food replacement manufacturers opportunists ?

paul786

I have just been having a look at some of the food replacement programs and personally I think the prices are shocking

it really makes me think these company's are just opportunists who are making a fortune out of our misfortunes

exante 50 x Porridge Oats £59.99

I eat Porridge almost every day its like £1.50 for a big box

I know these diets work for most people but for what you get its really expensive wouldn't you say?

Of course they're opportunists - all buisnesses are...

Personally I am willing to pay someone to do the hard work of working out my vitamins, calories and minerals so I don't have to think.

For me it's worth the money.

You can say that about anything though.

Look at the cost of 'regular food' HUGE mark ups. Same as eating out. An average starter costs what £6 in a restaurant, probably costs literally pennies to make. I dont think McDonalds etc, or Asda are selling stuff at cost price either

VLCD porridge isnt the same as regular porridge which is a big bog standard box of oats. VLCD porridge is carefully manufactured to have the nutrients etc needed. As for expensive? Not really - Exante is £25 a week thats hardly a lot for ALL your food requirements.

At the end of the day the VLCD companies are in it to make money - just like every other industry, dont see how its any different

I understand they they need to make money like any other business but really to me they seem to be way over priced

This is just my opinion

I understand that the packs have added vitamins but even so they are still pricey

Exante is only £25 a week yes BUT really its packets of freeze dried soup with vitamins in reality

Well I for one am more than happy to pay for the expertise and the knowledge I'm losing weight in safe and nutritionally complete way. I don't think £25 a week is a high price to pay at all.

Thankfully there are plenty other diets for you to chose from so you can avoid the Vlcds if you feel so strongly :). Course you could also say WW/SW are opportunists when they charge £5 a week for the use of their scales and a few sheets of paper

Best of luck which ever diet you choose

Well I for one am more than happy to pay for the expertise and the knowledge I'm losing weight in safe and nutritionally complete way. I don't think £25 a week is a high price to pay at all.

Thankfully there are plenty other diets for you to chose from so you can avoid the Vlcds if you feel so strongly :). Course you could also say WW/SW are opportunists when they charge £5 a week for the use of their scales and a few sheets of paper

Best of luck which ever diet you choose
I have to say starlight is spot on, back in the days I remember weight watcher classes being £3.50 for a class now it's gone up to £6 a class very expensive business.

It's all about making the 'money' isn't it really!!!!!!

I agree WW are just as bad if you follow the program totally it much cost a fortune on top of the price of the meetings ( I think my mum was paying 5 quid to get weighed basically)

Its not that I feel strongly about it hope I am not coming across as ranting... when I lose weight I don't use any of these programs so it don't effect me at all.... more than anything I think I was shocked by the mark up these diets must make from what I can see they must cost a few pence to make each packet.

Yeah - I do agree paul...

I like knowing exactly what I can eat. It's just so simple and even I can't mess it up. So I pay for it.
That's what buisness is about - finding something people want, working out how much they're willing to pay and doing it.
They know we will pay £££ so they do it.
Simple buisiness/economics really.

Completely agree Paul, they are a rip-off. Have to take into account though that with Exante and Lipotrim that is all you spend a week. Plus it takes all the thought and planning away and thats why i did it :)

It's not just packs of 'freeze dried soup'. It's not like a sachet of cup-a-soup, it's a carefully formulated, using doctors, nutritionists etc., meal that is perfectly balanced so that you lose weight and still have a good, balanced diet in terms of vitamins and minerals. It's not a rip off, at all. You could easily spend £25 a week on food to have a healthy, balanced diet. £25 is the average weekly spend per person on food, so if they've formulated a sachet meal that gives you everything that all that food has and you'll have big losses each week, how exactly is that a rip off?

I'm not a big fan of VLCDs but I don't think that they're a rip off, especially Exante as the cheapest option out there.

I don't feel ripped off. This past week exante has cost me £25. Bargain in my eyes. I also feel good knowing I'm getting all I need from my 3 packs a day. I'm pretty sure I've never had RDA 100% of anything :)

xxxx

I think what I'm getting at saying rip off is that on some of the vlcd's it costs £1.76 per shake. Now I can buy a bottle of vitamins for a lot cheaper that will also get me all my vitamins and minerals per day.
So what I think I am getting at then is one shake can't possibly cost so much to put together, no doubt the mark up is very high.
Now that is just my opinion and as I said before, I fully support these diets and it was worth every penny to me. I would quite happily spend it again to feel as I do now.
But I do think they are overpriced for what they actually contain.

Exante is extremely good value, def agree with that :)

Back