fruit..

Kitteh

Resident geek
Just after peoples opinions on what the "healthiest" fruit is.. in your own opinion with a reason..
i was trying to work out what i thought, but i really dont know.. obviously fruit has sugar in it, albeit natural sugar..

also do you think that eating 3 apples is better for yourself than eating a bar of chocolate? probs is, just wondering your opinions..

Wheres KD.. she has the answers for all..!

x x

Wheres KD.. she has the answers for all..!

x x

LOL. Not all the answers :D Just the ones I know ;)

Just after peoples opinions on what the "healthiest" fruit is.. in your own opinion with a reason..

Depends on what you want your fruit for. Fruit is good :)

Want to keep calories low? berries or melon

Need a bit more fat in your diet?: Bananas or advocado

Want something hot? Baked apple, or grilled pineapple.

Want something to calm your nerves before a piano concert? Bananas :D

etc etc

Each one has a different function, so how healthy it is depends much more on your requirements

Just want 3 pieces of fruit? Go for different colours rather than 3 off the same thing.

Want chocolate? Go for Terry's choc orange...then you get fruit :D :D

Pink Lady apples are B..E..A..UIFUL honestly xxxx

LOL. Not all the answers :D Just the ones I know ;)

Depends on what you want your fruit for. Fruit is good :)

Want to keep calories low? berries or melon

Need a bit more fat in your diet?: Bananas or advocado

Want something hot? Baked apple, or grilled pineapple.

Want something to calm your nerves before a piano concert? Bananas :D

etc etc

Each one has a different function, so how healthy it is depends much more on your requirements

Just want 3 pieces of fruit? Go for different colours rather than 3 off the same thing.

Want chocolate? Go for Terry's choc orange...then you get fruit :D :D

I knew you would come back with sense.. lol..
why do you think the three different colours?

im kinda following sw, attempting to have as low salt as possible, making my own meals or soup.. but then in stead of eating chocolate or crisps or something, wanted a good substitute.. lol.. been eating plums.. pears.. apples.. they're my main fruit atm.. lol.. ooh or those things you get as a decoration on puddings.. physalis thingys.. dont really keep track of my fat intake or anything..
x x

oh they are I have some in my fridge now but I'm on sole source so they will end up as bird food.....lucky birds lol:(

I knew you would come back with sense.. lol..
why do you think the three different colours?

Cos the stuff that make the colours are the ones that are good for us. Different colours, different goodies :clap:

Same goes for veg. The more colours on the plate, the healthier it is. All to do with the phytochemicals:cool:

been eating plums.. pears.. apples.. they're my main fruit atm.. lol.. ooh or those things you get as a decoration on puddings.. physalis thingys.. dont really keep track of my fat intake or anything..
x x

That sounds good :) You can do lots with fruit. I put frozen berries in my porridge before microwaving. Grill pineapple, microwave sliced apple with a little brown sugar and lots of cinnamon. Sometimes I have fruit raw too :p

Oh, and had rhubarb greek yoghurt yesterday. Nice :)

oooh rhubarb is lush..! i love tangy things.. like tangy oranges n stuff..
i never knew about the colours.. i think cd has conditioned me to eat green veg.. lol.. ill deff b remembering that next time im off to the greengrocers..
I usually put raisins in my porridge, or walnuts.. or sometimes both.. yum..!

and emmie.. those are som lucky birds..!

x x

they are lucky birds but as the weathers been bad I think they deserve a treat xxx Oh and by the way two girls at uni today were raving about chinese pears apprently their really nice xxx

I usually put raisins in my porridge, or walnuts.. or sometimes both.. yum..!

Walnuts are a great addition. There has been loads of research on certain nuts when it comes to weight issues.

I tend to go for almonds, so know more about them :) but I'm sure that walnuts come under the same catagory.

You know how 3,500 calories equal a pound extra weight? Well...3,500 cals isn't an exact number BTW, could be 2,700 for some, 4,000 for others.

Hang on, I digress. People eating the above nuts on top of what they would normally eat, didn't show the weight gain that was expected. In fact, some lost weight (with the almonds anyway...possibly the walnuts too), others gained a very, very little, but appeared to have lost more fat and gained just a tiny bit more water.

They were eating and extra ounce a day. An extra ounce of almonds is nearly 200 calories, so add that up over a week and that's a load more calories.:eek: But virtually no gain on weight:cool:

This isn't one of those myth things. There are hundreds of research papers reporting the same.

Even my BBC Truth About Food book gives it a mention :D

I'll quote from Webmd (just one of the bits about almonds)
Almonds May Help in Weight Loss

Participants in the almond diet saw an 18% reduction in weight and body mass index (BMI) -- a measure of weight based on height -- compared with an 11% reduction in the non-almond dieters. Additionally, waist circumference in the almond group decreased by 14%, compared with a 9% decrease in the non-almond group.

