First SHAKE:(

lilscottishlady

HELP!! Just had first shake it was all lumpy and awful and i was nearly sick drinking it I had to force my self to drink it was awful!!!

I think i may have made it wrong could someone tell me how to do it correctly so it is not lumpy!!!!

Felt like I was drinking cake mix!

:cry: I don't want my 100 days to be like this :cry:

oh no!! you didn't have a raspberry one did you??

oh...you need a blender. Did no one tell you this??? it is an essential item of kit!! along with sweetners and baking paper!!

Don't panic, we all get them wrong at the begining. Do you have a hand blender? The way I do it is to use the base of the shaker, pour in about 10mls of cold water and stire to a paste (make sure you get all the dry bits from the bottom. Don't worry about the lumps at this stage. Then add the rest of you water (hot or cold) give it another stir to make sure no lumps are stuck to the bottom. Then get the hand blender in there. It might splatter a bit at first but you'll get the hang of it.
I'm sure some other more experienced shakers will be along in a bit with more advice.
Don't worry you won't be drinking lumps for 100 days :eat:

Yes it was raspberry and was awful think i might be swappin it on Thursday!!!!

So will I have to bring my hand blender to work??!?

Thanks for the help!!! I don't think I would of been able to carry on living off cake mix flavoured lumpy milk shakes!!

Do you have to use the blender for the soup???

I use it for Soups although they are a little less tempermental than the shakes. You can get battery operated blenders from the LLC. I need to get one because we are going camping next week and there will be no electricity.

Forgot to say after a few days you will be having bars too. they are much more portable and I don't take shakes into work with me any more.

Either a hand blender....or use a shaker, but shake it for a good few minutes....to get rid of the lumps.
Its trial and error until you find the way to suit you, I also add extra water to mine as I prefer them a bit more diluted.

Oh man!! when I was on LL, my first shake was raspberry....same reaction as you!! oh no!!!!! lol. Rasperry sucks. Promise you, choccie is much better and the caramel with a bit of coffee was yummy!! and the vanilla with st clements in it, or coffee......:D

I'd use a blender for them all....although as it's been said soups are a little easier. Might get away with making it into a paste with a spoon and adding more water gradually.

Don't panic Jodie!! :D

My first was vanilla and I hated it. Really like it now, though.

I have a good blender for home, and I bought a cheapy from Robert Dyas (and a tall plastic jug) that I keep in the office.

The best way I've found is to put the water in first, then the powder, and whizz.

Without a blender, I've made soups by adding a little hot water to the powder, and stirring, using the back of the spoon to mash it against the side of the mug. Gradually add more water.

I have one of the LL frother things, but they aren't especially good. Bought a proper cappucino whisky-frother, and that works better but a stick blender is the way to go.

Oh Your post bought back some memories!

Heres my tip for the shakes, dont have soups so couldnt advise you on those...

think the trick is to have the water really cold, and a blender... Tesco's do them for about £15.00 if you dont have one already...

1. half fill a pint glass with cold water, top up with ice cubes.. this may be a bit too watery for you so you may want to use less water and about 8 ice cubes..

2. Put into to blender and whizz it up for a minute or so... then stop the blender and add the pack to it.... ( if you add it while it's still going you're likely to get covered lol)

3. turn blender back on, for another minute or so... and then pour into te glass..

4. Drink with straw lol tastes so much nicer :D

thats it.. remember its all trial and area.. you'll soon get used to the taste, took me two weeks before I could manage one without retching!

Hope that helps, be sure and let us know how you get on..
love
geri
x

thanks for advice folk :D My next thing is the chicken soup to try so hopefully i won't retch at that then at 3pm im having another possibly lumpy shake but vanilla this time!!! argh!!!

Im debating to have a hot chocolate tonight, but defo going to change my raspberry shakes for bars on thursday!!! I think taking bars to work will be alot handier than shakes thigns for that tip!!!

P.s 5 pints down and never been to the loo so much in my life!!!!!

Been reading your advice! :sigh: I hate all the soups and the only shake I really enjoy is the raspberry..... think it'll be a long 13 weeks! I've just frozen a vanilla mixture in the freezer to see what that is like but it's not looking too good at the moment and it's been in for at least an hour and a half!
Tried making a chocolate muffin too.... what a disaster!:eek:

Hi All

I too had my first shake today and it was raspberry! eugh - I wretched so much i felt awful - so scared about the second one of the day! Very helpful to see all teh tips and its good to know i am not alone!!!!

I could not stomach the soups at the start, must of taken me about two months or even longer, now I like most of the soups and sweet flavoured shakes.

I think it is because when your overweight you tend to be malnourished and you end up being able to taste all the vitamins and minerals in the diet, but as the weeks pass the taste does fade and now I can not taste the vitamins and minerals at all.

If you drink a glass of water before drinking your LL meal it will be much easier as it dilutes the taste.

Love Mini xxx

Hey Jodie,

I don't mean to sound negative but I have never managed to get on with the shakes at all, I've tried everything and they have made me sick every time!
Saying that though, Lighterlife if amazing and it has changed my life :D

Buglet not nice is it....well i have vanilla sitting here for 3pm so that will be cuppa time for me so might make it nice and warm and batter the lumps out!!!!! :p I will be skinny and will not be defeated by a few lumps and a cake mix tasting shake!! eugh!

Roll on thursday when i can get the bars!!! :D

Exactly lilscottish lady - although i'd like to report that I have just had a chocolate shake and yum yum!!! Can't wait to be skinny!! See ya there :) I brought a hand blendar for £5 from Tescos for work and it seems to have worked a treat!

Back