Free recipes WITHOUT tomatoes??

Uphillstruggle

Hi all,

After scanning the past three issues of the magazine and the recipes on the member site, I am at a loss to find many recipes for casseroles/sauces/one-pot which DON'T have tinned tomatoes in and are free or very low syns (I save my syns for treats!).

After 5 weeks on plan my OH said to me last night he was getting a bit bored of tomato based food!! I have to admit I am too! We have mainly had stir frys, spanish chicken type casseroles, tomato based sausage casseroles, bolognaise based stuff (cottage pie, shepherds pie, chilli etc - all made with quorn) and tomato based currys.

Does anyone know any recipes which are non tomatoey?? I know it's a bizarre request but as an example we went through 12 cartons last week! OH joked he was turning red!

I like to cook one-pot type stuff as I am a working mum and it's easier...

Any advice?? xx

I made Slo Slo Chicken this week:

2 sticks celery chopped
2 carrots chopped
1 onion chopped
Chicken breasts or skinned drummsticks
400 ml stock made with chicken bovril or cubes
1/2 teaspoon tarragon

Microwave the vegetables for 3-4 minutes place them in slow cooker with everything else and cook for about 8 hours. OR cook in normal oven 180C/Gas 4 for 1 to 1 and a half hours.

Go and browse in the recipe forum - i had a look and there are 6 recipes on the first page alone that do not use tomatoes and there are 103 pages so you should find lots of inspiration :D

Also try non-SW recipe books and sites like bbcgoodfood as a lot of "normal" recipes can be made SW friendly

If you get bored you will be more likely to fall off the wagon so making an effort to introduce more variety to your diet will really pay benefits :)

Hi Uphillstruggle,

I felt like that too when I started, having never done SW before. However I have now discovered total 0% and very low fat fromage frais. I missed the creamy sauces but now I don't ! I learnt the hard way that it curdles if you heat it but if you make the base with a gravy type liquid (stock cubes, water +/- a little bit of cornflour (synned) if you need it) and then add the yoghurt or v low fat fromage frais, it is lovely and creamy and not a tomato in sight ! I also freeze stuff (without the yoghurt) and then add it in when the food is hot again.

Good luck and go eat !

Gail x

If you don't mind using your HExA you can do a nice cheesy sauce using melted laughing cow with a splash of milk to thin. I like to do this to go with pasta, even nicer if you're doing EE and can add some chopped ham/bacon, mushrooms, onions. Mmmmmmmmm!

Might have to do this for dinner tonight now. Lol

Ooooh. Good idea Wicca. Thanks !

gl12282 said:
Ooooh. Good idea Wicca. Thanks !

No probs. It's one of my favourite fast meals when I come in from work. Lovely with a side of steamed broccoli.

Have to stop I'm making myself hungry now.

I am a massive fan of reduced fat creme fraiche, which makes lovely sauces. 1.5 syns per level tablespoon, so would probably use two per person, but well worth it.

splash of stock, garlic, onions, mustard, creme fraiche and fresh chopped herbs warmed through and you've got yourself a gorgeous sauce for chicken.

Garlic, sliced mushrooms and chopped bacon, and you've a lovely pasta sauce.

It's a saying in our house that if you have creme fraiche you've got a sauce!

Back