From Caterpillar to Butterfly

Oh my gosh I am ill!

Really got the worst cold ever & usually I would use that as an excuse to eat.

Had my shake this morning & black coffee.

Went out cos had no bread in for hubby when he gets home & I swear the temptation when you are out to just eat stuff thats not good for you is almost too much.

I will admit to nearly caving a couple of times but so happy I made it home without cheating.

Phewwwwww xxx

Oh my gosh I am ill!

Really got the worst cold ever & usually I would use that as an excuse to eat.

Had my shake this morning & black coffee.

Went out cos had no bread in for hubby when he gets home & I swear the temptation when you are out to just eat stuff thats not good for you is almost too much.

I will admit to nearly caving a couple of times but so happy I made it home without cheating.

Phewwwwww xxx

awww no! Well done for not cheating though! Being ill, and it being cold, is the worst combination when you're trying to lose weight, because it's so easy to grab something comforting. proud of you! well done

x Kayla x

Day 18: Vegan Does Slimming World

Thursday 14th November

An uneventful day today. My parents have gone to Weymouth for the weekend with the furbaby again, who was getting very excited as she now understands the words 'Seaside' and 'Weymouth'. I personally think it's more because she knows she gets my dad 24\7 for a few days, as he doesn't leave her to go to work.

I wore my new coat out for the first time, as it's got a bit more crisp. It's a winter white and a size 22, to allow layering. I may take pictures tomorrow, maybe. Can't say I wasn't dissapointed having to go that large to be able to layer, but I'd had my eye on it for a while, it was £20 off in a flash sale and I had a £5 voucher so it was a must! As it's getting colder I can't afford to wait to lose a few pounds just so I can get a smaller size. It is shaped well, and slims me down nicely, or so my mother says.

Food Diary
Brunch - 2 slices of wholemeal toast, from a 400g loaf (HEB), 1tbs pure soy spread (4syns). This was of course used on the toast, I didn't just eat a tbs of spread.

Dinner - 2 LM origional sausages (4syns), baked beans (F), 2 slices of wholemeal toast, from a 400g loaf (HEB)

Others: Banana (SF) Clemtines x 3 (SF) Americano (F)
HEA: (1) 250mL sweetened soy milk
Total HEB: 2
Total HEA:
Total Syns:

I am trying to fit into my winter coat from last year! I cant afford to but another one so until then its 2 or 3 tops & a cardigan!

Oh I am proud of me too! Need to go out tomorrow again for milk! Really should have checked it out & bought it today.

Dxxx

Subscribing because I'm looking for veggie ideas and im at uni too :)

Thursday 14th November

An uneventful day today. My parents have gone to Weymouth for the weekend with the furbaby again, who was getting very excited as she now understands the words 'Seaside' and 'Weymouth'. I personally think it's more because she knows she gets my dad 24\7 for a few days, as he doesn't leave her to go to work.

I wore my new coat out for the first time, as it's got a bit more crisp. It's a winter white and a size 22, to allow layering. I may take pictures tomorrow, maybe. Can't say I wasn't dissapointed having to go that large to be able to layer, but I'd had my eye on it for a while, it was £20 off in a flash sale and I had a £5 voucher so it was a must! As it's getting colder I can't afford to wait to lose a few pounds just so I can get a smaller size. It is shaped well, and slims me down nicely, or so my mother says.

Food Diary
Brunch - 2 slices of wholemeal toast, from a 400g loaf (HEB), 1tbs pure soy spread (4syns). This was of course used on the toast, I didn't just eat a tbs of spread.

Dinner - 2 LM origional sausages (4syns), baked beans (F), 2 slices of wholemeal toast, from a 400g loaf (HEB)

http://thehungryveganuk.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/dinner-14-11-13.jpg

Others: Banana (SF) Clemtines x 3 (SF) Americano (F)
HEA: (1) 250mL sweetened soy milk
Total HEB: 2
Total HEA: 1
Total Syns: 8

Sorry to be nosey but if you like LM stuff, try the red onion sausages as they're completely free. They taste a bit like stuffing and I love them :)

Welcome! I do it on the cheap as I'm a student myself. It can be a bit repetitive, but always filling!
I would go for the LM RRO ones but they have Palm oil in, if they didn't I would as the original are quite salty as well :( but they are nice, and be as nosey as you want! :D

Ooh, I didn't know that. What is palm oil? I've only ever seemed to see it mentioned on my lush products (saying they're free from it)

Ooh, I didn't know that. What is palm oil? I've only ever seemed to see it mentioned on my lush products (saying they're free from it)

