Fighting fit for Fifty... My journey this year.

dabhand

Starting over
It's time to do something about this Weight problem I have (or the Elephant in the room as I like to call it) I am Fifty in November and have a good few stone to lose so I have finally decided to take myself seriously and deal with it.

I am very happily married with grown up children and three grand children. I am self employed and run my own small business making Handmade Natural soap and Candles. My hubby is a Magician and Children's entertainer.

Last year our world was turned upside down when after a lot of pain followed by a broken back and major surgery my lovely husband was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma (Bone Marrow Cancer)

I haven't joined a SW group yet as we are waiting for my husbands Stem Cell transplant which is towards the end of this month. We will be about 2 hours away from home and will be away for up to 4 weeks in an isolation ward as the Chemotherapy is high dose and we have to avoid any contact with people. He has been on Chemo since August so his immune system is low which is why I am avoiding any groups and swimming pools etc.

My weight problem has been a long time coming, gradually getting worse each year but I put a lot of weight on last year as my hubby was so poorly and for a long while we didn't know what was wrong. I was so worried I piled more on mainly due to bad choice snacking and being so busy and not cooking properly and also lack of proper exercise.

I need to lose this weight as I am so uncomfortable and unfit, I am aiming to finally get fit for when I am 50. I have tried SW before but didn't take the time to understand it. I didn't really grasp it so ultimately I failed. This time round I am really going for it properly so have been reading a few diaries and getting lots of inspiration and ideas on how to do it properly so thanks to Dawn, Sarah, Gail, Steve, Emmey and Ermentrude for their diaries as they have really given me something to 'chew on' (no pun intended).

It would be lovely to hear from anyone out there so please feel free to make any comments or suggestions or just say hello!

Oh and by the way my real name is Dawn but we already have a Dawnie on here so I am sticking to my user name to save any confusion.

Update:- Finally started SW on 29th February 2012

Last edited:
Hi Dawn, so sorry to hear about your hubby i hope the stem cell treatment is successful.

I wish you every luck in your life and in your sw journey, we are all here to help and not just with the weight loss, if you ever need a virtual shoulder etc there will be someone here Im sure.

Good luck xxxxxxxxxx

Morning Dawn x

So sorry to read about hubbys health problems...lifes so unfair at times.

But well done on deciding to do something about your weight, despite all tge other stuff that's going on.

If you're anything like me, you'll welcome the diet as a bit of a distraction from your worries, which is no bad thing. And u need to be as fit as possible for when hubbs comes out of hospital and you're running around looking after him!

As you've no doubt already seen, we're one big happy family on here and we all help eachother out. So any problems, they'll always be someone here to help u out x

Take care x

Dawnie xx

Hi Dawn,

Glad you have your own thread now. Welcome to SW and well done for making the commitment. Sorry to hear that you have a few difficult things going on in life.

As you are just starting out again, I will give you the benefit of my advice (even if you didn't want it !):

1. Plan, plan, plan. Don't go anywhere there may be food without having a plan (even if it's a flexi syn plan).

2. Drink loads of water. The more the better (within reason !)

3. Take one day at a time. You will almost certainly have 'bad days' and the odd gain here and there. There is no shame in that, it's life. But what you must do is dust yourself off and get back on the wagon.

4. Use your syns. They are what make life pleasant (at least for me !) and give the plan longevity because you shouldn't feel deprived so can keep going.

And enjoy. You can eat lots of really lovely food so eat the things you like and stick with it.

Best of luck.

Gail x

Found you!

There's no escaping now. (Muahahahaha.)

By the way, whereabouts in Lincolnshire are you?
- I'm not a stalker, honest! I used to live there.

I'll look forward to popping in on your diary, as you do on mine.
And good luck with this "journey".
I know that lots of really bad stuff is going on in your life, but you will find as you get used to SW and start enjoying it, that you grab hold of it as one thing you can actually control when the rest of life has a habit of running away with you. Or from you. Or something.

See - I can be serious when called for.

Fortunately it's not called for often. Or I ignore the call and just start yodelling loudly enough that I can't hear it.

*High on a hill was a lonely goatherd.....*

:wavey: hello Dawn :wavey: found your diary and loving that new smiley avatar

So sorry to hear about your hubby's illness, what a worry for you, but remember we are all here for you sweetie. I am not totally on sw but cook the sw way even thought I am now a slimpodder :D plus all my friends are on sw and I love them to bits so feel an enormous part of the team :D

Going to join us writing down three positives a day sweetie? I know its a difficult time for you but it might help you through it all :bighug:

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Found you!

There's no escaping now. (Muahahahaha.)

:hide:

By the way, whereabouts in Lincolnshire are you?
- I'm not a stalker, honest! I used to live there.

Between Alford and Mablethorpe in a little village called Beesby. Where abouts did you live?.

I'll look forward to popping in on your diary, as you do on mine.
And good luck with this "journey".
I know that lots of really bad stuff is going on in your life, but you will find as you get used to SW and start enjoying it, that you grab hold of it as one thing you can actually control when the rest of life has a habit of running away with you. Or from you. Or something.

You are so right there Sarah, I really do want to do it this time so I will be taking control. One of the problems is that when we are away in Nottingham I will be staying in the Patient Hotel and will be eating in the hospital restaurant which is mainly jacket pots, salad and pasta stuff otherwise the choices are not SW friendly that's one of the reasons I plan to start properly when we are back home.

See - I can be serious when called for.

Fortunately it's not called for often. Or I ignore the call and just start yodelling loudly enough that I can't hear it.

:8855:

*High on a hill was a lonely goatherd.....*

*lay odl lay odl lay hee hoo...*

Ah. I was about as far away from there as you get, and still stay in Lincolnshire!
Stamford.

But never mind.

Now, quit that yodelling. I can hear it from here, and it's making my head hurt.

:wavey: hello Dawn :wavey: found your diary and loving that new smiley avatar

:thankyou: :wavey:

So sorry to hear about your hubby's illness, what a worry for you, but remember we are all here for you sweetie. I am not totally on sw but cook the sw way even thought I am now a slimpodder :D plus all my friends are on sw and I love them to bits so feel an enormous part of the team :D

Yes, everyone is really friendly and welcoming

Going to join us writing down three positives a day sweetie? I know its a difficult time for you but it might help you through it all :bighug:

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

That's a good idea, are the 'positives' to be about weight loss or anything in particular?

Ok, I'll sing then..... *"when I'm calling you ooo ooo ooo ooo ooo"*.

Will you answer too ooo ooo ooo ooo ?

Ummmmm - I think that F sharp was a little bit flat.
Can you improve your tuning, please?

And you'll need to make sure you can select the correct mackerel with that tuning fork.
For your initiation, you understand.

And that's while your right toes are tied to your left elbow with precisely the right shade of double knitting, and while you recite the 17th verse of Hiawatha, in Swahili.

So I think you should be practising hard, rather than wasting your time with all this singing.

Ok???

I think you'll find that that F sharp was an F flat :rolleyes:

Ah. Then you should look at the score more closely.
Or I should.

Damn. I'm sure it was....

Ah. Yerse. I see the problem.
Jam. All over the notes. Again.
It is blueberry, though.
The best flavour for Indian Love Calls, I think you'll find.

Now, where was I???

Back