Forever Fat

Oinkstop

In a couple of other threads on the board, people have been talking about how thin people often make really unkind, unthinking, or just downright rude comments about our weight or dieting efforts. In my remarks on these posts, I've said that I think that most people do do not have weight problems do not and cannot understand what people who struggle with their weight go through.

I think the majority of naturally thin folks simply think that us chronic dieters are fat because we lack willpower or motivation. I think most of them believe if we didn't shovel so much food into our mouths, we wouldn't have a weight problem.

I've been thinking about these threads for the past couple of days, and I've come to realize that I am forever doomed to be a fat person.

Now that doesn't mean that I won't lose weight. I am losing weight now, and if I stick to the diet long enough, I will see my goal weight. However, even if I lose every pound I want to lose, I will still be a fat person on the inside. To everyone else, I'll appear slim, but in order to remain that way I will probably have to struggle for the rest of my life. I will always have to be careful about exercise and limiting what I eat. I will always have a fat person's metabolism, and I will always have a body that wants to lay on fat if I drop my guard even the tiniest bit.

I've heard the ubiquitous "they" say that inside every fat person is a thin person screaming to get out. Unfortunately, I think the real truth is that inside every thin person who used to be fat, is a fat person screaming to come back.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
what a fantastic post and so very truexxxx

Oinkstop!! Change your username! Ask Pierce if you can change it. You weren't a pig before, and so there is nothing piggish to stop. Okay????

Now...I'll be back on this thread in a mo, but meantime, do you have any objection to me quoting you on another thread. It's very relevant to what I'm yakking about over there.

Pretty please?

Oinkstop!! Change your username! Ask Pierce if you can change it. You weren't a pig before, and so there is nothing piggish to stop. Okay????

Now...I'll be back on this thread in a mo, but meantime, do you have any objection to me quoting you on another thread. It's very relevant to what I'm yakking about over there.

Pretty please?

By all means, you have my permission to quote me in another post.

As for my nickname, I like it and I do not want to change it. :)

I've been using this nick for at least a couple of years (I have a blog over on blogger that uses it as well) so I don't want to give it up!

I think the majority of naturally thin folks simply think that us chronic dieters are fat because we lack willpower or motivation.

Which we know is untrue. Most dieters I know have amazing willpower in many areas.

I think most of them believe if we didn't shovel so much food into our mouths, we wouldn't have a weight problem.

Well, that is partly true. They just don't understand why we eat more than we need.

However, even if I lose every pound I want to lose, I will still be a fat person on the inside.

Unfortunately, I think the real truth is that inside every thin person who used to be fat, is a fat person screaming to come back.

Umm. I say that sometimes. I'm a fat person in a thin body.

As time goes on, I do forget that quote and act just like a slim person ;)

I
will probably have to struggle for the rest of my life.

Nah. It wont take that long. You'll change habits. The majority of days you wont even think about it. You'll just eat what you know you need and get on with your life.

I will always have to be careful about exercise and limiting what I eat.

Hopefully you'll learn how much you need and wont consider it 'limiting', but rather 'enough'. You wont have to be careful about exercising as you'll chose an exercise you love and all you'll be worrying about is if there will be something that day that will prevent you from doing it.

Wow Oinkstop. Your original post gives us a lot to think about. Also might give those skinny know-it-alls something to think about too, if they took a moment to think about other peoples feelings.

In a couple of other threads on the board, people have been talking about how thin people often make really unkind, unthinking, or just downright rude comments about our weight or dieting efforts. In my remarks on these posts, I've said that I think that most people do do not have weight problems do not and cannot understand what people who struggle with their weight go through.

I think the majority of naturally thin folks simply think that us chronic dieters are fat because we lack willpower or motivation. I think most of them believe if we didn't shovel so much food into our mouths, we wouldn't have a weight problem.

I certainly agree that overeating is a far more complex issue than simply being greedy or having no self control. However - to use an example - I have encountered negative comments about CD from overweight people who are using conventional weight loss methods. Although they understand the issues I face regarding my weight and how miserable and desperate it can make one feel they cannot comprehend why I can't just follow calories/points/whatever.

I therefore think it's not so much a fat person/thin person thing, rather it's a case of people not understanding what they don't or can't relate to - which applies to anything not just weight related issues.

We probably just tend to encounter others' attitudes/comments more than, say, an alcoholic because (with exceptions of course) we visibly wear on our bodies what others perceive to be our relationship with food.

My mind has never been "naturally thin" but I've finally recognised that stamping my feet in disgust at the unfairness of it all, as I have been up until now, will not improve my health or make my weight problem go away (not implying for one second that anyone else has been doing this). For me personally to conquer my "inner" fat person, I just have to accept that what is...is, work with what I've got, and be really thankful that I am not naturally drawn to drinking or smoking aswell :eek:

Interesting thread :)

Last edited:
i feel the same way. i know that someday i will finally see myself slim, but it will take quite a lot of time. i constantly see myself as fat, even though i know that i'm not, i'm just so used to always being either fat or chubby, and it is hard to suddenly change my way of thinking. i have a very addictive personality, and if i start doing something, it's hard for me to stop- that is why i got fat in the first place (hey, if i'm gaining weight, i might as well do it properly:D), and that is why, even though i already lost a lot of weight, i still want to lose more. don't get me wrong, i don't want to be anorexic-looking, i'd just like to get to a BMI 20. I guess it might also be caused by the fact that i'm worried that i might gain weight after a while, so going down to BMI 20 would give me a bit of reserve if u know what i mean. it would mean that even if i gained a little, i would still have a healthy weight.
anyway, i agree with Oinkstop 100%.http://www.minimins.com/members/16920-oinkstop.html

Back