Food diary...am I doing it right?

K_Lou

Hi everyone,
Panicky/debressed newbie here! I've been on the plan (online as I never manage to religiously make meetings) for 5 weeks now and have only lost 4 pounds:( (week 1 = 1lb, week 2 = 1lb, week 3 = 1lb, week 4 = 2lbs yay, week 5 = 1lb on, boo)
I know for sure I wasn't eating enough super free in the first week, so upped it and still didn't see major results. I am a serial dieter and have tried various plans in the past with some big successes (lost 5 stone) but unfortunately I'm a comfort eater and I ended up putting over half the weight back on! I started SW on the back of a low cal diet, so am used to healthy eating but this is the first diet I've done that I actually feel ok on and like I can actually stick to this properly, so I'm gutted to not be losing much!
I had my birthday last week so had lunch out (Caesar salad) and cake/chocolate, so I wasn't expecting to get away Scot free, but I tried so hard to be low syn for the remaining 3 days of the week. I'm a little OCD so I always weigh/measure my foods out, but I think I must be doing something wrong - any help would be gratefully received as I see so many people are doing brilliantly :)

Typical day:
Breakfast - pear, mullerlight and an alpen bar (sometimes no alpen and I'll use my hex b on weighed nuts instead)
Coffees usually make up my hex a due to the milk, and I have a tsp of sugar free vanilla syrup in them (2 or 3 coffees)
Lunch - either a chicken salad with 0.5 syn dressing, or a tuna pasta salad with quark instead of mayo, and 2 clementines (proper sweet tooth here)
Pm snack might be a couple of tbsps houmous and carrot sticks, or a packet of 4 syn crisps/5 syn popcorn
Dinner - SW lasagne/mousaka/chicken supreme with rice/jacket potato and beans with salad - one of those meals is a typical day, not all of them ;) I always have green beans, carrots and baby corn as a minimum veg wise then strawberries and an apple for pudding, sometimes a yoghurt too if I'm particularly snacky that evening!
I also have Diet Coke, or sometimes a Nescafé latte for 3.5 syns
I generally have around 8 syns a day, which is upped at the weekend to nearer 15 as I have a 'bread' day and a sweet day, all planned and counted though.

Can anyone give me any pointers? Feel like a total failure and I've got a night out with friends coming up, which I'm now dreading as I'm terrified of going 'off plan' again.

Thanks in advance for listening to my depressive rant!

Hi have looked through what you put I can not see anything you doing wrong is you sryup syns? An do you syn you houmous aswell or is it home made? Could try drinking more water as I see coffee a Coke some people do lose slowly but they say 1/2 lb weight loss a week is still good, maybe try eating a bigger breakfast but you menu looks fine to me good luck let
Me
Know how you get on an you could always try doing a few sp days in the week but hey chin up your still doing well it's taken me 3 months just to get rid of a stone xxxxxx

My losses are similar to yours, I have lost weight after both babies with SW and I always average 1lb per week. It's the same this time (after baby no 3), but I know it will all come off and 1lb per week is nearly 4stone in a year.

Try and vary your food a bit more if you can, and drink as much water as possible to flush the fat out.

You are doing great xx

Oh, and I meant to ask - what day do you weigh in? If it's a Monday then maybe change it as you are having a bread and sweet day over the weekend so possible bloat?xx

Same here, I loose weight very slowly 6lb in 4 weeeks. One thing I have noticed is people who exercise loose it faster. Maybe that it the next plan for myself. On a plus side the slower the weight loss the more likely you are to keep it off (so they say)

Me too:eek:I have had a very disappointing start and put on weight when I have no idea why:confused:

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your replies, it's great to be able to talk to others on the plan and just check things out...I'm a real worry-wort so to hear I'm not doing anything drastically wrong is great :)
The coffee syrup I have is sugar free and syn free, but I've tried to have less of it this week, and upped the amount of water I'm drinking. I'm also going out for walks in the evenings after work with my friend, but only managed 2 this week.
I weigh on a Saturday morning, which I'm utterly terrified about this week as I'm going out with the girls tonight for drinks and dancing, so Lord knows what I'll weigh tomorrow!
How many syns do you all tend to have in a day? I try to stay between 8-12 but wondered if I'm having too many? It's so hard as I know everyone's different, I follow a brilliant account on Instagram and the girl eats at least 15 syns a week and still has huge losses...I wish!

Hi K_Lou! well done on your loss so far! it's always better than a gain.
The only things that stand out in your food diary to me are Alpens, are you using Alpen lights? As regular Alpen bars are not a healthy extra B. The milk in your coffees, do you measure it and have the right amount everyday? Sometimes just guessing could be using a lot more than expected! And the houmous should be synned (usually around 2 syns per tablespoon) unless you are making your own syn free version?

Good luck! xxx

Hi Chewycats,
Thank you, it's so easy to get bogged down and not appreciate that a loss is a loss I guess, provided it doesn't all go back on tonight o_O
I do have the alpen light bars, love the fudge one and cherry bakewell ones, yum! I agree with you about the milk, so I've been trying out black coffee this week...not so nice but it does at least give the caffeine boost still! I do syn the houmous yep, I found one in co-op that's 1 syn per tbsp, lovely!
Xxx

Morning everyone,
So, I had a slightly bigger night than anticipated last night and ended up getting home at 3am...not feeling amazing right now, but I've weighed in and stayed the same weight. I am a bit gutted because I've been trying so hard this week, but I suppose last night will have affected things a little (I really hope so anyway!) as it was cocktails etc a-plenty!
I don't know whether to try and go for a low syn week...has anyone else done this with good results?
Xxx

The alcohol would have made a massive difference, I always retain water when I have a few drinks and it takes a couple of days for the bloat to drop off.
Instead of a low syn week just don't drink the night before weigh in!
I would start afresh, use your syns every day, but if you are going to have a little drink then have it on the Saturday night, not the Friday.
I weigh in on a Saturday, and I normally have a few g&t's on a Saturday evening xx

Back