Not an excuse to binge on nuts, but certainly an ounce a day sounds like a good addition.

Personally, I always have a few almonds each day. They are my snack attack foods. Gets rid of hunger between meals and doesn't appear to have made any changes in my weight.

Oh, ramble, ramble...but nuts have so many other goodies in them. Healthy eating isn't all about fruit and veg. Nuts are a good source of fibre, essential fatty acids and protein. Also vitamins, iron, selenium etc etc.

Oh and they have the phytochemicals too:clap:

Here endeth the nutrition lecture for today :D

oooh.. i never knew that. see.. i need you KD..!!.. lol.. might pick up some almonds when im out.. i like almonds more than i like walnuts.. they just taste so good in porridge.. yum.
I knew about various different good fats, and the so on, i was just always too lazy to find out about them.. lol.. i think you need to do your daily food diary again KD.. =) .. i think its your duty.. lol! i think i may research about iron, cos im meant to have lots of that apparantly.. its all really interesting..

x x x

they are lucky birds but as the weathers been bad I think they deserve a treat xxx Oh and by the way two girls at uni today were raving about chinese pears apprently their really nice xxx

ooh.. chinese pears.. ill have to check those out..
I deff dont envy those poor birds.. feel so sorry for them.. i wouldnt like to be out in this weather :S

x x

oooh.. i never knew that. see.. i need you KD..!!.. lol.. might pick up some almonds when im out.. i like almonds more than i like walnuts.. they just taste so good in porridge.. yum.

Almonds do too :) Also had them in my sandwich today :D
i think you need to do your daily food diary again KD.. =)

thinkno.gif

I'll tell you what I had for lunch today though since it included fruit and almonds :clap:

Cranberry Chicken Sandwich

2 slices of seeded bread
Mayonnaise (usually have butter and mayo, but decided against it today)
Shredded cooked chicken
Some sliced almonds
Red grapes (halved) and dried cranberries
Dark green lettuce leaves.
A tiny bit of salt and pepper.

Followed with some hot microwaved sliced apple with sug and cinnamon, and vanilla icecream (just a bit as it's a bit cold :D)
.. i think its your duty.. lol! i think i may research about iron, cos im meant to have lots of that apparantly.. its all really interesting..

Yeah, irons good. I was always anemic when I was pregnant...well, until they told me that liquorice was good for iron :D

Still, there's more efficient ways of getting it, but it can be a bit tricky.

I was told that spinach was good for iron, but unfortunately it's all a lie :( The guy that tested it got his decimal point in the wrong place and people thought it was 10X more iron rich than it actually was for about 40 years :D :D

There is a fair bit of iron in it, but also has oxalic acid so it passes straight through us. So with spinach you have to have an iron enhancer to help it work (forget exactly which foods are iron enhancers though:eek:)

I also had loads of liver when preg. but you can't have that any more I don't think.

Leaves meat :D

Oh, but almonds have some...though not a lot.

ooh i did so not know that about spinach.. damn.. well played man for getting it wrong for 40 years..
Your sandwich sounded looovely.. i love cranberries and grapes, i miss brie atm.. =(.. if i lived in france i could have it.. lol..
am attempting to make a "colourful" dinner tonight with various veg, lol.. which is strange for me, as i'd normally stick to green veg.. lol..
its a shame, cos i love lentils and everything, but i also have to cook for a fussy man.. who does not.. lol..

I wanted to buy almonds the other day but they're 3.55 (i think) euro's in shops here!! WHAT THE HELL!! In all honesty I only checked 1 store but what is that? Euro is the same as pound at the mo right? Or close? So that'd be 3.55 pounds for a small bag (200g?) of almonds....

Stupid nuts! >_<

its a shame, cos i love lentils and everything, but i also have to cook for a fussy man.. who does not.. lol..

My man doesn't like lentils either. Not sure how to break to him that he's been having it in his spag bol and meatballs for 26.5 years :D

So that'd be 3.55 pounds for a small bag (200g?) of almonds....

Stupid nuts! >_<

Cripes. I got my last 'load' from ASDA for 60p for 100g. They are usually about 95p for 100g. Last me a while though :)

My man doesn't like lentils either. Not sure how to break to him that he's been having it in his spag bol and meatballs for 26.5 years :D

LOL.. thats brill.. it reminds me of when michael told me he didnt like beef.. and i said to him.. but you ear burgers.. "well yeah.. i know.. cos they're made of ham".. brilliant.. he also told me not to put tomatos in his bolognaise.. cos he didnt like them, he liked it the way i normally did it.. yes michael.. i ALWAYS do it with tomatos.. he shut up after that.. He probably wouldnt notice come to think of it if i used lentils..

x x

Back