Food ideas for a fussy eater...

laurenmay

Gold Member
I'm extremely fussy and childish when it comes to food.. I don't like spicy things, food with bits in like yogurts, most vegetables, prawns and other fishy looking creatures and most fruit too.

But there's only so much plain grilled chicken breast and plain steamed salmon you can eat before it gets so boring!

Does anybody have any low cal recipes or food ideas for someone as fussy as me?

- start weight 12.2 - goal weight 10.0

Im really fussy too but I'm trying to vary my diet this time so I don't get bored!
What kind of ideas do you want? For evening meals or lunches etc ? x

Umm both really, I wanna start eating more fruit and veg but just really can't bare it! Just so sick of chicken and salmon on their own all the time! x

I'm not that fussy so it's hard to know what you might like or might not like but how about putting vegetables/salad into tortilla wraps? They're about 200 calories each but you can get a lot of veg/salad into one (maybe with something else like egg or ham) and it's filling but maybe doesn't feel like you're eating quite so much veg.

What sort of meals would you eat if you weren't counting calories? That might help us to come up with lower calorie suggestions for you :)

Rigby said:
I'm not that fussy so it's hard to know what you might like or might not like but how about putting vegetables/salad into tortilla wraps? They're about 200 calories each but you can get a lot of veg/salad into one (maybe with something else like egg or ham) and it's filling but maybe doesn't feel like you're eating quite so much veg.

What sort of meals would you eat if you weren't counting calories? That might help us to come up with lower calorie suggestions for you :)

I really don't like salad or vegetables, I could probably force myself to eat a bit of salad if it's mixed with something I like such as chicken or ham.. The only vegetables I do like are carrots, potatoes and peas. I'm so fussy! And the food I'd eat if I wasn't dieting is pure crap so that's no good! Lol

You could make healthier versions though!
We're having a 'fry up' for tea tonight but everything will be grilled and the main thing on my plate will be scrambled eggs which is filling and low on calories,
What about pasta dishes? You could make chicken pasta, maybe using philli light to make a sauce with some garlic and onions etc, use spices or sauces on your chicken and do your potatoes different ways
What about pitta or tortilla pizzas you can put whatever toppings you like on
You could make your own burgers using low fat mince, Quorn or turkey mince, and meatballs too!
Or how about just getting a few ready meals from the healthy supermarket ranges or WW ones?

mrs-s said:
You could make healthier versions though!
We're having a 'fry up' for tea tonight but everything will be grilled and the main thing on my plate will be scrambled eggs which is filling and low on calories,
What about pasta dishes? You could make chicken pasta, maybe using philli light to make a sauce with some garlic and onions etc, use spices or sauces on your chicken and do your potatoes different ways
What about pitta or tortilla pizzas you can put whatever toppings you like on
You could make your own burgers using low fat mince, Quorn or turkey mince, and meatballs too!
Or how about just getting a few ready meals from the healthy supermarket ranges or WW ones?

I love the idea of a healthy fry up! And funnily enough was thinking about adding healthy living and low fat sausages, bacon and beans etc on my shopping list this week when the boys in work were talking about cooked breakfasts..

I like the idea of my own burgers too! I have quorn mince in the freezer, how would I make them? I'm not the best cook I must admit! And pasta dishes I'd love too.

I need to be more inventive with food! x

- start weight 12.4 - goal weight 10.0

I'll be having grilled sausages, scrambled eggs, beans, grilled tomatoes and toast, I'll make DH bacon, hash browns and fried bread too lol.

I'm not exactly sure how you do burgers, I imagine it's the same as meatballs but bigger, just put the mince, some onion garlic seasoning etc whatever you want, a bit of flour and an egg in a bowl, mix together and then divide into portions and shape!

If you have a quick google I bet you'll find loads of step by steps,

You could make your own lasagne or spagbol using your Quorn mince too, you could do chilli too and have with rice or a potato x

The only thing I don't like about the burger idea is that when you add flour and egg to make them, it then bulks the calories up and I'm only on a 1050-1200 calorie allowance as it is..

Definitely gonna do a grilled healthy fry up one day though!

I'm not sure about you, but I find it so difficult getting spare time to cool a meal from scratch with a full time job and the little one. It's almost impossible! x

laurenmay said:
The only thing I don't like about the burger idea is that when you add flour and egg to make them, it then bulks the calories up and I'm only on a 1050-1200 calorie allowance as it is..

Definitely gonna do a grilled healthy fry up one day though!

I'm not sure about you, but I find it so difficult getting spare time to cool a meal from scratch with a full time job and the little one. It's almost impossible! x

If you think 1 egg though would be between maybe 4 or 5 burgers (you could freeze what you don't use) the calories arnt really that much, have you looked at the meat free burgers etc? They must be lower calories than normal ones especially of you grill them!

