Finding something to eat at work!

emilymadcat

Hi

I'm a very new newbie, but needing some advice regarding what to eat at work!
I work in an Italian-ish restaurant, and although we have an unpaid break, we are given food from a choice off the menu. Now I know I could just eat salad, but if I'm working a nine hour shift this just won't cut the mustard.

The problem is that EVERYTHING is smothered in oil at some point. When the pasta is prepped for the day, it is given a drizzle of oil to stop it sticking. The baked potatoes are brushed with oil before being put in the oven. (They are also bought in from Brakes, so I don't know how they've been prepared prior to arriving already frozen).

I've been wondering about the lasange, because we make it from scratch - though the white sauce is bought in and made up with semi-skimmed milk.

I could always bring in from home, but as a student, I can't say no to a free meal! Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Hmm, that's tricky - the jck potato should be ok if you dont eat the skin. What about taking your own toppings in to work?

I know it will be tempting to eat at work, especially if they are offering if free of charge but my advice would be just to bring your own food. Then you know exactly what is in it and what the syns are. You will will have complete control over what you eat.

Lasagne is probably one of the worst choices to make in an italian restaurant I'm afraid - the mince would need synned as it will not be extra lean, you have syns in the oil used during cooking, plus syns for milk, cheese and cornflour in the white sauce. It's really not even worth considering.

it's either bringing your own or having pasta with a tomato-based sauce and just accepting that you will need to allow some of your syn allowance for the oil.

Sorry not to have anything more constructive or positive to offer :(

Thanks for the help - I never thought about not eating the skin - that could be a major help!

I think biting the bullet and just making sure I'm prepped is probably my best option, but I'm v. grateful for all the advice!

emilymadcat said:
Hi

I'm a very new newbie, but needing some advice regarding what to eat at work!
I work in an Italian-ish restaurant, and although we have an unpaid break, we are given food from a choice off the menu. Now I know I could just eat salad, but if I'm working a nine hour shift this just won't cut the mustard.

The problem is that EVERYTHING is smothered in oil at some point. When the pasta is prepped for the day, it is given a drizzle of oil to stop it sticking. The baked potatoes are brushed with oil before being put in the oven. (They are also bought in from Brakes, so I don't know how they've been prepared prior to arriving already frozen).

I've been wondering about the lasange, because we make it from scratch - though the white sauce is bought in and made up with semi-skimmed milk.

I could always bring in from home, but as a student, I can't say no to a free meal! Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

I'm pretty sure wetherspoons use brakes jackets and according to sw they are syn free as for the oil they brush on at your place 1 tbsp is 6 syns so there is prob only a couple of syns ob the spud at the most hope that helps

Back