frylight - what am i doing wrong?

Tried twice now, once frying an egg and second time trying to fry quorn sausages

total disaster, both times pan really dry and food stuck to it:mad:.

what is the secret? i used about 5 or 6 squirts and waited for pan to heat up before adding food

A better frying pan?! Ive never had any problems with it but i do let it get really hot before putting the food in.

the secret is without question a good quality non stick frying pan! I had an old pan from tesco and burnt it black when trying to use frylight. I have a tefal non stick pan now and you dont even need frylight when "frying" eggs! Hope that helps!

I'm glad im not the only one who cant 'fry' an egg with frylight!! :D
I find everything else ok as long as i keep spraying if the pan goes dry. Instead i cook my eggs in a small bit of water so they are more pouched than fried, but i got so fed up of scrubbing the pan after failed attempts!! :rolleyes:
xxx

Firstly, coat the pan before you heat it, if you heat it first it just evaporates off as it hits the pan. Secondly, and this is the official line given by SW to my Consultant when they were asking "how much frylight is advisable?" they were told to tell people they can "squirt till it hurts" if they need to.

Hope that helps.

totally agree with Madame but keep it on a lowish heat and it helps stop it sticking. I finish them off under the grill for about 30 secs so they aren't hard as well.

Firstly, coat the pan before you heat it, if you heat it first it just evaporates off as it hits the pan. Secondly, and this is the official line given by SW to my Consultant when they were asking "how much frylight is advisable?" they were told to tell people they can "squirt till it hurts" if they need to.

Hope that helps.

haha i always make a joke that im giving my finger some body magic :)
xxxx

There's a great thread in the recipe section on frying eggs - if you nip over there and do a search on "snotty egg" (don't ask!) I'm sure you will find it.

I had trouble with fry light and its been a combination of all of the above posts really, but i invested in a good frying pan and a while ago i read a post here that advised to keep the heat lower, i get much better results now

I don't fry quorn sausages I spray them and chuck in the oven.

At 1/2 syn for a fried egg, I just use one syn for two eggs (drained well on kitchen paper)

I don't fry quorn sausages I spray them and chuck in the oven.

At 1/2 syn for a fried egg, I just use one syn for two eggs (drained well on kitchen paper)

i thought fried eggs wee free if using fry light??

I tend to cook mine a notch lower than I would do had I been using oil. If you have it too high then it will go black in the pan.

I *had* a lovely tefal frying pan, until the boyfriend destroyed it scraping about with a knife :cry:

He has since been banned from my kitchen and my pans!

thanks for letting me know the bacon an egg brunch for tomorrow survives..:D

I find frylight a pain. We bought a really good quality pan, but a few months of frylight has ruined it and no amount of scrubbing can completely clear away the black, burnt layer. We are reluctant to invest in a new one whilst sticking to frylight as longterm it doesn't seem to help the pans. Have never tried an egg - I have enough hassle trying to fry onions with the smoke alarm going off the whole time!

The trick I use is to add a tbsp of water to onions, surprisingly they still taste the same x

chloecat said:
I find frylight a pain. We bought a really good quality pan, but a few months of frylight has ruined it and no amount of scrubbing can completely clear away the black, burnt layer. We are reluctant to invest in a new one whilst sticking to frylight as longterm it doesn't seem to help the pans. Have never tried an egg - I have enough hassle trying to fry onions with the smoke alarm going off the whole time!

Hi don't use any oil in a v good pan, ruins it as u found out, I did this too before :-(

re the onions. I put them in a apan. Heat,spray with frylight. Add water,salted if liked,and a alittle chicken bovril.Cook until all water evaporated. The fry light then helps you brown them off and stops anny sogginess. I do the same with mushrooms and you can add garlic as well.

Back