I don't work I stay at home so I have more time but I never spend more than an hour preparing our evening meal even when its something that takes time like a pie etc, maybe you could do some batch cooking of healthy meals at the weekends and freeze for the week, or do the prep the night before so you can just cook up whatever when you get home? Slow cookers are a good idea too you can make all sorts of healthy things in there and its just chucking things in the pot before work and coming home to a cooked meal :)

mrs-s said:
If you think 1 egg though would be between maybe 4 or 5 burgers (you could freeze what you don't use) the calories arnt really that much, have you looked at the meat free burgers etc? They must be lower calories than normal ones especially of you grill them!

I don't work I stay at home so I have more time but I never spend more than an hour preparing our evening meal even when its something that takes time like a pie etc, maybe you could do some batch cooking of healthy meals at the weekends and freeze for the week, or do the prep the night before so you can just cook up whatever when you get home? Slow cookers are a good idea too you can make all sorts of healthy things in there and its just chucking things in the pot before work and coming home to a cooked meal :)

I've got a slow cooker in the cupboard, my mum bought it for me a year ago and it's never been used! Lol. I'm not sure how to use it if I'm honest, I've never been much of a cook so I wouldn't know what to put in there? I'm browsing the tesco site now to do our food shopping, gonna check out some of the quorn products to see how many calories are in the burgers.. Also put a few treat things in the basket, freddos, time outs etc :) all under 100 calorie treats but I'm limiting myself to only one a day, and only if I've had plenty of protein and the good stuff & have spare calories left! x

Before I go shopping I look online to try find a few ideas for what to have, search for slow cooker recipes you might find something you fancy x

mrs-s said:
Before I go shopping I look online to try find a few ideas for what to have, search for slow cooker recipes you might find something you fancy x

I will :) thanks x

Quorn products are really good. I don't eat meat but buy quite a lot of Quorn. Some of the options aren't always going to be the 'healthiest' in that they can't replace fruit/vegetables, but they might be better than the full-fat meat alternatives. Some of their readymeals are quite low calorie if you're looking for quick options - frozen lasagne is 314 calories, frozen cottage pie is about 250, etc. The burgers and sausages are quite good too.

When I make homemade burgers I use lean mince which I mulch up in my blender and add herbs and spices and make a burger patty. I rarely bother with egg or flour and they always stick fine and taste great.

Try marinating your fish and chicken to get different flavours. I just use different spices. I love jamaican jerk on chicken best.

I do fajitas a lot too with chicken and peppers

I like to parboil wedges potatoes, spray them with frylite and cook in the oven

I used to be mega mega fussy when I was fat (and I was fat as I was nearly 16 stone and only 5ft tall). Since I've lost weight my tastes have completely changed. I hated all fish apart from tinned tuna and now I love it all, I hated vegetables unless raw now I love most, I hated tomato based sauces so no pizza, lasagne, bolognaise etc and now I love those 3 things more than anything. Its not all good ha hs

Rigby said:
Quorn products are really good. I don't eat meat but buy quite a lot of Quorn. Some of the options aren't always going to be the 'healthiest' in that they can't replace fruit/vegetables, but they might be better than the full-fat meat alternatives. Some of their readymeals are quite low calorie if you're looking for quick options - frozen lasagne is 314 calories, frozen cottage pie is about 250, etc. The burgers and sausages are quite good too.

I ordered some quorn mince and burgers to have a try of :) their just so many calories less than the normal meat versions that I'd rather go for them! Just hope their nice now :) lol

goodthingsinsmallpackages said:
When I make homemade burgers I use lean mince which I mulch up in my blender and add herbs and spices and make a burger patty. I rarely bother with egg or flour and they always stick fine and taste great.

Try marinating your fish and chicken to get different flavours. I just use different spices. I love jamaican jerk on chicken best.

I do fajitas a lot too with chicken and peppers

I like to parboil wedges potatoes, spray them with frylite and cook in the oven

I used to be mega mega fussy when I was fat (and I was fat as I was nearly 16 stone and only 5ft tall). Since I've lost weight my tastes have completely changed. I hated all fish apart from tinned tuna and now I love it all, I hated vegetables unless raw now I love most, I hated tomato based sauces so no pizza, lasagne, bolognaise etc and now I love those 3 things more than anything. Its not all good ha hs

I'm definitely going to try the burgers in a blender idea, if they stick fine without the egg and flour then great! What herbs and spices would you advise? As I said I'm a complete novice cooking wise so need tips and advice! Lol

I'm fussy too, I'm really hoping that if anything that dieting will help me adapt to liking vegetables and the other healthy things that are good for you!

I put in whatever i have to hand lol, usually just mixed herbs & spices (in a little jar) and a bit of garlic

Oh and dont blend too long as you don't want a liquid lol

Quorn burgers are good, the frozen ones are about 100 calories each. Quorn sausages are about 70 calories each too so they're not bad either. Obviously if you have bread, cheese, etc. then that's where you add the calories in.

I ordered quorn burgers, and they weren't in stock so bloody tesco substituted them with quorn chicken style burgers, which don't look very appetising as I'm not a fan of meaty chicken burgers let alone these, and their 129 calories each and only small.. Think I may have to cook these for the OH and pretend their real chicken! Lol

Back