Feeling down and sorry for myself:-(

Maximus

Gold Member
Today I had what can be described as my first setback/bad news since beginning my journey.

My weightloss has been consistent and good. Some of you may know how I have been taken off insulin and now controlling diabetes via diet and pills.

Pehaps I'm acting like a petulant child - spoilt brat you might say but today I decided to enrol at the works gym (it is free of charge and very convenient etc.) Induction included taking the usual measurements, but for some reason, my blood pressure was too high! - I do not know why. My last few of check-ups at docs have been fine (all in the past 2 months).

Perhaps I am over-reacting, but it is the works night out this evening and I feel a little low. Perhaps it is a wake-up call in that everything has to be worked for or worked at?

Just thought I'd share it here and let it out. Please don't think I'm looking for sympathy - far from it. It is the mid-point of my week so rather than dwell on it I will have a good evening tonight and try and forget it. Will address it on Monday with visit to docs etc.

Anyone else find it difficult to balance several ailments?

Steve

hi i have the opposite to u my blood pressure is very low (i have fainted in the past) i have high cholesterol but as my blood pressure is low they are not worried about it. had u been rushing about b4 u went to the gym? which could have resulted in a rise, i know it must be both worrying and annoying but hopefully when u go to the docs it will be back to normal good luck :)

Aawww Steve you have every right to feel down and sorry for yourself as it was a bit of a shock and I think it is a natural reaction.

I am no expert but as this was a different person doing your blood pressure reading there could of been a mistake as it can happen.

Your blood pressure can go up and down for all sorts of reasons.

I would definitely check back with your own doctor on Monday to put your mind at rest.

Try not to let it spoil this evening for you:hug99:

I had high blood pressure before starting W but through exercise and diet it is now classed as 'normal'. Don't give up the faith sometimes their are twists and turns on your journey, you juyst have got to take the highs with the lows :)

I agree it should be checked again.

Don't worry to much about it . You are doing really well stick with it.

I try to juggle an underactive thyroid and breast cancer. Fortunately I came of the BC tablets earlier this year after 6 years of treatment and so far all is well.

Enjoy your night out................ go for it.

Needs to be taken in standing and sitting. If it's ok at the docs, then tell them their machine is crocked!

and a one off reading means nothing! just some things that can affect your bp - needing a pee, stress, tiredness, worry (white coat syndrome!) caffiene, standing up, laying down, incorrect size cuff, smoking. just a few things off the top of my head lol! Oh and I have been known to take two reading one from left and one from right and they can be markedly different!!!

Yep agree with the above, my other halfs blood pressure goes through the roof the minute he sets foot in a doctors let alone when they do his blood pressure. He can only have readings on the old fashion ones not the digital (he always breaks them??).

i have heard that coffee and talking can give an extra high reading too (im a chatter box so try and zip it for the reading LOL)

try not to worry to much :) x

You know I should never have expected anything less than 100% backing and commitment from you lot! - you are a better tonic than anything a doctor can give - prescribed or otherwise!!!

I had my works xmas do last night (I was good deed man the taxi driver) I enjoyed the meal. Even allowed myself gravy and what looked like butter coated spuds:eek:

With my rambler group today I did a very wet/muddy 4.62 mile walk ending with a 2nd christmas lunch of crab (starter) Sea food Mornay (god knows what was in the bechemal/cheddary mix) and even an ice-cream. I now feel as though I have had a really fantastic weekend. Had possibly one of the best there meals of all time (the crab, salmon cod, mussels, prawns all locally sauced in and around Craster/Seahouses in Northumberland).

Anyway, the upshot of it all was I was beginning to act like a spoilt brat. I'm going to see my own GP's (and diabetic nurse, dietician etc.) the reading was damn high at 179 over 102!!! - my previous two at the docs were "perfect"

I've been decadent having now had two meals "off plan" in 9 weeks. 3 days to weigh-in and you know what? - i feel great and wouldn't be surprised with another loss.

Thanks for the support and flinging virtual stars at all of you lol.

Steve (the priviliged!) x

PS I do know his scales were very innacurate!

I hope that when you go to your doctors and they give you a perfectly normal reading, which I have no doubt what-so-ever that's what you'll get, you get back in touch with the gym and give them a stern telling off.

They shouldn't frighten the s*** out of someone like that.

Whoop arse baby!!!!!!

I'm just bumping this thread as today (10am) I had my appointment with Occ Health at work. My b/p was 129/73 with 62 heart rate. Apparently that is good/normal (not just for me, but anyone lol).

Makes me wonder what on earth the dude at the gym was thinking/doing. Fortunately, the full-time geezer will enrol me after the hols:) He can't understand what happened .

Feeling much better of course and thanks for all the encouragement.

Steve

Really pleased for you Steve....... though would be asking questions!!!

I am re-inducting in the new year. Should the same fellabe there, I will show him how to use the monitor:)

Good job I'm not a vindictive person lol

Back