Feeling very despondent

jenny83

My weigh-in day is not til Friday but I was feeling curious and had a little go on the scales and I saw that I have put on 2lbs making me even bigger than when I started to eat better. I eat lots of fruit and do exercise every night but I see other people on here losing 3lb/4lbs a week when I'm putting weight on. :(

I know it might be just a blip but I really tempted to give it one more week and if I put on weight on to give up. If I going to put weight on I might as well eat chocolate.

Sorry for the rant.

You're thinking about this all wrong. Putting on weight is NOT a reason to quit. Its a reason to work harder. Could you improve your eating in anyway? Are you eating too much or not enough? Is your period due? Are you exercising? The last two could mean water weight (Fruit contains a lot of water and if you are exercising daily your body could be retaining water to help heal your muscles). Are you bloated?

Don't give up. Even if you are putting on weight (probably temporarily) it is still so much better for you to rat health things and exercise. Keep working. You can do it. There's probably a perfectly innocent explanation. Also, try not to weigh mid week. Your weight fluctuates anyway and that might have something to do with it. Good luck.

Fruit Also contains a lot of sugar which, if not exercised off actually will turn to fat because at the end of the day it's still sugar despite being a healthier sugar than sweets etc. they are now saying that we shouldn't have more than two fruit as part of our 5 a day because of this.

Don't give up though whatever you do. It will come off but you must persevere

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Me too Jenny. I don't know if I buy into this 'starvation mode' thing...
Have you been exercising lots- maybe its muscle gain?
Also I am telling myself that the slower the body adjusts and loses weight and tones, the slower / less likely it is to balloon back again.
This board is a great help and inspiration in many ways but can be disheartening if your progress falters and you feel you are really sticking to plan!
I keep checking in on your diary as we have similar-ish amounts to lose and seem to eat kind of the same sort of stuff.
Keep your chin up, science, logic, whatever denotes that you MUST lose eventually by eating less & moving more! :)

do not give up!! unless you want to be feeling the way you was before...which you obviously werent happy or why else would you have embarked on a diet in the first place. sometimes we gain, theres no rhyme or reason it just happens, you need to learn to deal with it in a positive way other than getting mad and using it as an excuse to give up. yes its not fair, but your not alone, i went through 6 months of losing and gaining the same 3 or 4 pound, i felt like giving up but knew deep down that i would just pile it back on...so i kept trying different things. maybe increase exercise, check your weighing and measuring things properly, change the things your eating if you tend to eat the same things, cut out snacking and use your cals on your meals and dont eat between them...step it up a bit. good luck

Thanks everyone, there is some good advice there and I will try to follow it.

Well good luck with the weigh in and remember even the time of day that you weigh in can alter your weight. Eg first thing in morning after a wee is your dry weight.

Have you just recently upped your exercise? If so until your body gets used to it, it will retain water to help repair and fuel your muscles. I was reading recently that it takes about 3 weeks for your body to get used to new exercise. So it might very well be water retention. Once your body gets used to its new routine the weight will start moving.

Same here - gonna weigh in on Monday but been on the scales this morning and have put on 2 sodding lbs! Have been under my calories every day and have done 3 walks this week. Peed off is not even close to how I feel!

faery_lights said:
You're thinking about this all wrong. Putting on weight is NOT a reason to quit. Its a reason to work harder.

What a brilliant point! I'm going to put that everywhere now to keep me focused :D

Thank you :)

What a brilliant point! I'm going to put that everywhere now to keep me focused :D

Thank you :)

Glad I could help! I promise, it's something I need reminding of from time-to-time as well!

Back