Freezing Tetra?

Betty

Afternoon guys
I'm goin to try freezing my tetra for a little ice-cream today.
My CDC said 1 of her other ladies does it.
Has any1 else tried this an how long wud u recommend? x

I'd be interested in knowing the times to! xx

Hmmmm well if no one knows the time it surely can't hurt just sticking one in the freezer for a couple of hours - unflap the flaps on the carton though so it has room to expand :)

Two ways of doing it. :)

Throw it into the freezer and forget about it. Makes for a rock solid block that takes you agggeees to eat when you remember you put a tetra in the freezer.

Or... :D (and I prefer this option)

Put it into the freezer for 3 hours. Usually a nice squidgey ice cream texture by then.

its the only way l have tetras , l stick all my tetras in freezer as soon as l get them and take them out half an hour before l have one nom nom

I had my first "ice cream" Last night! It was yummmmmmm x

someone should boringly point out at this stage that freezing your packs will destroy some of their nutritional value, and should really only be done with a fourth daily pack or as a really occasional treat.

same goes for cooking any of them (except the porridge, which has been designed for it).

a VLCD is healthy, but it's right at the very edge of what is healthy, and partly that's because although your body is coping with all kinds of extreme stuff, it's getting all the nutrients it needs. in normal circumstances your body copes without all those nutrients... but then it's also getting plenty of calories and carbs.

someone should boringly point out at this stage that freezing your packs will destroy some of their nutritional value, and should really only be done with a fourth daily pack or as a really occasional treat.

same goes for cooking any of them (except the porridge, which has been designed for it).

a VLCD is healthy, but it's right at the very edge of what is healthy, and partly that's because although your body is coping with all kinds of extreme stuff, it's getting all the nutrients it needs. in normal circumstances your body copes without all those nutrients... but then it's also getting plenty of calories and carbs.

Not saying you aren't right to put this here, cos that's what Cambridge Head Office have said about freezing tetras. And for all I know, they've done extensive testing.

But for the life of me, I cannot work out why on earth freezing a tetra would destroy its nutrients. :confused:

So I occasionally have a frozen tetra, at my own risk. ;)

who knows, just being 'teacher'.

i did freeze a banana tetra once. really didn't like it - seemed to make the flavour horrible, like the congealed bits stuck to the wrapper of an elderly mini milk you find at the back of the freezer.

LOL, do the teacher thing. :) You can probably tell I used to be a teacher too. There are a lot of us around, aren't there? What does that tell you about the job, I wonder? ;)

I've been searching the forum to see exactly when it became a no-no :nono: to freeze tetras - and I've tracked it down to a post in February 2010 when ScottishSlimmer, a Cambridge Consultant, wrote that Cambridge had indeed done some testing that showed freezing tetras damaged nutrients. But I've never seen it written anywhere else.

There is something about freezing that denatures proteins (breaks down the chemical bonds so the structures aren't the same) so that probably explains the change in consistency (and taste - lots of people say chocolate tetras taste better frozen). My experience of banana tetras frozen sounds similar to yours.

ahh - i don't like chocolate flavoured stuff, so i've never bought any of the chocolate CD packs.

I've just had a chocolate one and it was lovely! It was frozen solid so I popped it into microwave for a bit. My consultant also said not to do it too often as well.

Would recommend!

Airlie x

ps - Im a newbie to Cambridge so hello!!!!

Hi Airliebird! :wavey:

Welcome to the madness! :D

I've just had a chocolate one and it was lovely! It was frozen solid so I popped it into microwave for a bit.

Hehe, i had to do this to! x

If any one wants to freeze or cook a pack then I'd buy an extra couple a week to do this as an occasional treat.

LOL, well, for the sake of completeness, I guess I should point out that Head Office recommend that you don't microwave products because it can damage the nutrients...

But I'm pretty sure you'll be okay, just this once. :)

I CAN'T WAIT TO DO THIS!!!! But only on Day 3 so I'll wait :)

Tetras are my fave so far (followed by mixing a chocolate shake with ice cubes - yum)

SO bizzarre though because I don't really like shakes - but could easily have had another today! x

This is the nicest thing. I just had one. Delicious. Had Choc. Can't wait to have banana mmmmmm

Back