!

Thought everyone had gone off currys there. Nobody had posted anything!

Sounds lovely will give that one a try - think I have all the ingredients too!

Wow. Didn't even realise it was shut down! Such a brilliant site. I get so many ideas / inspirational stories on here to keep me going. What a shame it closed and well done to you.

Hope you like it!
I think Mins is just a little quiet since it shut down- I'm trying to get involved as much as I can to help build it back up again
And I do love curry lol!
Have you tried the sw chicken tikka masala? It's divine- totally not like 'diet food' at all!
There are two tikka masala type recipes on sw website.

Is it the curry one I follow or the sauce one?

I think it's:-

• Juice of 1 lime
  • 150g fat free natural yogurt
  • 5 tbsp tikka curry powder
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • Low calorie cooking spray
  • 1 onion, grated
  • 4 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 2cm piece of root ginger, peeled and grated
  • 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 6 tbsp tomato purée
  • 5 tbsp fat free natural fromage frais
  • Small handful of roughly chopped fresh coriander, to garnish
method
  1. In a large dish, mix together the lime juice, yogurt and 3 tablespoons of the tikka curry powder. Season well, then add the chicken and toss to coat well. Marinate in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight if time permits.
  2. When you’re ready to cook, preheat the grill to medium.
  3. Spray a large non-stick frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, cinnamon, cumin and remaining tikka curry powder and fry for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the tomato purée and 250ml of water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring often.
  4. Meanwhile, thread the chicken pieces on to metal skewers, spray with low calorie cooking spray and grill for 12-15 minutes or until cooked through, turning occasionally. Remove the chicken from the skewers and stir into the sauce. Take the sauce off the heat, stir in the fromage frais and scatter over the coriander.
  5. Serve hot with rice of your choice.
- See more at: http://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/recipes/chicken-tikka-masala.aspx#sthash.7igVdOKO.dpuf

Am I right? I'm looking for a nice curry.

This looks like the one I used! I didn't have any ginger in so I left that out, and used lemon juice instead of lime as it's what I had.
So you marinade and cook the chicken, then make the sauce and stir in the chicken at the end.It was so tasty!
I often just make the chicken (marinaded in yogurt, lemon juice & tikka powder) and serve that either as kebabs in pitta bread with salad, or with roasted veg and rice/salad.
Yeah Mins shut down really suddenly for a couple of months- a few went over to a different forum called FoodFighters but it never really took off. Then Mins reopened and people are slowly filtering back, but if you don't check I don't suppose you know its reopened!
Hopefully it will be back to how it was before soon. It was so lively and supportive!

I have a few curries I learnt since joining SW

My fav syn free is

Mushy Pea Curry (Chicken)
Sounds awful but omg is it devine
Tin of mushy peas, tin of baked beans
Mix in a pot heat and then blitz to like a sauce next add 2 litres of chicken stock to a pot along with a Two diced onion and some garlic. We like a med curry powder but you can use mild or hot and add three tablespoons bring to boil and allow onion to soften. Then blitz the onion, mix in the bean pea mixture and blend well. It makes enough for six portions and as its only two in our house we freeze it.

We also make the cauliflower curry.
Which basically is boiling a cauliflower head that's all diced up (or a kilo bag of frozen cauli) and two onions diced in a large pot of chicken stock and two tablespoons of curry powder, I also add turmeric and chilli flakes to this one.
Blitz and serve

Two speedy curries.

I also use the Jamie Oliver Yellow Pukka Curry too. And the base has loads of speed but you need to syn the honey

I made one up today to use up what we had in the fridge and is was totally amazing - didn't taste at all like diet food and a nice change from the usual chunks of meat in a sauce which can get a little same-y. Made enough to easily serve 4, probably more but we were hungry!

2 aubergines, cut into large chunks
1 courgette, cut into large chunks
1 pepper, cut into large chunks
Frylight
2 chicken breasts, diced
1 onion, sliced
2 tbsp tandoori powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp black onion seeds
1 chicken oxo cube
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tsp sweetener
Handful coriander, chopped

Put the aubergine chunks into a bowl of cold, salted water and leave for 20 minutes.
Drain and pat dry and put into a roasting tin with the courgette and pepper and spray with Frylight. Roast at 170°C for about half an hour.
In a large pan, fry the onion until softened and add the chicken. Cook until browned.
Add the tandoori powder, cumin, ground coriander, turmeric and oxo cubes and cook off.
Add the roasted vegetables and a splash of water to the pan and cook until the vegetables soften a little.
Add the black onion seeds, chopped tomatoes and sweetener and cook until thickened.
Scatter with coriander and serve.

Back