Feel like Ive hit a wall.....advice pls!

missgalaxy

Yummy Mummy! xx
Well Ive been doing SW since february and have lost........ 7lb - THATS IT!

I feel like I have hit a brick wall at the moment, I am struggling daily to stick to the plan, then starving to make up for it, then bingeing when im hungry.

I LOVE going to class but Im also so embarassed by people who have been coming for a short period of time and have lost so much more than me!

I try and plan my day, be organised but its night time when it gets to me. Before SW (and the reason I got overweight) I used to eat chocolate and I really miss it. I know that I can use my syns to have some but im worried it will get out of control and I wont know when to stop.

I know there is only me that can get myself out of the rut and back on track (and believe me I do, I dont want to give up) but if anyone else has hit the 'brick wall' how did you get past it?

Im good at keeping a diary but I think one of the things is that I get bored easily and I think Im eating too much of the same things and Im struggling on a dinnertime. I feel like a pig if I eat a big meal even though I can and I 'think' I should be eating light, hence the bingeing later.

Sorry for the moan just after a bit of support really, feel like Im letting myself and everyone else down with my pitifull weigh loss, 7lb since february is not good especially paying all the money as well!

Hi missgalaxy, I'm a pretty slow loser as well - only 1st 6.5lb since the start of the year. But I'm ok with that.
In my opinion as long as it is coming off (no matter how slow) then it's in the right direction at least? I don't want SW to stop me getting on with my life, so when I want to go out and have a nice meal, or have some wine, then I do. I just get straight back onto it the next day.
I hit a bit of a brick wall in March - had b'days, anniversaries, holidays blah blah blah and just kinda gave up on the plan for a couple of months.
What started me back is my target - I'm going on hols in May and I WILL be wearing a size 12 bikini on the beach. This is what drives me, and stops me from turning a bad day (which I do have pretty regularly - but again I'm ok with that) into a bad week or even month (like I did earlier in the year)

Do you have a goal or a target that you are really determined to lose the weight for? I think if you find this, your head may follow?

Also do you think you're gaining anything from going to class? If not why not try going it alone? I can't afford the classes so stick to plan on my own, using minimins as my support.

Not sure whether this helps at all, but didn't want to read and run, and just wanted to share my point of view as another slow loser...

Good luck and big hugs

Aww, hun, that sounds really frustrating. 7lb is half a stone which is really good, do you feel any different at all? I know it has taken a while but some people do take longer to lose than others. I've been doing SW for over a year now and have lost 1 stone, whereas some people might have lost 3 stone in the same amount of time. Try not to let it get you down though, maybe you haven't really been 'in the zone' as they say.

I hit 'the wall' about 2 months ago, my weight just wasn't going anywhere and I gave up and just let myself go. But then a couple of weeks ago I just suddenly what I had been doing and that I was gaining weight rather than losing, and that isn't what I wanted. So started going back to class last week (first weigh in tomorrow!) and I had put on nearly a stone! That was a huge shock and has really motivated me to get back on plan and hopefully stick to it this time.

Do you have any events in the future that you would like to lose weight for? Maybe that might help give you a bit more motivation. Or maybe write a list of all the things that are motivating you to lose weight so you can keep looking back at it?

I know its hard but try not to pay too much attention to other peoples losses, everyone is different, but if you stick with it the lbs are bound to drop off. We just have to learn to be strong when we are having our weak days and say no to the temptations.

Hope you find it easy to get back on track, and once you have a good few days/weeks I'm sure it will get easier and easier and the way of eating will just come naturally. Good luck hun and feel free to moan at us lot any time :D

Number one: You seem to be putting yourself under an awful lot of pressure by comparing your losses with others- STOP THIS IMMEDIATELY. It is destructive and completely unhelpful. We all lose at different rates just as we all gained the weight in the first place at different rates. If this journey takes you 5 years, so what? You have to live through those 5 years anyway (I have been following SW for 2.3 years now and because of this slowness it has become my way of life)

Number 2: You have already identified a lot of your 'triggers' for bingeing so now you need to make sure those triggers are minimised as much as possible. e.g. if you get bored in the evening and then crave chocolate, change your routine. Start (and I know this sounds corny) knitting, or go for a walk, or have a lovely bubble bath, or give yourself a manicure or clean out your wardrobe or batch cook a load of SW freindly dinners for the freezer or sit down and plan your meals and food shopping or join a dance class or try an exercise DVD or go and meet friends or light some candles and read a book (and if you are thinking of an excuse for all of these STOP TRYING TO SABOTAGE YOURSELF!!!!).
There is a world out there that doesn't revolve around food- you just have to tap into it. If you sit down on the settee at night, where you always sat with a bar of chocolate before, or COURSE you are going to miss the chocolate- because it was a habit- break the habit by changing the routine.