Ignore that. I've just gone and educated myself and I can now understand why you avoid it :)

Everyday is a school day haha

Hey just subscribing :) You've done so well so far! Great loss. I'm also vegan and on slimming world x

Ignore that. I've just gone and educated myself and I can now understand why you avoid it :) Everyday is a school day haha

Haha good for you for looking into it! Most people aren't interested in the reasons when I say I can't have certain things I usually get "why it doesn't come from animals" and a lot of vegan foods have it which confuses people more

Friday 15th November

Didn't eat much at all today. I woke up late and spent in the day primping and prepping, ready to see the other half. I waited until the faculty office closed incase they emailed about my DBS, but they didn't so I rode like the wind! (On a train).
We watched the England game, and I had a couple of drinks, but I felt really poorly and had a splitting headache, borderline migraine, so we headed home after the game. We watched a bit of Children in Need, both balling our eyes out at the sad stories trying not to let on to other that we were streaming tears. It did nothing for my headache.

Food Diary

Breakfast - Jordan's organic porridge (HEB) and milk from HEA

Lunch - Pasta (F) with homemade Arribiatta sauce (F)

Dinner - nothing

HEA - 250mL sweetened soy milk
Syns - 3 x Jack Daniels and diet coke (9)

Total HEB - 1
Total HEA - 1
Total Syns - 9

Saturday 16th November

I saved myself today, as I knew we'd be having pizza in the evening, as is always done when Atlantis is on.

I don't recommend skipping breakfast or any meals. It's not healthy, I've been naughty and you shouldn't follow my example.

The other half was feeling a bit delicate this morning so I went out as bought breakfast for his omnivore self. We spent the morning having cuddles, and watched the first season of Numb3rs on DVD.

We went into town, and hit Superdrug like a beast, buying all my favourites. This way I can leave them at his, then I'm not having to bring it all every time I come up. We also went to Gaia. A lovely little whole foods and organic shop hidden down a side street.

It's fantastic. It's a little shop, but has a wide range, and friendly, helpful people. They do weekly deliveries of fresh, in season, organic, fruit and veg bags to local people. They cost £10 for delivery, £8.50 if you collect. Deliveries are free to disabled customers. For more information visit their website: Www.gaia.coop.

We watched a bit of the rugby, then headed home and ordered pizza, from Pizza Hut. Cheese less, veggie supreme with BBQ sauce on a pan base. I'm not sure how many syns, but it's a lot.

Attachments

• image-459048238.jpg
    image-459048238.jpg
    722.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Day 21: Vegan Does Slimming World

Sunday 17th November

Had a really bad night sleep last night. I was so dehydrated I kept waking up needing water. The pizza seemed to be saltier than previous ones I’ve had.

We’ve decided were going to nock pizza on the head for a bit. It was a treat, as we didn’t see each other much and it was nice staying in and having a lazy day with pizza, but it does nothing for my weight loss and they seem to have got saltier. Also we’ve managed to get in more visits recently, which has been great, so it’s become almost a weekly/fortnightly thing.

Food Diary
Breakfast – nothing

Lunch – roast potatoes (F) marrowfat peas (F)

Dinner – chips (20 syns)

No HEB
No HEA
Syns – 20

I asked if I could stay another night, because I don’t have anything tomorrow as DBS still hasn’t cleared. It was nice not worrying about having to leave, which I hate. Whereas if I leave when he leaves for work in the morning, we just go our separate ways, as if we were both going to work. It sounds weird but it makes it much easier to leave each other.

Day 22: Vegan Does Slimming World

Monday 18th November

I left with the other half this morning, when he went to work, but I couldn’t get the train till past 9 because of the type of ticket I had. I went to the bar where we always go and got a coffee. Feeling utterly miserable.
I made it home around lunchtime, and had no urge to cook anything, so I ate the entire bag of Quinoa Chips that I bought from Gaia on Saturday. I have no regrets. It’s been a long time since I’ve been able to enjoy a big bag of Sour Cream and Chive Chips. You heard me! Sour cream and chive, suitable for Vegans! I’m sure you’re going to say there’s loads out there, but I discovered these and I’m pretty chuffed with myself.
I do wish I had more self control than I do, because I won’t be able to get any more till next week, and they’re really tasty.
They’re full of flavour, crunchy, and they don’t taste like cardboard. 3 characteristic that make great crisps.
I would give you the nutritional information, but I no longer have my packet, expecting to be able to get it online. On their website it says 100g of these have 2382 calories, which I’m sure is incorrect! I’ll have to buy another bag to confirm, purely for accuracy on my blog.
I’ve been doing a little research on CoFresh, and I can’t find anything that suggests it’s not a friendly company, or owned by an unfriendly one. It’s a family run company started in 1974, and is UK based, with a huge range of snacks.

