fennel seeds

llewis

I have asked 2 different consultants if fennel seeds are synned because i found a recipe stating they were but neither of them were sure & havent managed to find out. I assumed thet were synfree like cumin seeds etc. can any one help:confused:

Yes they're definitely free, all spices are free.

thanks for that. i know that some seeds arnt free ie sesame & mustard so that added to the confusion. at least now i can start using them again

Yeah but you're not likely to eat many kilos of fennel seeds :D

I had a feeling that they were synned - I'm sure I remember seeing a SW recipe with syns and the only possible ingredient that could have been synned was the fennel seeds. Having said that, I've just searched for recipes with fennel seeds on the official site, and the only receipe with fennel seeds is coming up free (its 2 tsp of crushed fennel seeds in a beef curry)

I get the point that you wont be eating kilos of it - but you wont be eating kilos of sunflower seeds or mustard seeds either and they are synned.

Fennel seeds are definitely, definitely, definitely not synned. They are spices, which are free.

Sunflower seeds you could eat a whole packet of, no problemo, and they are full of fat. Fennel seeds you might chuck a teaspoon, hey, lets be rad - maybe even a TABLESPOON!!!! :eek: or so in a whole meal shared out between, what, 2, 3, 4 people? So you are having a maximum of, say, a teaspoon to yourself?

As we all know, SW isn't calorie counting - but if you look up the nutritional info:
- Fennel seeds - about 20 calories per tbsp
- Sunflower seeds - about 80 calories per tbsp

So sunflower seeds are 4 times as many calories and you are very likely to eat several tablespoons of them. Whereas in all fairness I cant see you sitting there munching your way through a bag of fennel seeds. :confused: :D Although feel free to prove me wrong :rolleyes: ;)

Be assured - fennel seeds are a spice and are FREEEEEE!!!!!

(And in all honesty, even if they were you wouldn't see me putting half a syn or whatever for a teaspoon of fennel syns on my food diary - let's be honest, it's not going to put *any* weight on me... :) )

thanks for that. i know that some seeds arnt free ie sesame & mustard so that added to the confusion. at least now i can start using them again

PS who told you mustard seeds were synned?

Fennel seeds are definitely, definitely, definitely not synned. They are spices, which are free.

Sunflower seeds you could eat a whole packet of, no problemo, and they are full of fat. Fennel seeds you might chuck a teaspoon, hey, lets be rad - maybe even a TABLESPOON!!!! :eek: or so in a whole meal shared out between, what, 2, 3, 4 people? So you are having a maximum of, say, a teaspoon to yourself?

As we all know, SW isn't calorie counting - but if you look up the nutritional info:
- Fennel seeds - about 20 calories per tbsp
- Sunflower seeds - about 80 calories per tbsp

So sunflower seeds are 4 times as many calories and you are very likely to eat several tablespoons of them. Whereas in all fairness I cant see you sitting there munching your way through a bag of fennel seeds. :confused: :D Although feel free to prove me wrong :rolleyes: ;)

Be assured - fennel seeds are a spice and are FREEEEEE!!!!!

(And in all honesty, even if they were you wouldn't see me putting half a syn or whatever for a teaspoon of fennel syns on my food diary - let's be honest, it's not going to put *any* weight on me... :) )

That all makes perfect sense so happy to concede that they are free - its all good news so I certainly am not going to try and disagree!

My mistake with mustard seeds as well -also free! The seeds on the SW website that are listed as having syns are (per 28g) hemp (5 1/2), poppy (7), sesame (8 1/2), linseed (3 1/2), pumpkin (8) and sunflower (8).

Incidentally - what do you use fennel seeds for - I bought a jar specifically because one of my favourite pubs for roast dinners add them to their carrots, so I do the same - have never used them for anything else!

I use mine every week in curries, yum yum! :) Also sometimes roast veggies or occasionally in mixes for bean salads and what not. Almost always my curry though mmmmm :)

yes i use them in curries & because i get recipes from "proper" recipe books, they do contain fennel seeds. i was also told by a consultant that mustard seeds were synned! so ive been changing recipes needlessly. At least i can go back to the proper recipe & enjoy my curries even more. Thanks for all your input

My standard spice mix would include fennel seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, nigella seeds... I eat it once or twice every week and I've lost over four stone so I dont think its doing me any harm :D

well done! im 3lb from my target so not long to go now. I use all the same spices as you for most curries & lots of lentils too. im now wishing i had made curry for tea & not lasagne!

Back