Food for thought... pardon the pun... might be an interesting read!

Gen

Normal
Ok so guys I'm a full time lurker on here nowadays... hardly ever post but still love reading all the highs and lows.

One thing that I have noticed time and time again is people on SS who cannot stick to 100% SS beating themselves up.

So here is what I think, for what its worth, SS is amazing... the results are fantastic BUT if you are chasing the SS dragon and it is ur millionth,(sp) and slight exaggeration (well wasn't for me :rolleyes:) time starting SS'ing and just not being able to do it... can you still say that the results are AMAZING???

I look at, hope yis don't mind me using you as examples guys, but Starlight and NikkiH to name but 2 who are on a very successfull weight loss journey and it has taken them longer to get the pounds off but they are doing it and are living their lives in the meantime still having a social life and a life in general really.

I am not saying that either way is the correct way as everybody is different... but if you have tried a weight loss programme like SS over and over again to no real success is it not time to ask yourself what exactly is the hurry?? I know for me I had been trying to get on CD for 3 years after losing 4 stone and putting it all back on and more... i was just chasing the dream weight loss programme, which is totally is if ur head is in the right place, but when it isn't could you still call it that???

I now truly believe SS or any CD programme is not for me but that is after a long time working that one out.

In my opinion... its all in the head... if ur head is right you can do whatever you want!!!

How about you flick the switch and say 'ya know what I CAN do A, B or C' whether its WW/CD etc rather than saying its too hard/I can't do it... the brain is an amazing tool... it responds to what we tell it!!

I hope I haven't offended anyone this post was just a knee jerk reaction to the sadness I see over and over again on here because of weight issues.... its only weight after all doesn't define who we really are... does it???

This is only my opinion... respond if you wish but as I didn't want to offend anyone and truly hope I didn't there is no need for an argument about it... a debate yes indeedy :D:D but no arguments :eek::eek:

This is not about anyone on here except my own weight loss journey and its ups and downs!!

What a great post!

I have to admit Ive thought a lot of what youve said but dont always like to post it, not doing CD or LL its hard to say to someone whos struggling to think about coming off.

I do agree though, so many people have problems, with all kinds of diets, but sometimes you just have to accept that just maybe your first choice of diet, albeit the fastest etc, maybe just isnt right for you.

The main thing is the weight comes off AND stays off.

Im quite proud of how Ive done, and I think Nikki is a total star. I hope both of us are proof that WW etc are actually real options, no matter how much weight you have to lose :)

What a great post!

I have to admit Ive thought a lot of what youve said but dont always like to post it, not doing CD or LL its hard to say to someone whos struggling to think about coming off.

I do agree though, so many people have problems, with all kinds of diets, but sometimes you just have to accept that just maybe your first choice of diet, albeit the fastest etc, maybe just isnt right for you.

The main thing is the weight comes off AND stays off.

Im quite proud of how Ive done, and I think Nikki is a total star. I hope both of us are proof that WW etc are actually real options, no matter how much weight you have to lose :)

Thanks Sandy... I was quite proud of it meself lol

you have done amazingly well... I am in total awe of how well you have done with WW!!

Well done gal ur an inspiration

Gen xx

Just my two penneths worth....
I succesfully did CD from nov-feb and lost a total of 4 and a half stone. I still had half a stone to go so never quite got to my goal but i am still successful. CD is an amazing diet....it produced me some fabulous results and has chagned my life in many ways.
I had a little slip half a stone before i hit target, vowed to get back on the diet the very next day....i then had another slip and then another....never managing to get past the first 3 days of ssing. I then changed to 790 plan but kept cheating a having yet more little slips....these led to binges and then deprivation. I seriously messed about with my body and ultimately my head
I decided to take a couple of weeks out, took a holiday with the kids (gained half a stone). and thought seriously about my future with regards to my weight issues. I knew i could not keep jumping on the CD restarting band wagon and did not want to put myself through it physically nor emotionally.
Whilst on holiday i read an amazing book called 'Intuitive eating' and i can honestly say it has changed my complete thought proccess regarding food and dieting. I won't elaborate on the book as i am not trying to publicise anything but i will say that constant dieting throughout my life has made me lose sight of my body's own hunger signals and made me obbessive of food, weight and dieting.

I have a lot to thank CD for, it helped me lose my weight and regain my confidence. but i do think there is only one golden time, the first time when your head is in the right place. To keep restarting only led me to keep failing and beating myself up about it.
I won't be restarting CD anytime soon. I am now 11 stone (need to update my ticker) and would of course love to lose that extra stone and be at my ideal weight but if i don't then i can honestly say for the first time in my life...i really wont be that upset. I am now starting to look at myself in a more postive way and am likeing and accepting my image.

I think it's really sad when i see people restarting or never managing to get quite past that intitial first week and then beat themselves up in the proceess, calling themselves all sorts of names 'fat pig' 'useless' 'failure'...just think what we are doing to our innerselves by subjecting ourselves to this sort of critisism. I think we all get sucked in to some degree and compare our losses to other peoples losses then come down hard on ourselves when we are not doing quite as well.

Anyway, just thought i'd write down my thoughts. These are just my opinions and i hope i don't offend anyone

Last edited:
Horses for courses is a good ethos when it comes to weight loss. If there were ONE absolute and perfect method then everyone would do it and every other method would bite the dust.

Having done practically every diet known to man, I know what I like, what I don't like and what works for me. WW and SW weren't my bag ... too fiddly FOR ME although I think both of them are great plans and work wonderfully for others.

RC was my favourite 'ordinary' diet but alas, no classes anywhere near me.

CD worked brilliantly for me first time around and is a fabulous diet BUT ... it can be a total head f***. I jumped on the CD merry-go-round in 2006 and have been leaping off and on ever since. Having lost the weight initially at a stone per month, I can no longer accept the 1/2 or 1lb losses per week experienced on other diets. It's like going back to a Ford Fiesta after having driven a Porsche!
You only have to see the posts where people are in despair having lost 'only' 3lb that week to see where the mind set can be altered.

So it's a double edged sword really - I lose lots then gain lots ... one day I hope to stop the yo-yoing but until then, there's always CD - right?
I have a love/hate relationship with it but all the time I get little flashes of success, I'll continue to be seduced by the best/worst diet I've ever done.

What interesting stuff! I think Gen's understanding of the sadness that people cause themselves is lovely. I too read people's threads and hear the heartache in their posts and wish that they could feel better about themselves.

I think Starlight is an extraordinary example of what happens when you just keep going! She is living proof that actually it's not the plan, it's the person and their level of commitment.

Thats what i love about Minmins - we all come on her, doing or not doing (in my case!) all sorts of plans and we support each other.

There is no 'one size fits all' for weight loss and there never will be. I would like to see a lot more people being a bit less hard on themselves - appreciating that they are good people, with lots of challenges in their lives who just keep trying and trying. That would be a success in itself!

Love to all.

Ok RD - this is getting spooky!

LMAO!!

Back