Free chips

Cypherkitty

Hi guys I have made free chips a couple of times, they taste gorgeous but they look anaemic even though they are perfectly cooked they are sorta crispy but not all over like they should be

Is there something I can do to make them look more golden brown and chippy.

Thanks

Lu xx

That always happens to me I literally cook them for like a hour and they just go a slightly brown colour . Hey they taste great so what the hell :p x

I made them yesterday. They were anaemic for ages and then when I next looked they were very very well done. I think it's just about timing.

I mix some salt, pepper (and sometimes a little garlic powder or chilli, depending on what having them with) into a few tablespoons of smash (well, the Asda Basics version usually). When you cut the potatoes up they're still a little damp, so when you roll them in the smash and spice mix they get a fine dry coating. I then place them on a tray (mine's a non-stick one from Asda with little holes in it) put the chips (or wedges on) and spray again with frylight. I pop those in quite a hot oven, and turn once when cooking after about 20 mins then pop them back in until they're lovely an golden and crunchy.

I don't bother par-boiling mine, and I find that helps towards them going extra crispy. I cut my potatoes into wedges, leaving the skins on. I pop them in a bowl and spray with plenty of Fry Light (the BBQ flavour makes particularly nice chips), and sprinkle generously with Aromat (an all purpose seasoning which has a taste similar to that of curly fries). Pop on a baking tray and in the oven on 220 for about 20-30 minutes. The aromat gives the chips such a gorgeous flavour and makes them extra crispy, whilst still being lovely and fluffy on the inside! I love SW chips :)

I always use the baby new potatoes for my chips.............leave the skin on, cut to shape, boil for 5 minutes, steam dry, place on tray, spray with Frylight & seasoning & cook in a hot fan oven for 30 mins.......gorgeous brown chippies!

I cut my potatoes into chips and par-boil for 3-4 mins. Drain and dry them, sprinkle with salt, put on a tray sprayed with fry light, put a bit more salt and fry light on and put them in hot oven gas mark 6. Mine are always nice and browned :) Yum, doing them tonight actually! x

I dont boil mine either, just cut them up whack them in the oven (really hot) with fry light and aromat. They are also nice when cooked to almost done, transferred to a casserole type dish seasoned and then put back in the oven for 3 - 5 mins with a couple of eggs cracked over them.

Top tip guys.... Cut the potatoes up. And put them in the microwave for ten minutes then put them in the oven. So much easier and they actually look like and taste nice. :)

I agree with Princess Stevie - it's so much quicker, easier, and more effective, to just cut the raw potatoes into chips/wedges, frylight, and stick them in the oven. Mine always turn out perfect and never take any longer than half an hour.

Back