Fought leukemia, now time to fight the flab!

mand1980

Hello everyone, I got diagnosed with leukemia in June 2010 and although I was a bit overweight it wasn't a huge issue for me and I just on/off dieted to maintain a size 14 dress size.

I finished my treatment in April last year and have gained so much weight that I am now a size 18/20 and its really getting me down. I have a serious shopping habit but I cant find clothes to fit in all my favourite shops!

All I hear from family and friends is 'at least you are still here' and 'you shouldn't worry about something so small after what you've been through' and i'm getting no support in my quest to lose the weight. I thought i'd come here as everyone seems so supportive and have great ideas. I registered a few years back for recipe ideas so thought i'd make a reappearance. I've joined my local slimming world and am doing great so far-8.5lb in my first 2 weeks!:D Still a long way to go and am looking for that push along with like-minded people who also understand how being overweight can seriously affect how you feel.

I've been doing alot of cooking and found some great dishes so i'll have some recipes to share as well. Be nice to speak to any other cancer survivors so I know it isn't just me having body image issues!

Mand x

Awww your family and friends are just super happy that you won the battle - that's all that really matters to them - you are indeed still here!! They love you no matter what size you are, however, a bit of support wouldn't go amiss, so you'll have to get that from here for now :D

When they see the weigh start to fall off you, and see how much better you look and feel about yourself, I'm sure they will change their mantra! lol Oh and well done on your loss so far! That's a fantastic start! :clap:

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Lots of very supportive people here, with lots of yummy recipies, handy tips and advice. :)

Best wishes to you on your weight loss journey xxx

Thanks alot for your message of support. Still getting used to navigating around the site but getting the hang of it and have already picked up some little tips. Good luck on your weight loss too, looks like you've made a cracking start too x

Thanks alot for your message of support. Still getting used to navigating around the site but getting the hang of it and have already picked up some little tips. Good luck on your weight loss too, looks like you've made a cracking start too x

I always start off good, it's staying power I lack! I lose 4 stone and that's it! The wheels fall on my waggon. lol

Not this time though. :D

Join in some of the threads. There's lots of very supportive people about and we're all in the same boat :D

Same here,I always lose focus or start cheating by not counting syns properly. I did SW before I got ill just needed to lose a stone and I managed it but now i need to lose 4! I love a tipple and my fav is pints of cider so as you can imagine the beer belly soon returns! I am determined to get back to the weight I was but just setting myself small monthly targets for now.
Still pretty tired after the chemo and only just gone back to work so finding i'm exhausted and cannot excercise much. Just trying walking that little bit more and playing on the wii fit or just dance until i feel i'm ready to hit the gym.

Which part of the plan do you do? it was only red/green days last time i was a member and i'm not sure about this EE. seems too easy so ive been avoiding doing it in case it doesnt work. I dont eat any red meat so i do tend to end up eating all the same stuff on green days and get a bit bored.

Oh I love a tipple too! Booze is my downfall really. I could drink until the cows came home! lol

This is only my 3rd week of doing SW this time, and so far I've only done red or green. I'm having an EE day tomorrow though. EE is actually very good, and it works. As long as you remember to have 1/3 of your plate filled with SF foods at each meal, it works really, really well. The only reason I don't do EE on a regular basis is that I enjoy having 2 x Hex b, and you can only have one on EE. I did EE for a full week once though and lost 5lb. I was surprised because I was totally convinced that there was no way it could possibly work. I does!

I tended to eat the same things last time I did it, but this time I'm approaching it differently - I'm putting more effort into making different recipies, cooking more and definitely planning my meal the previous day. I sometimes cook infront too, to save time when I get home from work. I've made some gorgeous meals using recipies from other members on here. I'm determined this way of eating is going to become my way of life forever. Gawd, listen to me, I sound like a 7th day avangelist! LOLOLO

For me though, planning, trying new things and having variety is key.

Monthy targets are good. That's what I'm doing too - taking it half a stone at a time. It seems more achiveable that way doesn't it? Less overwhelming :)

I absolutely HATE exercise.....with a passion! lol I know I need to change this and actually do something. The only exercise I get is up and down stairs at work countless times a day, throwing myself round the house cleaning and walking my dogs for 2 hours every day! lol

Suppose I'd better shut up now eh? :giggle:

Haha, glad i'm not the only one who's missing the booze.

Yeah me too with the cooking thing. so far i've made the SW chicken dopiaza and vege bajjis which was really good, sweet and sour sticky chicken noodles was ok, and the sticky chicken in this months magazine which is absolutely gorgeous and the sauce took just 2 mins. Will defo be doing that one again. Cant you tell i like my take aways!
I'm aiming for the half stone every month as well although a few extra lb's would be nice. If i'm really good i tend to lose 2-3 a week.