Don't give up mate- this is potentially life changing, but you have to change your life to get there

(oooh- I like that- think I just coined a new catchphrase there!)

xxxxx

Do you know what????

You're all flippin' right! I got to get back into it, think POSITIVE, stop selfpittying and making excuses and get the hell on with it :greenapple:

I CAN do it, I WILL do it and Im WORTH it xxxx

Some brilliant advice from CocktailPrincess there. You need to stop comparing yourself with others. The friend I started going to group with lost 6lbs on her first week whereas I lost a 1lb. And she's already very slim! I didn't let it get to me though and was just pleased for her - I went on to lose 4lbs and got SOTW the following week...So we all lose at different rates, same as we all put on at our own rates too.

If I am down in the dumps it helps to see SW as a new lifestyle rather than a diet. A quick-fix it is not. This is your life we are talking about and you're ongoing relationship with food. It's not like being an alcoholic where you can just give up drinking - you have to eat to stay alive. What you can control is how much, how often and what type of food you consume. SW can help you with that control, making sure you make healthy choices - that's why I love it so. It's also why it works for so many of us.

All I can suggest is that you go back to basics, learn as much as you can about EE/green/red plans. Make sure you're having the correct Hexs and so on. But mostly try to enjoy it, because if you don't you're wasting your precious time. I'll stop rambling now, except to wish you the very best of luck. ZXXX

WOW all the above replies have inspired me! Just wanted to add one more thing. Trust in the plan - it sounds so easy. I have had time when I've started thinking of it as a diet, then started to think oh I can't have that cause its too fattening, or I shouldn't be eating all this. Even though it's in the plan. Forget all the old dieting rules and trust SW to allow you to eat loads and still lose weight. It does work!!! Good luck. xx

So there are a few things getting you down.

Firstly it doesn't matter what pace you lose weight as long as it comes off.

Secondly why not have that bar of chocolate, you've got the syns so use them on what you want.

You check out the syns for the choc you like & buy the lowest syn ones & keep them in a safe place, knowing you can have some as long as you have the syns.

Don't start depriving yourself, this wont help you with SW.

I love wine & choc & have a glass of wine most nights, but I do have a special glass for mid week which at 100mls I know is 3.5 syns. Most evenings I sit & enjoy my glass of wine and I don't even know I'm doing SW;)

Think CP has given some fab advice there :D

Hat's off to you for keep going, many would have given up!

I think that you need to prepair for when the attack of the munchies strikes. Make sure you have plenty of fresh fruit in & sit & munch that thinking all the time that do I really need it or is it just for the sake of it??

Also make sure your drinking enough, I know I sometimes feel much better after a big glass of juice & it curbs my need for something to eat.

The late night snack monster comes visiting me too (must come whizzing down the A1 ;)), and since my OH goes off to work at 8.30pm I tend to shovel in a load of naughties after that...

I have started cooking plenty for dinner, then dishing a big plate for OH, then 2 bowls for me (the quantity is probably equivalent to the big plate). I have one bowl for dinner and then the other later on when the hunger starts to creep in.

You'd be amazed how often the hunger DOENS'T appear when I am organised and in control like that and something healthy ready to eat, showing that it is just emotional hunger making me binge or, dare I say it, me being a piggy wig ;).
And the bonus is that if I don't eat the second helping, bosh, my lunch is ready for the next day :) :)

Missgalaxy, 7lbs is a fantastic loss! It doesn't matter how long it's taken you - what matters is that you're losing weight and are on your way to target! I know we all want 1 stone to drop off a week, but that just isn't realistic. You have to remember that even if you lost just half a pound a week, you would still lose about 2 stone a year (and we all know how quickly a year can pass).

Hun, night time is my downfall too. For me it's boredom - I eat because there's nothing else I want to do. CP is right, we need new hobbies and distractions. I try to go to the gym twice a week, on the days I do go I come home, have my dinner, a shower, and by that time it's late so I'm too tired to eat and if I am hungry I usually have syns to have a curly wurly or something, if you only buy a few you can't eat enough of them to go over the top, or even just have free foods like grapes, cherries, they're so yummy and great to pick at when watching TV.

As for being bored with the plan, I think everyone gets that like sometimes. I usually plan a whole week of new meals from the mag, on the recipe section here, or just adapt something I love to suit SW. Why don't you try that? Have a look around and get 7 recipes you've never tried before and do them all this week?

I have hit this brick wall too and to get past it I'm reminding myself of why I want to do this - I have a note in my purse of 10 reasons why I'm doing this. Honestly I am struggling to get past it, but the more I think positively the easier it gets.

