Feeling down with so far to go

frankied

Silver Member
I know I've lost 2 stone but it feels like it's only made a small dent in total 8 and half I have to loose. I know it didn't go on over night, but it's really getting me down thinking how long it's going to be before I even come close to being slim.
I don't think it helps that the people who attend my group many aren't far from target and had no more than 4 to 5 st to loose in total and most don't have more than 3.
I'm sorry for the rant and I know other people do have more to loose but it's hard when I've never personally meet them it makes me feel so alone. I worry about how I will stay motivated for 18 months to 2 years while I loose the weight?
Right now it does feel like I'll never get there, I feel so fat (because I am) and the way I look is upsetting me to point that I can't stand myself.
:cry:

Try not to think about the length of the journey. Try and cut it into small pieces. Either smaller weight targets, or smaller time pieces.
If you've lost two...then you only have 6+half to go.
I also had 8stone to lose. At the beginning I couldn't even admit to it - as I don't think I would have made it this far!
I'm now (I hope) less than 2weeks away from being at the halfway mark! 2.5lb to go.
Keep at it. Keep a list of all the reasons you are wanting to lose weight with you at all times. Read it whenever you are wavering.

Losing 2stone is no small feat. You should be celebrating!

You're in a much better position now than where you were 2 stone ago. You've done really well so far. Don't think of it in terms of how long it's going to take you to get there, the point is SW is a new way of life and can be made fun and enjoyable along the way. Don't put pressure on yourself to lose it within a certain timescale, you're on a journey to a new you, you can do this, make SW a new way of life and you won't see it as a diet, it'll just be an every day thing and one day you'll weigh and realise you've achieved your goal x x

Congratulations on your weight loss so far, you need to pat yourself on the back. It's very hard to look ahead to what we have to loose but its easier to go for smaller goals at a time, I went for each 7lb award sticker (i love those shiny stickers lol). Think of it this way, everyday you are getting healthier and slimmer and you will thank yourself for carrying on to the next 7lbs loss. This will spurr you on so much, it did for me. Please take the pressure off yourself and don't worry about others in the group believe it or not they probably felt the same as you when they began. When your feeling low get out a sw mag or recipe book and find something nice and make it and enjoy it, it will keep you ocuppied and help with your weight loss. Well done again hun and keep it up. xxx Looby

if it helps i know how you feel i have been the same in my group, but you have made the right choices and soon you will be one of the smaller ones of the group, in total i had 9st 8.5lb to lose to get me down to my goal weight of 10st, right now i have lost 4st 11.5lb so 4st 11lb to go so i am just now alittle over half way there, we could buddy up if you like keep each other motivated x

I know I've lost 2 stone but it feels like it's only made a small dent in total 8 and half I have to loose. I know it didn't go on over night, but it's really getting me down thinking how long it's going to be before I even come close to being slim.
I don't think it helps that the people who attend my group many aren't far from target and had no more than 4 to 5 st to loose in total and most don't have more than 3.
I'm sorry for the rant and I know other people do have more to loose but it's hard when I've never personally meet them it makes me feel so alone. I worry about how I will stay motivated for 18 months to 2 years while I loose the weight?
Right now it does feel like I'll never get there, I feel so fat (because I am) and the way I look is upsetting me to point that I can't stand myself.
:cry:

You can get there and you will get there but only if you start believing in yourself and rewarding yourself for all the good that you have achieved so far! Don't beat yourself up for gods sake, give yourself a HUGE pat on the back for what you have lost in such a short time!

I can see how it might seem a daunting target but with a positive attitude it is totally achievable and may not take as long as you think! Go have a look at Capricorn's thread in weight loss diaries, she has lost 120lbs plus in a year and is still marching onwards and downwards! If you need inspiration that is a great thread, her attitude is second to none!

Good luck with it all, but honestly be kinder to yourself! http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/149197-shedding-wobble.htmlhttp://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/149197-shedding-wobble.html

Frankied,

I need to go to bed (!) but I wanted to post. I totally understand how you feel because I've been there. My starting weight was pretty similar to yours. I never ever used to think of how much I had to lose, only aiming for the next half stone. And then suddenly you look back and you realise how far you've come already. The other thing that will start to happen fairly soon is that people will notice more and more. That will make you feel good. People only started to notice at around 2.5 stone but not that many, but from 3-3.5 loads of people noticed and now barely a day goes by when someone doesn't comment.

It won't be too long before you will start to feel better about yourself and it will be LONG before your actual target before you feel great. I feel great (and have done for at least a stone or so) and although I'm still clearly overweight I am already having people say to me 'don't lose any more'. I don't believe that but it shows how far I've come. I was a size 24 and now I'm a 14-16 mostly. I can go into 'normal' shops that I haven't been into for years and years.

So, stick with it. You are making great progress and it really won't be long before you will start to feel more positive. Big hugs.

