First post here!

mrscarlyc

Hi, I started SW in mid January and have lost a stone so far (which I know is not a great amount but I haven't been sticking to plan very much), last week I had my Gynae appointment for my PCOS, me and hubby trying for baby for four years with no luck :(. He said I had 3 stone to go befor they would start me on fertility treatment an d he's given me 6 months to try and do this...what I would like to know is if this is possible in 6 months and what measures can I take to speed my weight loss, I'm currently about 17 stone so plenty of weight to lose but I started slimming world with the sole intention of losing weight to get fertility help, anyone else been/or in this situation or similar? Struggling to stick to plan even though this should motivate me more than anything else in the world!! Any help or advice please :D x

Hiya,

First thing i would say is, losing 3 stone in 6 months is not going to be a problem at all in my opinion, the average person if they stick to the plan will lose between 1-3lb per week and being that you currently weigh 17st i would say 2lb per week would be entirely reasonable for you.

But and i cant stress this enough, you have to have your head in the right place to be able to stick to the plan, so if you genuinely want to have this fertility treatment, have a word with yourself and get the issues which are stopping you focusing sorted out as otherwise i promise you you will be on here in 5 months time saying i have 2 stone to lose in a month and at that stage it will be too late to do anything about it.

I genuinely wish you the best of luck in this and i hope for you and your husbands sake you can get yourself in a good emotional place so this will work for you.

Regards

Paul

As a PCOS sufferer myself. You are going to struggle with that. I was over 17stone when i first started SW, took me 3 years to lose 3 stone (been something like a year if i didnt keep falling off the wagon), this time i restarted in january and still havent reached a stone. All PCOS sufferers seem to have problems losing weight because of water retention and stuff. Even though I have stuck to it i'm struggling to lose weight. All i can say is if wanting a baby isn't motivating you then you need to find something else that will. Up until last week mine was to get off the pill my doc had given my from PCOS cos it was making me depresssed (she ended up taking me off it because of the depressive swings) now I just want to fit in a dress i bought for my mums wedding anniversary meal in august. You have to lose it for YOU though no one else, if you are doing it to please someone else you will keep falling off the wagon. Been there, done that.

Thanks for that, I think I just need to give myself a great big kick up the arse to be honest! I have weigh in tonight and I've vowed that tomorrow is going to be the start of my new body! I've already been able to feel the effects of just losing one stone so I think that thinking of how my body will change and how it will change my life is incentive enough and adding the treatment in aswell should be enough. X

It does help, feeling that you are losing it, i feel so much better now, but i still have 3 stone to lose, so hope i feel even better then and hopefully it will make my PCOS disappear.

Thanks Paul, that's great advice and I agree with every word of it!
I'm gonna speak to my consultant tonight so she can guilt trip me into doing it haha it works with other people!

I started sw at the very end of september and i got my 3 1/2 award recently, although i've really slowed down recently. I was over 18st when i started. I think it probably can be done but what the other people said is true you need the right motivation. I'm not for a minute suggesting having a baby isn't the right motivation - i really hope your successful, but my advice would be try and think about losing weight as something you want to do for you because otherwise i would imagine it will be hard to stick to. My doctor and mum both nagged me for years to lose weight, lower my blood pressure, reduce my cholesterol and if i'm honest i gave me a bad attitude - 'leave me alone, stop nagging, it not that easy, i know i'm fat but feel miserable so i'm going to eat this packet of crisps anyway and sod the lot of you!' i guess i'm saying whilst i had plenty of motivation to lose weight it was wanting it for myself that has made me stick to it. I really hope you do it, and personally i can't recommend sw enough as a good, healthy way to do it. Xx

My doctor and mum both nagged me for years to lose weight, lower my blood pressure, reduce my cholesterol and if i'm honest i gave me a bad attitude - 'leave me alone, stop nagging, it not that easy, i know i'm fat but feel miserable so i'm going to eat this packet of crisps anyway and sod the lot of you!'

Thats what I did for years. More people told me to lose weight the more I wouldn't cos thats what they wanted me to do. Suppose rebelling against them. You have to do it for YOU not for anyone else as I said, otherwise you just will not stick to it, you can't do it to please anyone else, if you do it for only you, there is only you that you are letting down when go off track.

Ally89 said:
Thats what I did for years. More people told me to lose weight the more I wouldn't cos thats what they wanted me to do. Suppose rebelling against them. You have to do it for YOU not for anyone else as I said, otherwise you just will not stick to it, you can't do it to please anyone else, if you do it for only you, there is only you that you are letting down when go off track.

Couldn't agree more. I didn't tell my family for months i was even trying to lose weight (i don't live very close) I really felt it needed to be my thing. Its actually almost harder now more people know because i feel more pressure to keep up the pace. Its not because they don't support me, or want me to do well, they absolutely want me to be happy, its just so personal, its harder to do if you worry what other people are thinking.

To be honest I've needed to lose weight since I was a small child, I've always been bigger than other people and it's gave me nothing but problems, mostly with my confidence, but one day in January I just woke up and thought I'm fed up with being unhappy and I'm the
Only one who can fix it! I'm lucky because I go to a lovely group with a good consultant so I'm gonna have a chat tonight at WI x I think to be honest My problem has been that I'm trying to lose weight for my partners and mine sake (baby wise) but I really should have started it for my own sake and really got my head around it all first! X

And don't forget you HAVE lost a stone! Thats really rather good so don't be down hearted! Someone in my group said they were taking the 'scenic journey' when their weight loss wasn't as good as others, i rather liked that idea! Good luck xx

It amazes me, I am a new member of the site and every thread I read there are posts that I could have written myself... Good luck with your journey. I have also been a slow loser, but the more I make losing weight about ME... the better my efforts, and my weight losses!

Hang in there, stick to plan and it will get easier :)

I've always done a food diary.. I'm verging on obsessive!

I stopped going to class 15 months ago & still keep a food diary! I have a notebook & jot it all down everyday.

Back