Gah! Swines!!

LittleFlutterby

Fluffy lil flutterby :)
OMG rant time- big, fat UGLY rant time

So- our PCT were giving away 3 month SW vouchers for people with a high bmi- all we needed to do was to see our doctor or call a number

So i called this number about....4 months ago- told them my bmi (was about 44 at the time) and they told me it was too high! It was only for people who were overweight, sod the obese people!

I got referred to some rubbish course, and im on week 4 of that, the only reason im doing it is for the free gym pass.

I decided 3 months ago to pay for slimming world, even though i can't really afford it because i'm living on grants and loans (im a uni student) and my doctor says i'm too ill to work.

I wanted to get my bmi to 35, which was about 5 stone loss or something, and then i could get 3 months free, which would be a godsend, would save me £50

THEY'RE FRIGGING STOPPING IT!

well of course they are! God forbid if something actually WORKS, then there'll be no fat people for their pathetic little courses!

I am so upset. SW is saving my life, ive lost nearly 2 stone in 3 months- the plan is awesome. but its more the support i need. thats why i go. i dont miss any groups, because i *need* that personal support. and my consultant is awesome, i love her to bits

but there is going to be a time where i have to stop because i cant afford to go to the meetings :(

i have 8st 3.5lb to go to my target (it was 10st when i started) so really 3 months free would have really helped

Sods law for sure- it's so frustrating :( just feels like a right kick in the teeth :(

Oh no! That really is a right old pain in the bum.

I was surprised to hear that there is no discount for students as many companies do give some kind of amount off the price of their products.

I hope you are able to keep losing weight as you have made fantastic progress so far. Sorry there's nothing we can do to help :(

Really?! They're stopping it?! An omg i can't believe there was a bmi cut off (I know or alot of dietician services it's 50 but not sw!)

I'm a uni student and I've managed to keep going - it's tough but the £5 is so worth it and I'm sure If I wasn't doing sw I'd spend more than that on Crappy foods!!

Ask a different doctor, just because one says they are stopping it doesn't mean they all are, my hospital pregnancy consultant was the one who suggested slimming world, she would have issued me with a 12 week countdown there and then but I was a bit offended by her offer. Contacted slimming world and changed my mind, then contacted my own gp to have them tell me the scheme didn't exist, couldn't diet while pregnant etc, so I asked them to get the community midwife to call me. She arranged the referral and they sent me a 12 week countdown in the post would have been a lot quicker and easier to just say yes please in the first place but live and learn. If your GP won't help ask if you can make an appointment with a nutritionalist or a practice nurse they seem to know a lot more about stuff like this, hugs Crystal xx

oh i wish they did student discount :(

they do free sw if you're under 16 (if you go with a parent) and i may be mistaken, but i think you get a discount if you're over 60 or something....students should get something too- even if its % off when you buy a countdown or something

it is definitely worth the £5 a week, but i really dont think i'll be able to afford it after a while. i dunno how i afforded to drink, smoke and eat junk food- i feel skinter now that i gave up all 3 :\

@Lukasmummy- it was the head of the lifestyle and weight management department that told me, he took over that course for a week and i asked him. but i am going to go to the doctors tomorrow and kick off, because i really need some kind of help- and sw is *working*

Dont quote me on this as i might be wrong but im positive there is student discount and its something like 20p lol! So i fort stuff it n carried on paying as normal! Im pretty sure it was with sw :) xx

They used to do student discount, about 2 years ago I think. It wasn't much - about 50p if I remember rightly but they stopped it.

Apparently SW is comparatively cheap to other slimming groups and that was the justification for getting rid of the discount.

Is there any chance you can get a countdown? The 12 week one saves you £10 (2 free weeks) which is more than the student discount would have been anyway :)

lauratrev said:
Dont quote me on this as i might be wrong but im positive there is student discount and its something like 20p lol! So i fort stuff it n carried on paying as normal! Im pretty sure it was with sw :) xx

I thought there was a slight discount as well. I thought it was the same price as pensioners?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Nope no student discount (I'm regularly entering new members so see all the options). I'm going to struggle with paying for group when I'm at uni however I find if I buy a 12 week count down then at least I have 12 weeks to find the money for the next 12 instead of having to find £5 each week.

yeah, i bought a countdown, and it was my last one this week, so going to buy another countdown

i'm just frustrated at this change, that they're gonna stop the vouchers. that is so not fair...if ive done it on my own, and lost nearly 2 stone already...maybe they will give me a voucher before they end them...maybe, possibly?

stupid nhs- i bet the only reason why they're doingit is because the money for the vouchers are going to SW, and the nhs cant keep it...or something :\

Pensioners only get 30p discount, hardly worth it.

I think you are very lucky to be getting free gym (that's not meant to sound rude), I tried & tried to get help from my GP but there is nothing available. I hoped I would get either free SW or gym, I am a SAHM so qualify for naff all help.

mrsthunderbolt, dont they have lifestyle and weight management groups in your area? i guess i am lucky to get the gym pass, but because i suffer with acute anxiety, and suffer from panic attacks daily, the gym takes so much out of me mentally, that i'm sick for days.

Today, i had to drug myself up just so i could go out to water aerobics and the gym. i felt ok, but it was packed and i felt so sick afterwards.

SW ive always felt ok at, maybe because its mostly women and i feel safe. and my consultant is so approachable, that i dont feel at all intimidated. and its working great. i just dont see why there's a high-end cut off. surely people with bmi over 35 need help MORE?

What frustrates me more is i have to keep going to this course, because i want to keep the pass. but all the stuff that's said completely contradicts what slimming world says. at least i dont have to go to the week where they talk about alcohol. i got a note for that- yay! lie in that week! lol

sorry that you;'re so disappointed little bubblez, I phoned my Gp and they don't even offer slimming on referral.

However, some more bad news for you, you can only get slimming on referral if you haven't been attending weight loss classes in the last 3 months, eg if you're already a SW member then you won't qualify for it.

Well done for your acheivements so far, keep smiling :)

All companies, including the NHS, are having to make savings. This is one saving that they are obviously making in your area.

I suspect that your GP's surgery will offer a weight loss management type thing, I know ours will give nutritional advice and weekly weigh ins.

Even if you did get SW on referral it would be for 12 weeks, followed by another 12 if you are lucky - then what? It would have to be paid for.

I'm not having a go for one minute, I just think the NHS is making savings without cutting ALL patient services. I'd rather this stopped than lose a GP in my surgery (for example) so we all suffer then.

Hope you manage to find the fiver each week and keep going because it's clearly helping you.

What frustrates me more is i have to keep going to this course, because i want to keep the pass. but all the stuff that's said completely contradicts what slimming world says. at least i dont have to go to the week where they talk about alcohol. i got a note for that- yay! lie in that week! lol

It's a shame that they are cutting this. But if you've given up smoking and drinking and junk food, then perhaps you can use the money for SW? (I imagine a pack of 20 is about £6? I don't really know).
I agree with you, the BMI cut off seems a bit ridiculous, becasue as you said, people with a higher BMI would need help more!
But, you've done really well so far- I know money is tight, I'm also a Uni student, but it is SO worth it if you can manage it :)

Good luck, and congratulations so far :D

PS- out of interest, what advice does the course thing give you that is opposite to SW? :)

Back