Gall bladder and gallstones & SW

bubblybooboo

Silver Member
I everyone, i have recently been told i need to have my gallbladder removed as have gallstones which led me to be admitted in hospital in lots if pain.

Got couple months to wait for the op but just wondered if anyone else has had theirs removed, what changes they needed to make to their diet, weight loss/gain or how they found it etc...?

Know everyones different but i would like to know the possible pros and cons as would like to be prepared :) i do worry i will gain weight after but hoping sticking with SW will help me lose the weight i need to get to a healthy size even after the op as need to lose 6stone eek :/

Xx

I had mine removed when I was 16 so 8 years ago now and was told I should eat a low fat diet...queue 7.5 years of takeaways!
It probably depends a little bit on everyone's individual tolerances as my stepdad will often get a sore stomach after eating something rather greasy (not that that stops him) whereas it ne'er affected me that way.
You should be fine if youre following sw anyways as its low fat :) hope all goes well!

Hi

I had a terrible time 3 years ago and ended up in hospital for a week when I developed jaundice because of gallstones. However as soon as my gallbladder was taken out I was right as rain again and can eat whatever I like. Just remember to avoid ALL fat until you've had them out.

Hope you don't feel too ill.

Thanks for your best wishes :) x thanks for commenting :) really good to hear some positives too x

i think i have gallstones. Waiting for the ultrasounds. The symptoms fit (but they also fit other things), reading up it seems rapid weight loss with low calorie diets is a common cause.

Sounds like i have done it to myself.

If you've got gallstones you realise pretty quickly, I remember being curled up in the bathroom one night genuinely convinced I was dying (and I'm honestly not one to 'be sick'). I couldn't stop vomiting and the pain is horrific.

You guys will feel much better once they remove your gall bladder. Hope it gets sorted soon!

If you've got gallstones you realise pretty quickly, I remember being curled up in the bathroom one night genuinely convinced I was dying (and I'm honestly not one to 'be sick'). I couldn't stop vomiting and the pain is horrific.

You guys will feel much better once they remove your gall bladder. Hope it gets sorted soon!

I dragged myself to A&E, which I have not needed to visit for twenty five years.

Jenna88 said:

I recognise those feelings, 10 times worse than child birth when I had problems with my gallbladder.

Had a bad night with gallbladder last night x was out with friends when pain flated up and had to be driven home as couldnt drive x

Think i overdid it a bit with housework yesterday eek! Anyone else had trouble with it flating up?

Csnt wait to get it removed as cant be going through this every five minutes x lol

Jenna88 said:

I thought I was dying too. Was sure I was having a heart attack. Have never been more scared in my life. Really glad I had it taken out. Such a horrible experience

I have gallstones but have to lose weight in order to get the op to have them removed. To be honest they havent bothered me for a long time and hopefully won't bother me again. I was told to have a low fat diet but i found my trigger was always melted cheese so never have that now. x

My sis and a friend at work have had theirs removed , the doctors told them its common in yo yo dieters. They both tell me that now and again depending on what they eat, the get a bought of the runs. For example friend went for a meal in a pub ordered a mixed grill (thinking low fat as grilled), she had half of a cumberland sausage and was ill all night with vomiting and diahorrea. So it appears that even though they remove the gallbladder in some cases you still need to be really careful with what you eat.

I am currently lying in a hospital bed as a result of gallstones. One of the little sods got trapped in a duct, triggering off pancreatitis attack. Which in severe cases cause death.
It seems mine is not to severe, it has calmed down a bit, had a procedure yesterday afternoon they went down via my throat and sliced open a duct to let the stone pass, and make the hole a bit bigger for any future stones.

The surgeon told me that there is always a chance that this procedure itself can cause another attack of pancreatitis.

The only thing that touched the pain when it was at its worst was morphine. Boy that was good. It ran out Tuesday and the pains came back, I thought I was going to die, I had pins and needles, severe pain right through my body, I was perspiring and wailing loudly on the ward.

I am not a yo yo dieter, this is the very first diet I have ever tried...

gazter said:
I am currently lying in a hospital bed as a result of gallstones. One of the little sods got trapped in a duct, triggering off pancreatitis attack. Which in severe cases cause death.
It seems mine is not to severe, it has calmed down a bit, had a procedure yesterday afternoon they went down via my throat and sliced open a duct to let the stone pass, and make the hole a bit bigger for any future stones.

The surgeon told me that there is always a chance that this procedure itself can cause another attack of pancreatitis.

The only thing that touched the pain when it was at its worst was morphine. Boy that was good. It ran out Tuesday and the pains came back, I thought I was going to die, I had pins and needles, severe pain right through my body, I was perspiring and wailing loudly on the ward.

I am not a yo yo dieter, this is the very first diet I have ever tried...

Blimey Gazter sounds hellish. Get well soon :)

I've just spotted this thread. I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago after suffering the agonising pain of gallstones on and off for a few years. I was never spoken to about my diet. I was overweight when I had the pain & the operation but not as much as I am now! Still, having read up a lot on it since & reading that lots of others in my situation were told they must follow a low fat diet, I am surprised it was never even discussed with me, not once. Oh well, at least I'm making a conscious effort to sort out what I eat now!

My friend was also told that losing weight very quickly can also speed up either the formation or detection of gall stones (she wasn't sure which) as she had been on a vlcd and then ended up in hospital. Think someone else mentioned it on this or another thread too. So that's another tick for SW

My friend was also told that losing weight very quickly can also speed up either the formation or detection of gall stones (she wasn't sure which) as she had been on a vlcd and then ended up in hospital. Think someone else mentioned it on this or another thread too. So that's another tick for SW

Yes. If you eat a low to no fat diet the gallbladder has very little to do, the salts in the liver bile that it holds can solidify, and get stuck in the ducts when the gall bladder releases its store of bile to digest that fatty food you have just eaten.

A stone got stuck in my duct a few days ago. Causing the bile to go through the pancrease to get to the intestines. This activates the enzymes in the pancrease causing it to start digesting itself!

it gets inflamed and its downhill from there.

Gallstones can be formed in all kinds of circumstances though, a high fat diet, a very low fat diet etc etc

Back