Fresh Start - Wednesday 28/11/2012

flamenco

Hi all,

I've ordered my meal packs, expecting delivery on 27.11.2012, and starting on 28.11.2012 I have ordered at least a minimum of 2 of everything. This way not only can I try all and see what I like for future orders, but potentially help anyone not sure on what to order who may not be as experimental. I'm planning on recording feelings/hunger/side affects on a weekly basis, and also reviewing the products.

I'm going to give you a little background about me.

I wouldn't say I have always been obese, but for more years than not I haven't been as healthy as I would care to be. I remember days of being a size 10-12 and even a 14-16 I had a lot more energy and although I was curvy I had a lot more confidence than where I am at my current point in life.

We can all find excuses as to why we cant start a diet, or find the time for exercise, I know because I have done it myself. It's too dark to go for a walk, it's too cold to go out, too tired to do anything after work, it's nearly Christmas and there's going to be so much food/parties to go to - bad timing probably, but who says all diets and fitness regimes have to start on January 1st or a Monday...?

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2006 and it has been a battle with some of the symptoms. The excessive male pattern hair growth (coz that's super sexy). The periods - seriously WTH is up with them, it ranges from nothing for 6months and then non-stop for 3 months! No wonder I'm anemic! Fertility issues currently being looked into, been advised by my GP to take Vitamin D & Folic Acid to help for time being. The increased level of androgen buzzing around my body - now this is where I see the vicious circle starts and to put it in the easiest of terms it goes something like this: Increase in Androgen => Too much Testosterone => Body produces Insulin => Weight Gain => Increase in Androgen.... anyone else see a pattern? It's really frustrating!

OK... so people with PCOS can see an improvement in their symptoms if they lose between 7-10% of their body weight, however losing the weight doesn't tackle the hormone issue. I've had countless tears over the whole thing, even to the point of thinking just take my womb out that'll make it better right? Nope... once you have the Syndrome it stays with you! Awesome!

I've tried loads of diets over the years, Weight Watchers, Slimming World, Cabbage Soup, Atkins, Smoothie, Special K to name a few, and although the weight loss does start well I bit the plateau really quickly decrease the food intake, increase the exercise but nothing budges so I give up hope. So just because one diet works for one person doesn't mean it will work for another, and I guess I have been lucky that I have been able to try a variety of different diets and I know what works for me.

The style of diet which works for me is the VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet) and TFR (Total Food Replacement) as scary as it sounds, it's not as extreme as going under the knife.

My first experience with a TFR diet was back in 2009. My wedding day was getting closer, and I had picked out my dress, a size 24. Now at the time I was in between a 20-22 but this wedding dress was a 24, clearly different sizes different shops I guess. This wasn't what kicked me up the bum though. 3 weeks before my wedding my dress was ready to be tried on and altered, 21 days before the big day - not long is it? I was so excited so I strip down to my smalls and on goes the dress, my word this lady is lacing this thing up and I'm thinking if she pulls any harder I'm going to whinney! I dont think she was far from butting her knee in my back. I had put on so much weight my dress didn't fit -21 days people... 21 ****ing days! What the hell was I going to do.

I had seen something about a diet called W8, and parted with with around £60 for 1 week of food. Well some tasted nice, some didn't I thought the price was a bit steep however first week went well, and I'd just like to point out that I wasn't interested in dropping pounds so didn't step on the scales once, my goal was inch loss - fast! The back of my wedding dress had looked like tram lines - so broad I was so angry with myself as I had no one else to blame. I continued with the W8 diet for a further 2 weeks and 5 days before my wedding went for a final fitting - this time the dress slipped on and tightened into a V with ease - thrilled!! I continued with the diet including on my wedding day and my dress was too big. I didn't care - it was the dress that was too big not me!

I had a bit of yo-yoing going on, tried further TFR diets - Lipotrim, then Exante - Lipotrim being the cheapest however if you've tried it you'd know why it's so cheap. Regardless the Exante diet had the nice balance of affordability and taste, however the bars were just short of cardboard and hamster mix.

It was back to a bit of yo-yoing and then I went through divorce in 2011 and just thought to myself come on lass you know you can lose weight if you really tried you've done it before.

So I've covered motivation right there with the wedding dress. After the wedding I had some pressure in my home life and work life, my Achilles tendon ruptured and I began to get depressed. Not having the same spark and confidence of my younger days. It's stayed like that for around 3 years. As one of the fertility tests my GP wanted to rule out early menopause, and requested a blood test. That was 3 weeks ago and on Wednesday 21.11.2012 I went to get my results. So a little celebration that I'm not in the early stages of menopause, however I have been told that I am borderline for diabetes and if I want to avoid developing diabetes I'm going to have to do something now. I'm nearly 30, I'm a divorcee I have PCOS I do not want to be a diabetic too.

So I placed my order with Slim & Save on Saturday, I have never been more determined and focused as I am now. I am adamant that crisis will be avoided and a new lease of life will be created, with a more confident and brighter outlook on life given.

I look forward to the weekly update/food review, will update after day 1 and if any of you out there wish to join me then I look forward to seeing you then :)

Good luck and take care,
Flamenco xx

Back