Eclaire089

I'm new here - so I'm really sorry if I'm putting this in the wrong place. I thought it was quite general and just wanted some advice.

I picked up some Slimming World books from eBay having been so impressed with a friend's weight loss. My aim is to lose about a stone, just so I can feel more confident again. I was a bit anxious at the thought of going to groups, so thought doing it at home would be the best option for me.

Since Christmas, I've knuckled down and in the last two weeks I've been really good with planning meals - something I've never really actively done before.

I feel like I'm eating on plan the majority of the time, but not sure I'm getting anywhere - not on the scales anyway. Am I misjudging what I'm eating or am I being impatient?

I've been allowing ten to fifteen syns a day on a typical day, I've eaten;

Breakfast
Oats So Simple porridge
Cinnamon for flavour

Snack
Banana
Apple
Hartley's Jelly sugar free pot (occasionally)

Lunch
Syn free Tomato and Herb Pasta Mugshot

Dinner
Grilled chicken with spices
Slimming world chips
Peas
Carrots
Brocolli

Obviously this is a snapshot, but on the face of it, does this sound as 'on plan' as I have been thinking it is?

That actually looks pretty good. What sort of drinks are you having? Are you drinking lots of water? Do you know how many syns you use daily, more or less?

Have you lost any weight at all in those two weeks? If you only have a stone to lose then you ARE likely to lose quite slowly.

The above doesn't look too bad but I couldn't see any healthy extras on there (unless the oats are one of them?). Are you using them every day? What kind of Oat So Simple are you using? There are only a few of them that can be used as a healthy extra (mainly the multigrain and gluten free ones). Therefore, if it's not one of the healthy extra ones it would need to be synned. They're 4.5 - 5.5 syns per sachet, depending on the size. I don't see any milk or cheese on there for a healthy extra A choice either, are you using them?

The SW plan suggests that a third of your plate should be speed foods with every meal but it looks like this isn't the case for breakfast and lunch on the example above. Are you eating any speed foods with your meals? (I see that carrots and broccoli are there for dinner, which is great but could you add a salad to lunch or some fresh berries to breakfast?).

What else are you using your syns on each day? From what you've said though it sounds like you're sticking within 15 but as above, if you're counting the Oat So Simple as a healthy extra, that's likely to be about 5 syns extra, depending on the kind you use.

That actually looks pretty good. What sort of drinks are you having? Are you drinking lots of water? Do you know how many syns you use daily, more or less?

Have you lost any weight at all in those two weeks? If you only have a stone to lose then you ARE likely to lose quite slowly.

Thank you for getting back to me!

I tend to just drink water or squash; I'm not a fan of tea or coffee. I don't think as much as I probably should everyday, but I'm making an effort to get better at this.

I would say most days I only use about 7 syns. I've heard you can expect better weight loss if you're using all your syns but I don't know if that was out of context.

I've lost around two pounds, so it does seem to be having an effect but I don't know whether I'm just being unrealistic expecting that I would drop loads quite quickly.

One thing that helped me at the start is to take each week and do a retrospective of sorts, and then see what I could change or tweak to suit me better. For me, I have chosen to cut bread and pasta completely from my plan. I thought of the first few weeks as a bit of trial and error to see what suited me, and what didn't. It's very easy see someone who seems to be flying through stone brackets and think "i'll just do what they are doing" but you need to remember that every body is different.

I'd establish a baseline, write everything in your diary for the week, weigh all your healthy extras, Double check syn values on things you are used to having, and weigh at the end of the week. Then review your diary for the week and depending on your results, look at what you should 1. Keep doing, 2. Stop doing 3. try something else.

Back