foods high in iron/recipe help

big bear

A bear on a mission!
I lost alot of blood when having Eryn & my iron levels were 7.6 if it was one point lower I would've needed a transfusion. I'm on iron tablets but I've got the migraine from hell & am seeing stars so guessing its my iron.

I've got spinach but what to do with it?

I don't like liver what else can I have.

I've also got mastitus & I'm on antibiotics. I'm seeing the dr tomorrow so maybe he'll up my iron. I've been really ill/unlucky after this baby & don't want to end up back in hospital so anything I can do to help I will.

make a sw quiche and add loads of spinach to it xxx

Thanks so much I never thought of that.

I feel like I'm going thru the wars at the mo with being sick, having email hacked, problems with son. I do hope it gets better/easier.

liver
lean red meats, including beef, pork, lamb
seafood, such as oysters, clams, tuna, salmon, and shrimp, etc.
beans, including kidney, lima, navy, black, pinto, soy beans, and lentils
iron fortified whole grains, including cereals, breads, rice, and pasta
greens, including collard greens, kale, mustard greens, spinach, and turnip greens
tofu
vegetables, including broccoli, swiss chard, asparagus, parsley, watercress, brussel sprouts

All are rich in iron :)

Any iron in raw spinach is more easily absorbed when combined with vitamin C - found here in fresh lemon juice, which also helps the absorption of iron in pine nuts.
Ingredients

3 tbsp (45 mL) light mayonnaise 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh lemon juice 2 tsp (10 mL) each Dijon mustard and anchovy paste 2 cloves garlic, minced 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each pepper, salt and Worcestershire sauce 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil 1/3 cup (75 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese 8 cups (2 L) baby spinach 4 slices bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled (optional) 1/2 cup (125 mL) toasted pine nuts
Preparation

Whisk together mayonnaise, with lemon juice, mustard, anchovy paste, garlic, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Gradually whisk in oil. Stir in cheese.
Taste for seasoning. In a large bowl, toss spinach with half the bacon and half the pine nuts.
Toss with enough dressing to coat spinach (any extra can be kept for several days, covered and refrigerated).
Sprinkle with remaining bacon and pine nuts.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Tip: To reduce saturated fat, replace bacon with 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped sundried tomatoes.

www.meatandhealth.comGoogle in Iron Rich recipes and you will find loads of help.

big hugs xxxx

DELICIOUS!!! Spinach Recipe

hiya :)
if you are using raw spinach this is the best recipe!!
Get a big bowl (and do this in layers so it doesnt get all mushed up!)

layer of spinach
Grated cheese (i prefer mature cheese)
Slices of avacado
Pieces of crispy bacon
Big drizzle of Honey & Mustard sauce

then do another layer (put in as much of each ingredient as you like). Dont toss it as it just gets too mushed up and a big old mess...:( if you layer it then its ready mixed and you can just eat a nicer looking salad. :p

I had this once in a restaurant and always wanted to go back - but thought why pay almost a tenner for it when I can make it just as easily at home!! Love this dish and you can generally eat quite a lot of spinach this way as a main meal.

Hope you enjoy it :D:D:D:D

Hmm the smiles availabe are more sad faces than smiles... just an observation :D LOL

this might sound rather random, but i was just watching an old episode of QI, and they said the "vegetable" with the most iron was thyme, and that if you ate a whole sprig (obv not recommended it would be very strong :p) it works out as 600% of your daily intake.... so i reckon if you have a little bit sprinkled on some roasted veg or something you wont be doing half bad ;) xx

Back