It doesn’t say anything in depth in the ‘about’ section, but near the bottom says “The company is prepared to significantly invest in people, products, facilities, product category development and branded marketing in order to achieve its stretching growth targets.” Which suggests to me they might get the help of larger companies, with not so friendly policies and procedures, so I’m watching that space. I say that, but they do have bases in Australia, Canada and the US, as well as the UK one, so they aren’t exactly small.

For slimming world purposes I’m using what I logged on MFP which is the sundried Tomato and Garlic Quinoa Chips at 450 calories.
I fell asleep for 4 hours! Waking up feeling exhausted, drained and completely miserable. I really needed comfort food. So I cooked the Vbites Southern Fried ‘chicken’ bits, some oven chips, and 2 LM sausages. I’ve noticed I’ve been having LM sausages ALOT. That’s because they’ve been on a reduced price, so I stocked up, fully intending to make them last whilst they are back to full price.
It’s not working.

Food Diary

Breakfast – nothing

Lunch – Quinoa Chips (22.5syns)

Dinner – Vbites southern fried ‘chicken’ bites (25 syns), Oven chips (5.6syns) and 2 LM original sausages (4 syns)

other – Americano (F)

Total Syns – 57.1 (oops)

At least I’m being honest.

It was a tough day. I spent the evening in tears. I went from worrying about not being DBS cleared for work placement, because if I don’t do the required amount of hours in a set time then I get booted off the course, and this is my last chance.
I then moved to crying over the fact our furbaby has epilepsy, on top of everything she’s been through in her life already, and how its so unfair. She’s only a baby (3 years old) and such a softie, and so smart, and it worries me how many of her brothers and sisters have it and been put down or put in pounds because of it.
I was also worrying about how I’m going to afford Christmas presents on 360 a month when I have less than 100 to last until December 20th.
I cried because my Nan’s no longer with us. No matter how rubbish life got you always knew she loved you, no matter what, and if you failed it was ok, if you messed up it was ok, you were always beautiful in her eyes, and she made everything ok.
And finally, I cried because I’m so far from my other half, and we aren’t financially stable to even look at saving for a place of our own by the time I’ve finished the course. It isn’t that far away when you have to save money. So even when I’ve finished will I be able to move to where he is? Will I have to stay here and work for a year to get real wages that open up the possibilities of saving? This pushes our future plans even further away.

It was all very emotional.

(Mass update posts)

Tuesday 19th November

Today was a much more positive day. I emailed the work placement team, and my tutor last night, expressing my panic over not being cleared yet, and my worries. I received an email this morning saying that I have now been cleared. I wonder if this was coincidence or if they had forgotten to notify me. Either way I start Thursday. As I've missed 5 shifts, that's 60 hours to make up before February. I'll have to do the maximum 4 shifts a week, during the 2 weeks before Christmas break and the 6 weeks after Christmas break. This would make up the hours I've missed and hopefully give me a few extra.

It's going to be tough on our relationship, I may have to do more weekends, but I think we can get through. It's for both our futures that I'm doing this, and we do have Christmas to look forward to. I'll be going up there on the 23rd and coming back after New Years. Lot's of time together.

I woke up feeling a bit poorly, I think from all the crying last night. I didn't eat most of the day, and just had a tea and a coffee with some soy milk. I boiled some new potatoes and cooked a jacket potato, in preparation for the week. I went into town to get a few bits from Waitrose. I have no idea when I'll next be able to get there or be able to afford food. I bought some fruit, tins of soup, baked beans, and bread. I also bought some Organic Oat Milk as it was 3 for £3. I drink far too much soy milk, which is Tesco's own sweetened which can't be good for me at all. When I got home I was famished and made a new dish, Ive not attempted before. I wish I had my own family to do Christmas Dinner for because I think it would make a great side dish or for boxing day for left overs.

Food Diary

Breakfast - Nothing

Lunch - Nothing

Dinner - Fried potato (F), 'bacon' (2 syns), and vegetable (SF) Medley, using frylight (F), 2 slices of wholemeal toast from 400g loaf (HEB) with 1 tbs of pure soy butter (4 syns) and 2 LM sausages (4 syns)

image-2141585039.jpg

Other - tea/coffee and Hot chocolate made with G&B organic powder (4 syns) and milk from HEA HEA - (1) 250mL sweetened Soy Milk (2) 250mL sweetened soy Milk

Total HEA - 2
Total HEB - 1

Total Syns - 14

I thoroughly enjoyed that dinner. It was a moreish medley with Cheatin rashers used for the bacon. These are amazingly accurate in taste without the saltiness and dehydration afterwards.