Gail x

A lot of us can sympathise with you frankied. But you have come so far already and are making fantastic progress. It was about when I had lost 2 stone that I realised SW actually worked (I didnt think that I could lose so much weight and that I had gone beyond the point of no return). As time has progressed, the belief that I could actually lose the 7 stone excess grew, and that helped make it a lot easier to cope with.

Like many others have suggested, keep it small like focussing on the 1/2 stone awards. And remember, it wont be long before you are one of the people in group that only have a few more stone to go :)

I echo what's already been said. I know exactly how you feel...some days I get sooooo down, and others I really have to pull myself in and focus on smaller goals. At the start, I was aiming to lose 21st 9.5lbs :eek:

Well, 45 weeks in, 3st 8.5lbs down, yo-yoing at 31 losses vs 14 gains, I still beat myself up, because I feel I have not done nearly as well as I feel I should have, especially at the size I started. I often feel that 3st 8.5lbs is nothing but a pebble in a very large ocean to the extent that if I were to continue at this rate, I've calculated that it would take me six years before I saw goal. Not easy to handle when people around you are dropping 7+ stones in the exact same time frame it took you to drop just over 3.5.

I've learned that losing weight is not just about our size or health. It is re-learning something. It is teaching ourselves self control, how to make healthier choices. It is breaking bad habits and forming new ones. It is forcing ourselves out of a destructive comfort zone. And it's very, very hard, because anything we learn is undoubtedly left to us alone to execute. This is a victory in itself. The weight loss is welcome side-effect.

I try to take each day as it comes, and I try not to look towards what I can't control. All I can do is aim to make it through each day and hope that every seven gives me a loss. Try aiming for halfway, it's much closer. Think of it as losing 7lbs four more times. When you put it like that, it doesn't seem so bad. It's a little something, but something nonetheless.

Frankie, I understand completely where you are coming from!

We started at the same weight and have an equal amount to lose, but you've lost more than I have! (only managed just over 1 1/2 stone)

I feel very down too, had hoped it would come off more quickly, but it seems its not to be.

I have contact with people who are losing the weight very fast - some because they are on 500 cals a day and one because she is doing SW but possibly (she was in the past, not sure now) purging..and my miniscule losses are very demotivating in the face of that.

However, I'm not giving up, and I can only think that if I keep it up they will inevitably put the weight back on (cos 500 cals a day and purging is NOT a sustainable lifestyle), but I might just make it.

So lets cheer each other on, huh?

((frankie))

Also, don't look at the bigger picture for now, just join a challenge (if you've not already done so) and focus on that, say 7lbs off in May this is what I have done all along set myself mini goals - Lose X per month - drop down into the next stone bracket - do up the button on my jeans and be able to breathe - any small goal to focus on rather than the total weight loss - I was so bad I got my gym instructor to weigh me and write it on my card but not tell me - I didn't look for ages as I knew I had a long way to go and didn't want the thought of 10st+ weight loss sending me do-lally :)

Keep going frankied, 2 stone is a great weight loss. good luck

How I recognise this story!

Most of my wobbles are caused by the size of my challenge ... but that's just how i think about it now ... a challenge.

Anything worth doing ... is hard.
But you have to take it one day at a time.
No amount of trying to rush it will make it easier or more successful.

You are making better, healthy choices for you and your body.
And you will find the rate of loss that is right for your body :)

I've lost 2st 11, but i've got another 7st 3 to lose - so if you need a buddy!

Keep going, it's the only choice. Time is the most important thing in losing a lot of weight. When I started I knew that it would take a long time and just got on with it. If it comes off at 1lb a week, which it did with me, you'll still get there in the end and the plan will be so ingrained that it really will be a way of life and yoi'll have more chance of keeping it off.
Remember that you are already slimmer than you were and every loss will make you slimmer again.
Really, target isn't the only mark of success. Every new dress size, every day on plan and every new stone bracket etc are all successes. Celebrate them and be proud.
Well done on your weight loss so far.

There's little more I can add to the fantastic words of advice here, but just wanted to say that you can do it! You're doing amazingly well already and you have just got to keep going.

There are times when you will struggle but that's okay, everyone does and we are all here to help and support each other along the way.

Stay positive, focus on the next half stone and you will be at target before you know it! X x x x

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, I WILL keep at and WILL NOT give up it's just so hard when it feels so far away

you are nearly 12% less of you than you were at the beginning!!

keep up the good work. you have done great so far! :)

When I'm feeling depressed about the time yawning ahead of me, and wishing I could be slim RIGHT NOW please (lol) I like to remind myself that the months ahead are months I have to live through anyway, whether I'm on a diet or not. So I can either give up and, in six months/a year, be the same weight or heavier than I am now. Or I can live through the same time, on plan, and end up at target - and slim, this time for the rest of my life.

I don't usually like 'tough love' type stuff, but for some reason this really cheers me up! Plus, I can't help but look forward to the day when I can brag that I've lost seven stone ;)

Hope this helps a little! :)

Back