Fizzy drinks

clairex

Silver Member
I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice, when im on a diet I drink a lot of sugar free fizzy drinks (pepsi max is my vice!) - will this affect my weight loss? I know its free but im worried it will slow everything down. Just wondering if anyone had any experience of this, thanks in advance!
xx

It all still adds to your 2L a day fluid intake and as long as you don't have a thing about artificial sweeteners you'll be fine, if it wasn't free they wouldn't tell us we could have it lol

"They" say that drinking lots of fizzy drinks can encourage a sweet tooth, but other than that I don't think there's an issue.

I love Diet Coke! Or Diet Evil as my friend calls it, mainly because what fizzy pop can generally do for out insides *rolls eyes*

I found that if I personally had a sweet tooth that sugar-free blackcurrent dilute is amazing! And helps with elevensies! :eek:)

All in all - happy drinking lots of fizzy pop, if it doesnt make you bloated and you can keep the dentist happy! lol x

ahh thank you all, you have put my mind at rest:) Not sure if the dentist would be so pleased but for now its keeping my sweet tooth away! xx

ahh thank you all, you have put my mind at rest:) Not sure if the dentist would be so pleased but for now its keeping my sweet tooth away! xx

I'm the same Claire, find the diet coke satisfies my sweet tooth :) just worry sometimes that i drink too much

If you can replace one or two glasses of the diet coke a day with water then you will be doing yourself a favour.

xxx

How about sugar free squash mixed with sparking water? I posted about this a while back, it makes drinking water so much more interesting!

i dont know whether this is a myth but ive been told in the past that drinking large quantities of diet pop is bad for you as your body can turn the sweeteners into sugar it may be as i say a myth though has anyone else heard it. I cant drink huge amounts as it makes me really bloated

A few years back I was totally addicted to diet coke, then I made the decision to stop drinking it and now I can't touch the stuff - it just tastes awful!

It is a pain when out and about though, because diet coke is often the only diet drink option unless you opt for tap water.

I read an article not so long ago on the Light Life board which basically said that fizzy pops make u retain water and fats. Also my old WW councilor often told us that she stopp drinking fizzy pop for a week and she lost 8lb. ( everything else was the same). It kick started her losses again.

My guess is it won't necessaraly do your weight loss any harm, but a big change in routine gives the body a shake up

based on this, I am now sticking to a max of 1 glass a day. However, due to lighter life I am now in the habit of drinking loads of water

I drink 2x 2litre bottles of diet coke a day. I know I shouldn't but.... I'm addicted! It's not affected my weight loss yet, but when my weight loss starts to slow down I may just have a water week to see if that boosts it. Headache tablets at the ready :( Whenever I've tried to quit it before, the withdrawal headaches are a nightmare

I drink 2x 2litre bottles of diet coke a day. I know I shouldn't but.... I'm addicted! It's not affected my weight loss yet, but when my weight loss starts to slow down I may just have a water week to see if that boosts it. Headache tablets at the ready :( Whenever I've tried to quit it before, the withdrawal headaches are a nightmare

I drink probably 3/4 cans a day. I know its rubbish stuff but I find it helps me control the food intake so in my case its aids weight loss. Its also the best option when out and about given that we have to point fruit juice. I cant see how it holds water though as its well know as a diuretic.:confused:

I had a conversation with a friend about this yesterday as I gave up DC a while back. I do want to stop drinking it but I will get the weight sorted first and then give up the DC. Like you, when I've stopped before, I've got horrible headaches for a few days.

i dont know whether this is a myth but ive been told in the past that drinking large quantities of diet pop is bad for you as your body can turn the sweeteners into sugar it may be as i say a myth though has anyone else heard it. I cant drink huge amounts as it makes me really bloated

Your body is an amazing machine, but it couldn't convert artificial sweetener into sugar - nothing could!

There is a theory that artificial sweeteners might affect the body by making it think it is going to get sugar when it isn't - but it isn't really clear how much difference this would make to weight loss, if any.

There is also the point of view which says that anything with artificial sweetener in it is not going to help you retrain your taste buds away from sweet things.

In addition, there are health concerns about some sweeteners and also about other ingredients in diet fizzy drinks.

My personal view is that in moderation they can be very helpful.

Back