Last edited:
Day 25: Vegan Does Slimming World

Thursday 21st November

Finished my first shift! Tired is not even the word to describe it! I had an awful night sleep, from nerves. Then my alarms went off at 5am. I made lunch, packed fruit and filled my water bottle. I walked to station whilst eating my breakfast, and got the 6:30 train for a 7:30 start.

I'm hoping that I'll lose weight on this work placement. I didn't on other work placements because I was dehydrated the whole time, and ate at weird hours. I was hoping this time round I'd be more prepared. I wasn't. I managed to have some fruit mid morning, then lunch at 4pm. I was let off half an hour early, and caught 8pm train. Whilst everyone was munching on McDonalds, I ate some more fruit. I have to say it's the first time in about 2 years, the smell of McDonalds has been appealing. That's how hungry I was.

I got off the train and caved at the local newsagents getting a bag of original hula hoops, a major comfort food but also a 'may contain' product. I managed to get back home for about 9pm.

My feet could not have carried me much further, my knees, hips, ankles were in agony I felt like pinhead was beak dancing in them. I cooked dinner and tomorrow's lunch, eating about 10pm.

Food Diary

Breakfast - two slices wholemeal bread from 400g loaf (HEB), 1tbs pure soy butter (4 syns).

Snack - banana, coffee with milk from HEA

Lunch - vegetable soup (F) 2 slices wholemeal bread from 400g loaf (HEB) coffee with milk from HEA

Snack - clementine (SF) banana (SF) hula hoop original (6 syns)

Dinner - jacket potato (F) baked beans (F) corn on the cob (F) 3 rashers cheatin bacon (6 syns)

Total HEA: (1) 300mL unsweetened soy milk

Total HEB: (1) 2 slices wholemeal from 400g loaf (2) 2 slices wholemeal from 400g loaf

Total syns: 16

Day 26: Vegan Does Slimming World

Friday 22nd November

I fell asleep last night with a warm snuggle butt, furbaby, in my bed. Then she got called by my dad for her medication and bed time. I always hope they'd forget to put her to bed and leave her where she is, but her medications really important and has to be given. I got to sleep around 11pm; again, waking up to the joyous sounds of the alarm at 5. I really need to change the tone it's the most annoying noise possible. I weighed and I've put 2.4lbs on :(

I made some soup, as I'm away this weekend and needed food for after my shift. Packed some fruit, my lunch and filled my water bottle. Off I went. I forgot all together to have breakfast. I had lunch at around 1:30 today as it was quite quiet. Feeling the aches and pains double up, dehydration setting in.

I feel quite useless. Because I have experience in the area, so there's an expectation, but everything's done differently and with not being able to retain and process information, linked to my dyslexia , it makes me feel like I'm slow in their eyes. I think when I have a proper sit down meeting with my mentor I might mention this because I don't like feeling stupid. I know it's only the second day, and my mentor is lovely and said there is absolutely no pressure, which was a huge relief and I will forever be thankful to her for saying that.

They also don't know about the possibility I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, so they don't know I'm in constant pain. I've avoided this, because I don't want them to think they have someone who needs breaks all the time or will be off sick a lot. Which I won't of course. I tend to try and get back early from breaks and use the computer for research. I love research. I just wish I could remember it quickly!

I left around quarter to 8 planning to rush to the station. My head was saying "go go go!" But my legs were saying, "noooo! We'll walk at a snails pace." I tried so hard to walk fast but it just wasn't happening. I got the 8:45 train to the OHs getting there for 10pm. On the train I read through the vegetarian living magazine which I love! It has a top 10 Christmas market section, with pit stops of places to go to get a bite to eat. I was really surprised Birmigham wasn't on the list though.

I didn't have my soup in the end. It had been in the flask since 6 this morning, and then looking at my bank balance had made me feel rather sick. £20 to last until 20th December. Yea. The OH met me at 10, at the station and he was a little intoxicated as he'd been out with friends. So I said let's go for a drink as I fancied one anyway. Then we headed home, by this time I was starving, so I got a veggie kebab and chips. I'm not even sure it's strictly vegan, as it's cooked in same oil I think, so I was double whammed with guilt, but I was so hungry I had to eat something.

Food diary

Breakfast - nothing

Lunch - pasta (F) with homemade Arribiatta Sauce (F) a banana (SF) and a black coffee (F)

Dinner - veggie kebab and chips (a million syns)

Last edited:
Back