I'm sure 2 hours a day walking the dog (lucky dog) is great excercise for you. I'm sure that must be the body magic they want us to do. For now mine will have to be the prancing around the front room with a wii remote in my hand still i'm feeling more energetic. I'm a nurse so hoping that the busy days on the ward will help too!

Do you go to group or are you going it alone? I find if i dont go to group i dont do as well. My consultant is fab and we consistantly get biggest losers in the bolton/bury areas. She has us all bringing stuff in to taste. last week it was pea and mint soup and malteaser ice cream which were both very yum and i will defo make at some point.

Now i guess i better shut up!

Please help, i'm really struggling to lose weight even tho i feel i am sticking to the plan well. Can you eat too little? I've been ill with a cold and cough so not had a great appetite and been skipping breakfast or lying in till dinnertime then just having a small snack followed by a proper tea.

Don't worry.. Losing weight doesn't happen over night and if you're not feeling well and don't feel like eating then don't.. The main thing is to get better so you can concentrate on your weight loss.

If you are worried then making some soup with lots of super free foods in it so a least youre eating something nice and healthy and it'll help your cold too hopefully.

Xx

I'm so glad you posted! I couldn't find the thread and have been worrying you thought I was ignoring you! I'm always getting lost on here! lol

Like Rozie said, concentrate on getting better first :) Eat when you feel like it and if you don't feel like it then don't. Normal eating will resume once you're feeling better :)

Making some soup is an excellent idea though. I'd go with that idea if you can face it :)

I hope you feel better soon x

Haha, glad i'm not the only one who's missing the booze.

It's the thing I miss most Mandy. (that is your name isn't it? lol) I HATE having to count drinks, it kinda takes the pleasure out of them. lol

Yeah me too with the cooking thing. so far i've made the SW chicken dopiaza and vege bajjis which was really good, sweet and sour sticky chicken noodles was ok, and the sticky chicken in this months magazine which is absolutely gorgeous and the sauce took just 2 mins. Will defo be doing that one again. Cant you tell i like my take aways!

:drool: That all sounds abolutely yummy! I haven't got the magazine yet, but will get it this week :D Sticky chicken sounds particularly appealing! lol

I adore food! :8855:

I'm aiming for the half stone every month as well although a few extra lb's would be nice. If i'm really good i tend to lose 2-3 a week.

I'm also aiming for half a stone a month, but like you, would be grateful for a few extra pounds here and there :D not that I'm greedy or anything! lol

How much are you wanting to lose?

I'm sure 2 hours a day walking the dog (lucky dog) is great excercise for you. I'm sure that must be the body magic they want us to do.

Walking the dog is better than nothing I suppose, but I feel I should be working on other parts of my body as my legs aren't fat! lol Infact, my legs look like they belong to someone else! :giggle:

For now mine will have to be the prancing around the front room with a wii remote in my hand still i'm feeling more energetic.

Prancing round the room with a wii remote is good! I do that too when I have some spare time. I love the wii :D

I'm a nurse so hoping that the busy days on the ward will help too!

I'm sure it will! I'm sure Nurses must walk 10 miles a day! lol

Do you go to group or are you going it alone? I find if i dont go to group i dont do as well. My consultant is fab and we consistantly get biggest losers in the bolton/bury areas. She has us all bringing stuff in to taste. last week it was pea and mint soup and malteaser ice cream which were both very yum and i will defo make at some point.

Well Im going to group atm. It was on a Thursday evening, but for some reason it's now changed to Wednesday evening. However, I won't be able to go soon because she's changing it to an afternoon session and I'll be at work! :( So in a couple of weeks time I shall be going it alone from home. I'm planning on having this forum as my 'group' for support and stuff. I'm a bit worried about it tbh - in the past I've felt the need to go to group as it keeps me accountable if you know what i mean?

Now i guess i better shut up!

Why? :giggle:

Right, now I've found your thread again, I've made sure I won't be losing it again! lol

Hope you are getting over your cold. Family & Friends mean well, but don't understand that you are ready to get on with your life and keep some of those promises you probably made to yourself .
Well done on getting started so soon after your treatment. So easy to say ok I will give myself a rest and start later.

We all want to be the best we can. And we will be given the chance.
I love your pharse about singing.I will try to remember that.
Mine is smile (even when you don't feel like it)it confuses the **** out of people.

I am a very slow loser who is now aiming to stick to this 100% for a few weeks to see if it makes any difference. Finding it hard but after reading your post it has jogged my memory a bit. Thanks. Keep well and live your life to the full.

Good Luck

Back