Food or shakes?

loopzyloo

Hi there, does anyone have advice on whether to go for food or shakes on down days? It is recommended in the book that meal replacements are used on down days in the first 2 weeks but on a cold rainy day I think soup would be the preferred option! Advice would be appreciated xxx

Hi there, does anyone have advice on whether to go for food or shakes on down days? It is recommended in the book that meal replacements are used on down days in the first 2 weeks but on a cold rainy day I think soup would be the preferred option! Advice would be appreciated xxx

Do whatever suits you best:D. Some people do start with shakes but honestly I think its harder than eating. I do have some slimfast shakes in my fridge for on the run emergencies on a down day but stick to two meals a day with homemade soup being a major factor in both, I find it the easiest way to get lots of veg and vitamins in on a DD.

If you're not a soup maker then there are plenty of low cal options in the shops.

Thanks so much for that! I'm sitting here at work on day one, about to go to the shops contemplating shakes or soup! It's currently chucking it down outside! I do love to make soup but have been a bit unorganised this weekend. I'm not as hungry as I expected. Actually a bit frightened to eat anything yet in case it starts me off. But I'm determined to give this my best shot. I have too :/

I must admit I do try and not eat for as long as possible, I've just had some soup now. For me it really is a case of once I eat then it makes me feel that hunger morefor the rest of the day. If you're not feeling too bad have a nice cup of tea and wait until tea time, that way you can have a normal healthy tea easily within 500 cals with maybe a small treat of fruit/cereal bar afterwards.

Good luck, just remember if you are hungry then think about what you can have for breakfast tomorrow! I am off work at the moment and spend a lot of my DD watching food network - crazy or what!

I have done food, shakes and complete fasts. Started on shakes because they're simple. Cals on the carton easy made no mistakes. But they are boring. Food was good but I found myself obsessing over counting. In the end I fast and allow myself cups of tea and find that I'm no hungrier than when I did have something.. Having a meagre amount of food just made me feel crap and like I was on a horrible old diet again whereas fasting totally almost feels therapeutic.

That's just one spin on it, everyone is different and copes better with one type of dd than another.. Just thought I'd share my experiences :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I've been doing my down days with shakes & slim fast bars but thats because I find them yum! Also as Han says, the calories are already worked out for you so no faffing about. I don't like soups & I feel like its "cheating" when having real food on down days, don't know why. xxx

And, for sake of variety, I did shakes for the first 2 weeks, but in this weather I'd happily do soups instead.

I save all my kcals for the evening meal on DDs as I too find that if I chew something I feel hungrier, but the fully fasted state feels OK. I drink coffee, redbush tea and miso soup (12kcals and strong tasting stuff) during the day and eat an almost normal meal in the evening. I designed 4 or 5 DD meals on mfp and stick with them!

Good luck finding the way that works for you :)

I often get some weight watchers meals in for my DD as i know exactly how many cals is in them and requires no effort at all

Back