food for shifts

VITFA

hey ladies, i start a 12wks placement tomoz (last one before i qualify as a nurse). It will be 12 and a half hours shifts. I tend to have breakfast before i leave then will have fruit and yogurt as a snack when evey1 else is having bfast. My problem is having variety and staying on track during long days. I know the key to it is planning so making a shopping list now, What type of things could i take for lunch and dinner to give variety.

So far got chicken cous cous salad and quiche????

Sorry its so long just really want to get to target as holiday inb 13wks xxx

I do mainly either 7am-4pm shifts or 2pm-11pm shifts.

If I'm on a red day, I find chopped up quorn sausages/morrisons eat smart sausages are nice, as is ham, cold cuts of beef or chicken in a salad. Homemade vegetable soup is also free aslong as it doesn't contain peas or potatos!

On a green day, I love Pasta 'n' Sauce by Batchelors which is free in some flavours, as are mugshots. Or sometimes I'll save my HexB as toast and have beans or spaghetti hoops on it.

Just a few ideas, hope they help :)

I cook pasta n sauce or savoury rice, chuck in some frozen onions, mushrooms, peppers and sometimes chicken pieces whilst its cooking and microwave to heat up at work. You could also make up free soup, or have jacket potato and beans.

Also take mullerlight/low fat yoghurt and loads of fruit.

lol - this may sound silly but how do you cook them in the mirco i only ever do it on the hob - do they take long thanksx
I empty the packet into a large bowl and add boiling water (enough to cover the pasta). I put it in the microwave for about 8/9 mins (but each microwave varies). Make sure you stir it a few times during though. I don't cover it cus when i did the sauce exploded lol x

Cook some jacket spuds then re-heat them in the micro...take a pot of beans (the snap pots) that are quick to micro and some grated cheese (hex a) - quick filling meal on a green day

plenty of veg sticks to snack on - some houmous can be a hex b as well if you like that - afternoon snack! or a hi-fi bar (hex b) 2 alpen lights (hex b)

Just this second tried Smash (having it for tea tonight!) and its actually yummy. Going to have that with Laughing Cow Extra light cheese mashed up in it. You could make it up the night before or just take the packet to work with you and make it there x

Protein will keep you full longer i.e. meats etc. and carbohydrates will slowly release energy so EE might be the way to go on this. Chicken Caesar pasta salad? Jacket potatoes?

Sorry I am no good at this! Good luck x

Ooo I didnt know some of the pastas were free, sorry to hijack the thread. What flavours are free?

mugshots are my alltime life saver on shift work-give the a try
laura x

Do you mean the batchellors pasta n sauces? If so, they are all free when made up with water, except;

Carbonara; 0.5
Cheese, Leek and Ham; 1.0
Macaroni; 1.0

Brilliant to know. Thank you so much!

Hi ya, at least you have access to a microwave so it's not so bad. Jackets and beans or pre cooked rice and chickpea dahl, pasta and quorn bolognaise etc. I would suggest doing a batch cooking session and putting them in the freezer. You just gotta reheat them then when needed at work. Good luck.xx

Back