Freezing cheese?

tarka

How many of you freeze cheese (in particularly cheddar)? I don't get through a block that quickly and thought it might be easier to grate it all up and freeze ready weighed portions so that the last 1/4 of the block doesn't end up going mouldy before I get to use it.
I just wanted to check that it doesn't loose any flavour or go watery or something before I do a trial freeze!

Hi there
I always freeze cheese -it tends to get a little stronger if anything and sometimes becomes a little more crumbly...but its fine...

I freeze it as well but would not grate it. I cut it into use-able sized blocks.

I normally buy grated cheese and tent to split it up in bags to freeze it as I don't eat it often and don't want to waste it in the fridge getting mouldy. Never had any problems after getting it out the freeze, tastes the same to me with the added benefit of it lasting longer.

I always buy the larger blocks of cheese as they always seem to be better value or on offer. then cut into slices keep out what I require and freeze the rest and just take it out of the freezer when I need it. Doesnt take 5mins to defrost either that way and doesnt crumble as bad as trying to cut it of the block

Could cream cheeses like phylli & quark be frozen anyone done this yet.

this might be a silly question, but here goes... :eek: if you froze something grated like cheddar could you just put it on something (toast, jacket potato etc) and put it under the grill straight away? or would it need defrosting? xx

you should be able to take frozen grated cheddar straight out and under the grill without any problems - i would.
I would also freeze parmesan all the time because it's easier to grate when frozen and I definitely wouldn't use it all fast enough

I also fill an old plastic bottle with milk and freeze in case of emergencies!

I would also freeze parmesan all the time because it's easier to grate when frozen and I definitely wouldn't use it all fast enough
Great Idea!

I'm sick of the bloody (expensive) parmesan going off in my crap fridge because my children don't get the concept of making sure it is properly closed! :mad:

Rep given accordingly!

Great Idea!

I'm sick of the bloody (expensive) parmesan going off in my crap fridge because my children don't get the concept of making sure it is properly closed! :mad:

Rep given accordingly!

cheers, i only realised it fairly recently myself and as its expensive i dont like to waste it x

I froze some catherdral city lighter, it was ok but... do not try and grate it as the block just crumbles in your hand x

Back