fromage frais

I can not find fat free fromage frais in supermarkets near me. How many syns would be in just normal fromage frais?? I have loads of recipes i want to try that contains it. Or is there anything else i could substitute it with?? Thanks.

Fat free natural yogurt, not quite as thick but same effect

The fat free ones are usually labelled as about 0.1% fat. Sainsbury's and Tesco's have it under their "be good to yourself" and "healthy living" range. A good alternative is fat free natural greek style yogurt. To be honest it's practically the same, and the Total 0% one is very yummy, if a tad expensive. Look out for it reduced at the end of the day, as it will last about a week longer than that in the fridge.

If you use fromage frais as a soured cream alternative, beware that on chilli con carne and it will disintegrate into the sauce very quickly, whereas Quark will stay as it is unless you mix it in.

The fat free ones are usually labelled as about 0.1% fat. Sainsbury's and Tesco's have it under their "be good to yourself" and "healthy living" range. A good alternative is fat free natural greek style yogurt. To be honest it's practically the same, and the Total 0% one is very yummy, if a tad expensive. Look out for it reduced at the end of the day, as it will last about a week longer than that in the fridge.

If you use fromage frais as a soured cream alternative, beware that on chilli con carne and it will disintegrate into the sauce very quickly, whereas Quark will stay as it is unless you mix it in.

Just remember that quark is rancid!

Happy Hippo said:
Not a fan then I take it?! The stuff in the square tubs from Tesco (Meadow Vale I think) is a lot more solid than the runny gunk in the round tubs elsewhere. Could never eat the stuff on its own though :eek:

It's not just me that's noticed this then! The stuff from Sainsburys is like yoghurt and nothing like a cream cheese. Very bizarre!! Much prefer the one from Tesco.

Back