Fruit and veg while JUDDDing.

I must admit I find eating fruit and veg on juddding hard.

On DD i find it hard to squeeze in my 5 a day due to the low amount of cals (I try my hardest but dont want every meal to be 95% fruit and veg on a dd)

On an UD as I want to follow the rules correctly, I find I have little fruit and veg due to the large amount of cals I have to consume and that getting my 5 a day in additon to my meals aswell lowers my cals alot and I dont want to send myself into starvation mode.

Id love to hear any tips or ideas on what you think about it or how you manage it?

Oh the veg can be an absolute doddle some DDs.

I carefully select a pot of paste - thai, indian usually - they can come in quite low in kcals per pot.

Grab a huge selection of veggies, almost any sort will do. Just play with what you like/have.

Par cook the veggies, add the sauce and bingo bango: 6 - 8 portions of veggie curry at about 350kcals. Freezes back nicely. I usually bag up a slightly small portion and add green beans or half a pita or something, depending on how I feel.

For UDs I add rice, naan, meat! That way I don't have to have different meals on DDs and UDs. I have found that if it feels like a normal meal I get on with it better. So no ultra low fat 'stuff' here - and that includes cottage cheese :)

Oh the veg can be an absolute doddle some DDs.

I carefully select a pot of paste - thai, indian usually - they can come in quite low in kcals per pot.

Grab a huge selection of veggies, almost any sort will do. Just play with what you like/have.

Par cook the veggies, add the sauce and bingo bango: 6 - 8 portions of veggie curry at about 350kcals. Freezes back nicely. I usually bag up a slightly small portion and add green beans or half a pita or something, depending on how I feel.

For UDs I add rice, naan, meat! That way I don't have to have different meals on DDs and UDs. I have found that if it feels like a normal meal I get on with it better. So no ultra low fat 'stuff' here - and that includes cottage cheese :)

Ooo that sounds brilliant! See Ive got 6 tubs (old chinese tubs, need to use them as Ive eaten too many chineses over the years ;)) full of Mediterranean veg pearl barley risotto at 380cals but dont fancy eating it everytime with a salad haha! I need to get more inventive I think!

I meant to say it must be a jar of paste, not sauce. In some jars it is the sauce that adds kcals. You need to check each pot.

The paste goes much further, I don't usually add much water and make quite a dry curry as that reduces my need for a naan :)

Example: thai paste 252 kcals, sauce 216kcals, but I can get more out of the paste and it tastes stronger/nicer.

Once you have played round with one of each you will be able to decide which you prefer.

I am looking at other jars of sauce at the moment, I feel the need for a change :)

Back