Hope this helped xx

Number one: You seem to be putting yourself under an awful lot of pressure by comparing your losses with others- STOP THIS IMMEDIATELY. It is destructive and completely unhelpful. We all lose at different rates just as we all gained the weight in the first place at different rates. If this journey takes you 5 years, so what? You have to live through those 5 years anyway (I have been following SW for 2.3 years now and because of this slowness it has become my way of life)
Number 2: You have already identified a lot of your 'triggers' for bingeing so now you need to make sure those triggers are minimised as much as possible. e.g. if you get bored in the evening and then crave chocolate, change your routine. Start (and I know this sounds corny) knitting, or go for a walk, or have a lovely bubble bath, or give yourself a manicure or clean out your wardrobe or batch cook a load of SW freindly dinners for the freezer or sit down and plan your meals and food shopping or join a dance class or try an exercise DVD or go and meet friends or light some candles and read a book (and if you are thinking of an excuse for all of these STOP TRYING TO SABOTAGE YOURSELF!!!!).
There is a world out there that doesn't revolve around food- you just have to tap into it. If you sit down on the settee at night, where you always sat with a bar of chocolate before, or COURSE you are going to miss the chocolate- because it was a habit- break the habit by changing the routine.

Don't give up mate- this is potentially life changing, but you have to change your life to get there

(oooh- I like that- think I just coined a new catchphrase there!)

xxxxx

You should be a motivational speaker at SW classes hun! I know this wasn't about me but your advice totally made sense to me, thanks :D

If you sit down on the settee at night, where you always sat with a bar of chocolate before, or COURSE you are going to miss the chocolate- because it was a habit- break the habit by changing the routine.

YES! It has taken me 6 months to realise this - if I continue to do the same things, I will only get the same results... so shake it up a bit, and most of all, try to have fun with it!

Good luck for this week xxxx

youve had loads of great advice here and im glad to see that your feeling more positive already ((hugs))

im a binge eater and pre SW i would binge on chocolate every night so i cant have actual chocolate bars in my house anymore as i cant just stop at the one kitkat i would have to eat 4 and throw myself totally off plan, so i plan my day to make sure i still have a 'b' choice left which i usually use for 2 alpen light bars (chocolate & toffee) or 1 fibre plus bar both chocolatly but not enough to satisfy my night cravings so i chop them up into a cadburys light chocolate mousse (3 syns) so that it makes a big bowl and takes longer to eat at therefore satisys me, other than that ive been known to chop them up and add to a bowl of chopped fruit topped with activia FF vanila yoghurt which is really yummy too.

i constantly have to keep reminding myself why i want to lose weight and at the moment i have a party in september that i want to lose a stone for (6lb down so far) i have a countdown to the stone written on a piece of paper and attached to my fridge and that helps me stay focused most of the time x

You've all set me off crying again lol!! :cry::cry:

Thank you all SO much! Its so nice to know that im not the only one who hits the 'wall' and there are ways round it other than bingeing and giving in!
xx

I cant add anything more than the fantastic advice that has already been given, but CP is right. Identify the times that you are more likely to binge on the naughty stuff and change those habits. This is why I dance! Its hard to cram anything in when you're being spun around! Lol.
I get bored of food too and have identified that I have been eating the same things over again for the last month or so...this week Im sticking to Red and Green as I know that I can loose weight far better than when I do EE. It just doesnt work for me...I wish it did :(
Your other posts are far more positive and you can do it Hun, you just have to believe in yourself and in SW.

Take care.

x

I copied this down from a board in my group last night while I was waiting for IM to start. I dont know if it is a SW mantra but I'd not heard it before. It may help a little...

Dont worry if you weight loss is
just a little slow
with this new way of eating
and enjoying each meeting
soon the pounds will go

If another member's weight loss
is spreading along like a race
dont think it bleak
stay to group each week
you'll suceed at your personal pace

It doesn't really matter
if it takes a wee bit longer
the warmth that surrounds you
and the friendship around you
will grow so very much stronger

and if you want to stop off
somwhere along the way
apart from your fee
you'll be happy too see
Simming World wont make you pay

Through your trained and caring consultant
you'll know we dont really mind
if the scenic route
would you personally suit
your target you still will find

Fast or slow, the way to go
is entirely up to you
you choose the pace
and with a smile on your face
you'll reach a slimmer you.

Do you know what????

You're all flippin' right! I got to get back into it, think POSITIVE, stop selfpittying and making excuses and get the hell on with it :greenapple:

I CAN do it, I WILL do it and Im WORTH it xxxx

That's the spirit :D We're all in the same boat really sweetheart. I KNOW you can do it. And YES YES YES, YOU ARE WORTH IT! Good luck xxx

Fab posts on here - excellent!

CP cracking post from you as per usual, and one that applies to us all - Thank you for the perspective. You're a diamond xxx

Downsizingmycurves - Love the poem. A lesson there for us all. Thanks for posting it xxx

Thank you all so much for ya kind words!

have just got back home from ASDA - went and really stocked up on foods to get me back on track and am just about to tuck into a jacket Potato with ham, beans and a salad.

Will keep you updated with my progess - thank you all again! xx

Back